U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 PM

54,258 posts, read 38,320,227 times

Advertisements

Oysters & Guinness for an appy

Irish Lamb Stew for the entree

Yummmmmmmmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 01:00 PM

2,937 posts, read 2,917,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Oysters & Guinness for an appy

Irish Lamb Stew for the entree

Yummmmmmmmmmm

That sounds good!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM

11 posts, read 23,854 times
Couldn't resist this post !!
Being from the Green Isle, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents (euro cent that is!!)

We actually shorten St Patricks Day to Paddy's Day. And believe me it is not just a holy day!
Originally hailing from Dublin I can tell you we have always celebrated our National holiday with lots of good food and of course lots of drink. Granted we do start the day by attending our local church for Paddys Day mass which is then followed by our local parade after which a stop off at the local pub with family and friends for a few bevies (drink of choice). Then on to dinner, my favourite being a Dublin Lawyer here's the link for the recipe
Irish People and Ireland - Irish news, events in Ireland, Irish culture, genealogy, music, Ireland travel

The original version of Cornbeef and cabbage is Bacon and Cabbage but we would have that with spuds and parsley sauce....mouth watering !
Here's another link for that and Irish stew
Irish Emigrant - News and jobs for the global Irish community (broken link)

No Paddys day is complete without some traditional music and dance so we normally head back to the bar for the night or to some family or friends house for some great craic (If you are enjoying yourself, it is good craic)

Anyway I better stop...feelin a bit homesick now!
I hope you have a fantastic Paddy's day celebration where ever you are as I've discovered on my travels ...we are everywhere!
Rath Dé ort

Old 03-07-2008, 02:43 PM

31,227 posts, read 57,405,335 times
Green beer.

What?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:15 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,947,211 times
Green beer is just wrong.

Soda Bread? There are recipes on the web. Just make sure your recipe includes buttermilk.

Or I have served a slab of smoked salmon alongside cream cheese and some water crackers... goes great with guiness.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,193,288 times
Thanks for sharing, moving2georgia. I have a recipe book of Irish cooking that does mention bacon and cabbage, as well as spuds and parsley sauce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Or I have served a slab of smoked salmon alongside cream cheese and some water crackers... goes great with guiness.
::mouth begins to water::
Actually, Guinness itself is almost like a side dish.
Holding up a pint of that stuff is almost like raising up a glass of maple syrup.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:51 PM

11 posts, read 23,854 times
Would agree, Bluewillow when my Mom was pregnant with me (many moons ago) her doctor recommended a glass of the "black stuff" every now and again...very nutritious
I was never partial even though I got to lick the cream of my Da's pint as a kid .
I prefer a drop of Jameson's which is also the best for Irish Coffee.
A hint with the bacon and cabbage, if you slow cook the bacon in water use that water to cook the cabbage ...very soft cabbage and tasty!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:36 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,291,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Green beer is just wrong

LOL who cares what color it is as long as the result it the same

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:36 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,072,275 times
my most favorite, irish soda bread with rasins! nobody does that anymore! sad me!
maybe some baked twice over potatoes? with , whatever! If I were, guarding my wee pot, lots of Gold, and copper!
the soda bread, I just may send a rainbow, while I take a small slice! Happy March 17th!

Last edited by maggiekate; 03-07-2008 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,072,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
what about a nice corned beef? tastes so good on rye with mustard! mmm
if your catholic, not in Boston, and the feast is on Friday, and lent-not to be!
not true this year, and Boston, gets to eat meat, on the friday, for St Patrick!
we get mac or tuna. wonder, if we fly to Boston on 3-17-when on the friday, which rule follows? oh well! go Boston Bo Sox!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink