Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,385 times

Advertisements

I have been drinking coffee all my life. My grandmother, who was from Eastern Europe, would give me half-milk and half-coffee in my baby bottle. I am not joking! Since she ended up babysitting a lot of times, my parents could not stop her from doing this. To her, coffee was just another hot beverage. Plus, she was VERY stubborn!

As I grew older, she would send me to the local grocery to buy rye bread just as it was delivered very early in the A.M. Meanwhile, she would be perking some coffee and when it was done, we sat down to warm rye bread and butter, and of course freshly brewed coffee.

Coffee to me is a comfort food. Don't think it's done me any harm. If someone slices me open, they might find my veins filled with the stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 08:21 AM

226 posts, read 298,027 times
I learned to like coffee when we retired and started eating out often in restaurants. Restaurants are always so cold! At first I just held the cup of coffee to warm my hands but then started sipping it with desserts and liked it. Today I drink plain black coffee all the time.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:06 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
How much is a cup?

I have a mug that holds about about 14 oz. (~150mg caffeine) filled at my local independent roaster about 4-6 times a week. So I guess that is about 2 "cups" per day, roughly?
According to most coffee pots and coffee purveyors, a cup of coffee is 6 oz.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Yes, 6-8 oz. is recognized as the standard serving size.

Whether this is realistically a common serving size or not, much like eating a single Pop-Tart pastry.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I drink coffee every day. I drink coffee until about 12:00pm. Really...it works out to about 2 cups...I'll sip on it, even when it turns cold.

I also like iced coffee. Sometimes I'll make a pitcher of super strong coffee and put it in the refrigerator...and then I pour it over a big travel type of mug. I usually drink my coffee black.

My exception to black coffee is the rare occasions I get a Starbucks. Then I get cream to go with it.

I'm not adverse to flavored coffees or flavored creamers...I'll do that once in awhile...but not everyday.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
THis came up this weekend with a dietitian family member. Her comment was that the dose makes the poison, not unlike anything else. Coffee has health benefits for your liver.

She did indicate that too much of it is probably bad for calcium uptake in women, but that if you're getting the proper amount of calcium that normal coffee drinking shouldn't hurt.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_filter_coffee

Started drinking around 6 or 7 and drank it until I finished college and got out. Always made with milk, sugar and hot.

Was a regular Starbucks Latte drinker and gradually reduced it somehow.

Love the Colombian coffee too.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I do not care what the *experts* say, I will have the 6.5 ounce espresso, regular coffee, cold brewed coffee of various grinds and roasts whenever I want.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,385 times
I drink from 13 oz. mugs, and have quite the collection. Anything less is definitely not enough. Too bad my camera is not working properly or I would line some of them up and take a photo. Historical characters, funny quotes, Alice in Wonderland (love Alice) etc. At least it's a harmless hobby!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Like a couple of others, I didn't start drinking coffee until my forties. Before that, I would only drink it if I was driving and needed a jolt. At some point in my forties, my office was especially cold and I started going to the coffee mess a few steps away to have something warm in my hands. It wasn't particularly good coffee but it was hot, and I was drinking too much of it. I still start my morning with a cup of coffee and usually stop at just one. I've found that for me, too much caffeine raises my bp and contributes to uti's. Unless it's particularly strong, I drink it black. If I add cream, it's just plain cream. Don't care for flavored cream or coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink