U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Just remembered DD's roommate who will be visiting us for Easter, is a vegetarian.....any thoughts on a dish or two as an alternative to the ham we will also be serving? I can still have my broccoli salad just with the bacon on the side...
Eggplant Ratatouille is a great veggie dish that everyone can enjoy, but makes an awesome main dish for the non-meat crowd. Another eggplant dish is baba ganoush, which you can serve with falafel and tahini.

Don't do anything "parm" because many vegetarians also don't eat dairy (which is not meat, but is also not plant-based).

Definitely look into middle-eastern, especially Lebanese and Syrian foods; other than lamb, they tend to be much more veggie-oriented than other ethnic food types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 11:57 AM

2,870 posts, read 4,459,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Definitely look into middle-eastern, especially Lebanese and Syrian foods; other than lamb, they tend to be much more veggie-oriented than other ethnic food types.
I just picked up some dried garbanzo beans and I'm gonna get some dried favas too. I've been really dying for falafel, so I'll try making them from scratch. I have tahini. If you've got a local 99 Cents Only store, check your aisles for jars of organic tahini and buy a bunch.

Otherwise for Easter, it's the usual suspects: turkey, ham, prawns; various sides, potatoes and gravy; salads, a dressed cold platter of vegetables (asparagus, roast peppers, artichokes, baby corn), plus cucumbers and pita for the falafel. Dessert? Who knows...

Old 04-22-2011, 03:32 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,971,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I confess, no idea right now.

Anyone decided?
Here in south Louisiana, most people do a crawfish boil. It's gotten to the point that live Louisiana crawfish are hard to find. There has even been a string of robberies in which large bags of live crawfish have been stolen.

That wouldn't be a good Passover meal though.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:32 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,250,807 times
good Friday is stuffed artichokes and of course fish
holy saturday is and Sicilian version of an empanada called "scacha" and of course fish
sunday is usually lamb

Old 04-22-2011, 03:58 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,424,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Brisket (a family favorite)
potato casserole
fresh green beans
homemade sourdough rolls
Pecan Pie
Iced Tea
I need an address if you want me to come over and help eat that.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 PM

910 posts, read 1,356,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I need an address if you want me to come over and help eat that.
Aww, thank you, that is sweet! We love company and are in central Texas. We love brisket and have even had it along with turkey on Thanksgiving. I guess it is one of those family traditions. Happy Easter to you and to everyone out there...enjoy the memories with your families!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 PM

28,880 posts, read 15,969,660 times
I'm having my Easter celebration tomorrow instead of Sunday because my sisters will be spending Easter Sunday with their in-laws.

So far, I already have the ham baked and ready to go. One of my sisters is supposed to bring a quiche and the other one is supposed to bring a casserole of some kind (it's a surprise--I hope it's not an unpleasant one). A friend of my mom and her husband are coming over and she's bringing homemade chocolate cake and lemon bars for dessert.

As far as side dishes, so far rice pilaf and possibly sweet potatoes, but I'm not positive on that yet.

Happy Easter to everyone! Enjoy the day with your families and create those special memories.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:54 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,117,065 times
OK finally got it finalized. Family BBQ pot luck at Dad house.

Mesquite Charcoal BBQ marinated Santa Maria style Tri-tip, Marinated Artichoke heart pasta salad, Cranberry Broccoli salad, Spicy deviled eggs, killer orange fruit salad, fresh baked focaccia bread, Creamy Red potato salad, Grilled garlic marinated fresh cut asparagus and beer.

Desert menu still being worked on. I do know dear Sister is bringing her key-lime bars. OMGoodness those are good.

I'm Head BBQ person of course.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:03 AM

24,671 posts, read 55,573,739 times
Seafood Crepes, Roast Turkey, Kahlua Baked Ham, Braised Lamb Shanks, Smoked St Louis Ribs with a bourbon orange glaze and, for sweeties, home-made strawberry rhubarb pie, blueberry pie, apple pie and suicidal chocolate brownies. So much to prep, so little time!

Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,151,450 times
We are having lasagna, salad, garlic bread, and strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert. If I was with my family, we would be doing the traditional honey baked ham, scalloped potatoes or cheesy potato casserole, rolls, cucumber salad, baked beans, green beans or asparagus, etc. And angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream for dessert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink