U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:13 PM

1,939 posts, read 5,478,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
actually i remember people telling me their priest said it was ok--lol
Actually, if a Saints Day falls on a Friday during lent, you are allowed to eat meat. The Bible calls it the "Code of Canon Law".. you get a dispensation for that day as long as you take on some other form of "penance" : )

Last edited by Oobie119; 03-13-2008 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: clarifying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 PM

1,939 posts, read 5,478,099 times
[quote=Dixie245;3124504]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Corned beef and cabbage is not a truly Irish dish. Its not common in Ireland. It was mainly eaten by Irish-Americans who emigrated to the US because they were extremely poor and it was all they could afford. Ireland: Why We Have No Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipes | European Cuisines

I have never heard of Irish people eating corned beef and cabbage, before today, but we would eat Bacon and cabbage, also known as bubble and squeak!!
Bubble and Squeak!! LOL I love that.. and no corned beef?? Oh, wait, substitue the corned beef for a big pile of bacon? Even better! So if the "flatulence" from the cabbage doesnt kill you, you'll have a heartattack.. Ah I love being Irish!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 PM

10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
[quote=Oobie119;3128467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie245 View Post

Bubble and Squeak!! LOL I love that.. and no corned beef?? Oh, wait, substitue the corned beef for a big pile of bacon? Even better! So if the "flatulence" from the cabbage doesnt kill you, you'll have a heartattack.. Ah I love being Irish!
Nah, Irish bacon is more like ham or Canadian Bacon, unfortunately!

Irish Bacon (http://www.karlehmer.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=71 - broken link)

Old 03-13-2008, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 38,869 times
[quote=Oobie119;3128467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie245 View Post

Ha, my mistake i should have said ham and cabbage, we call bacon, rashers!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:09 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,612,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markllew View Post
WE DON'T EAT CORNED BEEF!!!!
(i do like it though..)
A proper Irish dinner is Potatoe, cabbage and cooked ham with white sauce!
(Bacon and cabbage it's more commonly known over here as)
That's proper Irish food
Instead of ham, my da's irish family had smoked butt ! Your right, the Irish side will not eat corned beef, they say its as irish as pizza hut is italian.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 PM

634 posts, read 2,668,099 times
Anything with potatoes...

I don't know seasoned diced baked potatoes?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 AM

2,937 posts, read 2,910,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Actually, if a Saints Day falls on a Friday during lent, you are allowed to eat meat. The Bible calls it the "Code of Canon Law".. you get a dispensation for that day as long as you take on some other form of "penance" : )

The local Bishop has to grant a dispensation. That has happened here where the Bishop would grant a dispensation, but the Bishop of a neighboring diocese did not. Personally, I wouldn't eat meat on a Friday in Lent, dispensation or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink