Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,557,004 times

Advertisements

I'll have ham. That means plenty of sandwiches, creamed ham, ham to mix in scrambled eggs, omlettes, and egg fu yung, and, at the end, split pea soup.

I can eat ham for two weeks straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,622,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Easter Sunday will be at my house, same as last year. We used to go out for brunch but it was getting expensive and you felt rushed. I am making:
Chicken cordon bleu
Green bean casserole
Tossed salad
Corn in butter sauce
Homemade brioche muffins
Rice pilaf.
My SIL is making scalloped potatoes. For dessert not sure, maybe angel food cake or cheese cake.

Lubby, your menu sounds delicious! I haven't made chicken cordon bleu in years - you're making me reconsider.

banana berry punch
chicken cordon bleu (thanks to you)
Italian spinach salad
tomato/basil/cheese pasta bake
cream-filled carrot cupcakes

Last edited by Praline; 03-20-2012 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: addition to post

Old 03-20-2012, 11:56 AM

878 posts, read 2,731,655 times
Good Friday, the traditional fried fish and hot cross buns with cheese.
Easter Sunday we will have lamb with all the trimmings.
Easter is my favorite holiday of the year followed closely by Christmas.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,400,716 times
I know we will have ham and either go to our daughters or our younger granddaughters. Everything depends on whether our older granddaughter and her family drives over from OKC> Their second little girl was born yesterday. I feel pretty sure they may want to share the holiday with us. If so, the dinner will be a little bigger I am thinking. We will have deviled eggs for sure, probably asparagus, (our favorite) and another veggie for our grandson in law who never learned to eat asparagus. We will have fruit salad and probably green as well.

Dens, growing up we always had lamb. Thanksgiving was turkey and Christmas was either turkey or prime rib, New Years day was the day for ham. By Easter we could look forward to leg of lamb. Unfortunately there are only a few of us that like lamb.

Nita

Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 PM

17,169 posts, read 16,318,420 times
We usually have ham, deviled eggs, various veggie dishes.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM

20,890 posts, read 28,275,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Lubby, your menu sounds delicious! I haven't made chicken cordon bleu in years - you're making me reconsider.

banana berry punch
chicken cordon bleu (thanks to you)
Italian spinach salad
tomato/basil/cheese pasta bake
cream-filled carrot cupcakes
Yeah chicken cordon blue is so easy to make for a large crowd,I might be having 12 for dinner. My recipe is as follows

12-16 thin chicken cutlets
12-16 slices deli ham sliced thin
12-16 slices deli swiss slcied thin
1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 1 /2 sticks butter melted

Pre-heat oven to 425

Take chicken cutlets and lay them out flat on a cutting board, place one slice ham and one slice swiss, roll, dip in melted butter, then in bread crumbs and place in 13X9 baking dish, you may need 2 dishes depending on how many you make. keep repeating process until all chicken is done. Place chicken in oven for 20 minutes. In a glass 2 cup measure put in chicken broth and wine, stir. After 20 minutes lower temperature to 350 and pour broth and wine over the top and bake 10-12 minutes more. Do not over cook or chicken will be tough and dry. I usually test it by cutting with a knife and if it cuts easily and juices are clear and meat is not pink then it's done.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah chicken cordon blue is so easy to make for a large crowd,I might be having 12 for dinner. My recipe is as follows

12-16 thin chicken cutlets
12-16 slices deli ham sliced thin
12-16 slices deli swiss slcied thin
1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 1 /2 sticks butter melted

Pre-heat oven to 425

Take chicken cutlets and lay them out flat on a cutting board, place one slice ham and one slice swiss, roll, dip in melted butter, then in bread crumbs and place in 13X9 baking dish, you may need 2 dishes depending on how many you make. keep repeating process until all chicken is done. Place chicken in oven for 20 minutes. In a glass 2 cup measure put in chicken broth and wine, stir. After 20 minutes lower temperature to 350 and pour broth and wine over the top and bake 10-12 minutes more. Do not over cook or chicken will be tough and dry. I usually test it by cutting with a knife and if it cuts easily and juices are clear and meat is not pink then it's done.
Yum. That recipe looks really good!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Yum. That recipe looks really good!
It is and has been a family tradition for Easter dinner the past 15 years.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
It is and has been a family tradition for Easter dinner the past 15 years.
I'll bet that simmering it white wine makes it really tender and flavorful, too. It sounds delicious.

I'm making a *very* quick version of cordon bleu tonight -

Chicken breasts sprinkled with Italian seasonings (dh's will be coated in bread crumbs) baked in the oven then topped with a T of Ragu Alfredo sauce, thin sliced ham and swiss and baked until cheese is melted.

It's pretty good. But it wouldn't hold a candle to what you're making on Easter!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'll bet that simmering it white wine makes it really tender and flavorful, too. It sounds delicious.

I'm making a *very* quick version of cordon bleu tonight -

Chicken breasts sprinkled with Italian seasonings (dh's will be coated in bread crumbs) baked in the oven then topped with a T of Ragu Alfredo sauce, thin sliced ham and swiss and baked until cheese is melted.

It's pretty good. But it wouldn't hold a candle to what you're making on Easter!
Your version sounds tasty too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink