U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,007,668 times

Advertisements

Lasagna with fresh Italian bread and a big salad. No one in my family really likes ham, and my mom makes Lasagna because we have turkey for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,895,144 times
bbq (most likely fajitas with fixings to go with it)
deviled eggs
pasta salad
creamed corn
ranch style beans
cupcakes

Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 AM

16,232 posts, read 25,459,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i don't think this has a lot to do with being Jewish, it is the way some families entertain compared to others. Our son in law is Jewish, or was raisded Jewish but isn't practicing anymore. His mom, not only was not a good cook she didn't go overboard with the amount of food she served or number of choices. I have a good friend who is also Jewish and she cooks just the way your aunt taught you. Thus I am not sure the habit of serving a lot of food is cultural as much as family habit. I could be wrong. Perhaps it even has to do with length of time a family has lived in America and/or region. I know my husand's southern family always had zillions of choices at hiliday time and I always visualize the large Italian or Mexican family with lots of food and laughter sharing a Sunday dinner.

Nita
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I am not jewish either but my mom always taught me to make more food than you need because you can always have leftovers or share the leftovers with someone. If I cook for 2 I make enough for 4 people if I cook for 4 I make enough for 8. I have been to dinner at someone else's where there is just enough food you are afraid to take seconds or you get the look. For Easter we are supposed to have 12 but it may be 6 because my SIL's father is not well and the family maybe going out of town to see him. Anyway I am still making the same amount of food even if it's only 6 of us. I can share my leftovers with my MIL and mom.
I'm not just talking about the insane quantity, I'm talking also about the variety of choices.

Lubby, you're talking about making enough for 4 when you're only serving 2. That's fine. I do that all the time. But when we're 6 people, and there's enough food for at least 20 people, that's crazy.

Here's an example of a Passover meal for 6 people at my aunt's house. I won't even get into all the little snacky type things that are scattered around the tables. I'm just talking about the meal itself:

Matzoh ball soup (with leftovers for everyone to take home)
Green salad
Cucumber salad
Brisket (two of them)
Meatballs
Chicken
(Did you count that? THREE meats!)
Salmon (because someone might not be in the mood for meat!)
Roasted potatoes
Potato kugel
Vegetable kugel
Roasted veggies
(That's FOUR different sides for 6 people)

I won't even talk about dessert because, really, who has room for dessert at that point?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 AM

184,077 posts, read 75,032,845 times
I know it won't be turkey. I could be grilled brisked over mesquite charcoal or a fully cooked smoked ham heated on the Weber. To hot to light the oven. And then again it might just be a peanut butter and banana sandwich laced with Nutella.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:41 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,360,448 times
It will be the classic, ham. We'll probably also have rolls, sweet potatoes, and maybe spinich salad.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 AM

16,949 posts, read 19,717,595 times
I just made apple sauce muffins to go with my Easter meal and froze them. I have decided to scale down the amount of food. I making enough for 10 even though there will be 6 and have decided to make a broccoli bake instead of corn.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 PM

22,744 posts, read 28,613,182 times
i have a costco bag of almonds that i bought a while ago to make almond milk. well, it was good but it went bad too fast so its not a viable option forme. so i was looking for something i could make with the almonds that included stuff i already have on hand. so im making these candied almond things. im also bringing this costco tiramisu cake that has been in my freezer since last holiday. someone else showed up with the exact same cake so i took mine home. i hope its good when it unfreezes.

the almonds are cooked with egg white, sugar, cinnemon and salt. all stuff i have on hand and im sure they will be yummy.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM

44,358 posts, read 35,425,412 times
For 2012: Honey-Baked sliced ham, green bean casserole, scalloped potatoes, rolls, iced tea, coffee. Not sure what dessert will look like yet.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 AM

16,949 posts, read 19,717,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have a costco bag of almonds that i bought a while ago to make almond milk. well, it was good but it went bad too fast so its not a viable option forme. so i was looking for something i could make with the almonds that included stuff i already have on hand. so im making these candied almond things. im also bringing this costco tiramisu cake that has been in my freezer since last holiday. someone else showed up with the exact same cake so i took mine home. i hope its good when it unfreezes.

the almonds are cooked with egg white, sugar, cinnemon and salt. all stuff i have on hand and im sure they will be yummy.
It will be fine, we froze a peice of our wedding cake and 1 year later it was just as delicious.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 AM

22,744 posts, read 28,613,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
It will be fine, we froze a peice of our wedding cake and 1 year later it was just as delicious.
thats a good point, thanks. now that you mention it i remember my wife did the same thing with the wedding cake. a lady at work and my wife both had doubts about my cake still being good. i took it from the freezer to the fridge last night and noticed it said "sell by 11/3/11." so its about 5 months old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink