Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
if your catholic, not in Boston, and the feast is on Friday, and lent-not to be!
not true this year, and Boston, gets to eat meat, on the friday, for St Patrick!
we get mac or tuna. wonder, if we fly to Boston on 3-17-when on the friday, which rule follows? oh well! go Boston Bo Sox!
actually i remember people telling me their priest said it was ok--lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
actually i remember people telling me their priest said it was ok--lol
the florida st petersburg, said a big no when it was on Friday, yes we could, say, true boston Irish, and put out the
blarney, why bother! I had tuna fish!-sorry st. Patrick!. in Boston, they never
would pull this off. even with Richard Cushing on a friday, and fenway, when he had the nuns-on a friday? what did he say? fenway, and the franks, and a friday? it the no meat days! of course boston never won! however, I am Boston born, and did root
for the Bo Sox. yikes in my life time they did win, not once, but twice! If this works, I love tuna fish, for a win for Boston!

Last edited by maggiekate; 03-07-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 03:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
[URL="http://www.europeancuisines.com/Why-We-Have-No-Corned-Beef-Recipes"] European Cuisines ...[/URL]
Hey, thanks for the link back to our site!

For those who're interested, we've got a St. Patrick's Day [url=http://www.europeancuisines.com/Ireland-Irish-Saint-St-Patricks-Day-Festival-Of-Traditional-Authentic-Recipes]festival of Irish recipes[/url] running at the moment -- some possibilities there for those of you who want to do something traditional but different. We're putting up a new recipe every day until St. Pat's (and the recipes from 2007 are linked on that page too).

There are also two Irish recipe collections [url=http://www.europeancuisines.com/Our-Main-Irish-Recipe-Collection]here[/url] and [url=http://www.europeancuisines.com/Our-Secondary-Irish-Recipe-Collection]here,[/url] a collection of [url=http://www.europeancuisines.com/Irish-Stew-Recipes]Irish stew recipes[/url], and [url=http://www.europeancuisines.com/Peters-Mums-Soda-Bread-Recipe]a soda bread page with video tutorials[/url].

Oh, and there's also a page about [url=http://www.europeancuisines.com/Ireland-Irish-Potato-Candy-Recipe] the potato candy.[/url]

Have a great St Patrick's day, everybody!

Best -- EuroCuisineLady
(uh oh, links don't seem to be displaying correctly...sorry, all...)

Last edited by EuroCuisineLady; 03-08-2008 at 04:01 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 01:10 PM

324 posts, read 883,600 times
I found this recipe for Crock-Pot Corned Beef on ParentsConnect.com It looks really easy and they've got some other cute St. Patty's day ideas on the site too!

Crock Pot Corned Beef

Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
my most favorite, irish soda bread with rasins! nobody does that anymore! sad me!
maybe some baked twice over potatoes? with , whatever! If I were, guarding my wee pot, lots of Gold, and copper!
the soda bread, I just may send a rainbow, while I take a small slice! Happy March 17th!
my mom makes irish soda bread with raisins. I LOVE it! yummy! My other favorite is REAL brown bread.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,363 times
WE DON'T EAT CORNED BEEF!!!!
(i do like it though..)
A proper Irish dinner is Potatoe, cabbage and cooked ham with white sauce!
(Bacon and cabbage it's more commonly known over here as)
That's proper Irish food

Old 03-12-2008, 02:25 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
We always have Sunday dinner with the family - inlaws, bro/sis in laws so we are celebrating St Paddys day on Sunday. We are actually trying to do all green food (except the meat

Corned beef/potatoes (even though it apparently not traditional)
Green Bean casserole
Spinach pasta with a pesto sauce
Watergate salad
Green mint cupcakes for dessert
Homemade limeade

My dd is making the decorations this week.

We are going to start having theme dinners too - we have Easter coming up, and we are having an Elvis dinner - complete with grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches!

Old 03-13-2008, 05:03 AM

12 posts, read 42,508 times
[quote=MrKrabs;3062138]Corned beef and cabbage is not a truly Irish dish. Its not common in Ireland. It was mainly eaten by Irish-Americans who emigrated to the US because they were extremely poor and it was all they could afford. Ireland: Why We Have No Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipes | European Cuisines

I have never heard of Irish people eating corned beef and cabbage, before today, but we would eat Bacon and cabbage, also known as bubble and squeak!!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:03 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
i know how the irish feel --i am italian and half the things you see in Italian retsuarants here dont exist in Italy.
but just like those "italian" dishes have become an american favorite--so has corned beef on St. Paddy's

Old 03-13-2008, 06:16 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
what about a nice corned beef? tastes so good on rye with mustard! mmm
Thats what I'm thinking, a nice corned beef, with cabbage and new potatos, maybe some green beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink