U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 PM

21,141 posts, read 22,118,386 times

Advertisements

Haven't started thinking about this yet but I guess I should....

Most likely:

Ham
broccoli/cauliflower/bacon salad (DD's favorite)
deviled eggs
rolls
fresh fruit
maybe some kind of cheesy potato ....

mimosas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM

22,690 posts, read 28,576,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If they keep kosher OR keeping kosher for Passover, then you shouldn't bring that into their home. It's made with milk, and it can't be served with meat, or kept in the same refrigerator as meat.

If they're not keeping kosher for passover, AND they don't keep kosher in general, then all bets are off
they never keep kosher but i do believe my aunt has a fit over the bread/cake issue associated with kosher for passover. but its my dad's house not hers. im still debating whether to bring a baked good that clearly will bother her or just stick with the arroz con pollo and coquito.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,799,764 times
My family lives far away....so likely no passover dinner for me....and I am just not into it....so likely either we will be going out or hubby will be cooking....something tells me we will be going out
Though he did win my family over by making a mean hamantaschen...nothing like a catholic boy learning to make a good israeli cookie lol

Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM

9,341 posts, read 24,690,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im still debating whether to bring a baked good that clearly will bother her or just stick with the arroz con pollo and coquito.
If your aunt is Ashkenazi, then no rice for Pesach (Passover), either.

Ashkenazi (central and eastern European) Jews do not eat kitniyot (kit-NEE-yot), which includes foods such as rice, corn, peanuts, and legumes (beans) that are prohibited by the rulings of Ashkenazic rabbis, during Pesach. Sephardic (Spanish and Portuguese) Jews do not follow these restrictions.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
If your aunt is Ashkenazi, then no rice for Pesach (Passover), either.

Ashkenazi (central and eastern European) Jews do not eat kitniyot (kit-NEE-yot), which includes foods such as rice, corn, peanuts, and legumes (beans) that are prohibited by the rulings of Ashkenazic rabbis, during Pesach. Sephardic (Spanish and Portuguese) Jews do not follow these restrictions.
my aunt is nothing, the only time she pretends to care about anything kosher is passover. we could eat bacon and egg sandwiches and she would probably be fine but bake a cake, no no no!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:20 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,288,574 times
My MIL will have Easter dinner - ham, mashed potatoes, corn, green bean casserole (gross!), deviled eggs, peas, dinner rolls....and for dessert chocolate cream pie and apple pie - probably some cookies.

I don't each much of that menu..I don't like ham - or corn - or peas - or green bean casserole(gross!).

As long as their are Cadbury Creme Eggs somewhere - I'm set

Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM

alrighty, the chicken for the arroz con pollo will be purchased with this deal below. i also included by strawberry jam deal. right now i always buy grape jelly for my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because its the cheapest and i love it. so its a little treat to see 75 cents a pound strawberry jam. also i think my wife will use it so that saves me from buying her fancy guava jelly.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 AM

well, i went to the store this morning to pick up my jelly and there was a sign on the door saying the store is closed until further notice. then i called their phone number and they are permaclosed! so no cheap strawberry jelly for me.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 PM

239 posts, read 422,247 times
my family has had the same thing every year for my 23 years of existence! Ham, deviled eggs, broccolli salad, mashed potatoes, fruit w/ fruit dip, green beans, baked beans, rolls, and of course Granny's famous mac & cheese. + a lot i missed i'm sure. yeah, we have a big family!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM

33,596 posts, read 51,807,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Ham, some kind of potatoes with cheese, a green veggy dish I haven't decided on yet, and a dessert that is still a mystery. I am still on the fence about appetizers, too. I need to get serious!
I noticed that does not matter what holiday, most Americans will eat turkey and ham...
This is also the most popular item in restaurant's "Holidays Buffet". I can't stand ham as a dish, however smoked/cooked ham as a cold cut, with horseradish is delicious!

Last edited by elnina; 04-14-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink