Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:00 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,111,569 times

Advertisements

I don't like to use glass containers in the refrigerator. If one falls to the floor, it creates a big mess and on a tile floor, it is almost impossible to gather up all of the shards of glass.

The DW decided that my glass bottle of Tabasco "had to be refrigerated" as opposed to putting it in the pantry. I am still finding shards from that accident.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:15 AM

19,383 posts, read 27,635,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
After years of hating that they get discolored (from sauce), that some get deformed in the dishwasher (if I forgot to put them in the top rack) or in the microwave (because, heck, I don't care if a chemical leeches into the food; I've got worse problems), I tossed all of my plastic and bought glass. I LOVE THE GLASS ONES!! They come with lids. They're in a bunch of different sizes. They go in the fridge, the freezer, the dishwasher, the microwave (not the lid, I guess), even the oven (definitely not the lid, of course).
Yeah, the staining was why I gave up on those ones you buy at the grocery store. I also didn't like that they weren't clear. So I switched to something like these that are clear, hard plastic, do fine in the dishwasher, and don't stain.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/premier-rp091260--1

(Purchased cheaper at Costco. )

Old 04-30-2017, 08:04 AM

15,238 posts, read 8,845,250 times
Quote:
After years of hating that they get discolored (from sauce), that some get deformed in the dishwasher (if I forgot to put them in the top rack) or in the microwave (because, heck, I don't care if a chemical leeches into the food; I've got worse problems), I tossed all of my plastic and bought glass. I LOVE THE GLASS ONES!! They come with lids. They're in a bunch of different sizes. They go in the fridge, the freezer, the dishwasher, the microwave (not the lid, I guess), even the oven (definitely not the lid, of course).
Glass, even microwave-safe, can and does crack under the intense heat of the microwave. About two years ago I bought a set of 10 microwave-safe glass bowls. At first they seemed to work pretty good, but in the last eight months, seven of the ten have cracked, and I had to throw them away. I still have the plastic lids though. No discoloration and no deformation on them. The lids still look as good as new. Meanwhile I have gone back to using much older plastic containers in the microwave. As for discoloration, the inside of my old microwave oven is discolored from white to yellow, even brown in some parts. Since the insides of all microwave ovens I have ever seen are made of plastic, I'm not sure you are accomplishing much by keeping plasticware out of the microwave. I would probably replace it though, when it starts getting discolored.

As for the dishwasher, from my experience some plastic is dishwasher-safe, and some is not. If it is not, it usually deforms the first time it is washed, regardless of which rack it is on. I have never had a problem with a microwave-safe plastic dish deforming in the dishwasher.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,905,055 times
For everyone concerned about storing food in plastic containers, do you also avoid food that is sold or wrapped in plastic?

Old 04-30-2017, 08:16 AM

15,238 posts, read 8,845,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
For everyone concerned about storing food in plastic containers, do you also avoid food that is sold or wrapped in plastic?
And Ziploc storage bags. How anyone can live without plastic in their kitchens these days, is beyond me. I love plastic. It' keeps food amazingly fresh.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,903,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yeah, the staining was why I gave up on those ones you buy at the grocery store. I also didn't like that they weren't clear. So I switched to something like these that are clear, hard plastic, do fine in the dishwasher, and don't stain.

Premier | Rubbermaid

(Purchased cheaper at Costco. )
My Costco list gets longer every day. Most of it is your fault, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Glass, even microwave-safe, can and does crack under the intense heat of the microwave.
Well, THAT sucks! On the plus side, I'm generally good about taking stuff out of the fridge or freezer, and letting it get (close) to room temperature before I nuke it. I'll happily go back to plastic (again, I don't give a hoot about leeching chemicals) if glass starts cracking on me. (Jkgourmet already told me which ones to get, too! )

Old 04-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
And Ziploc storage bags. How anyone can live without plastic in their kitchens these days, is beyond me. I love plastic. It' keeps food amazingly fresh.
Heck, I cook in those things when I use my sous vide.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
My Costco list gets longer every day. Most of it is your fault, too.

Well, THAT sucks! On the plus side, I'm generally good about taking stuff out of the fridge or freezer, and letting it get (close) to room temperature before I nuke it. I'll happily go back to plastic (again, I don't give a hoot about leeching chemicals) if glass starts cracking on me. (Jkgourmet already told me which ones to get, too! )
I'll add one more to your Costco list: the procuitto they carry is incredibly good, especially given the reasonable price. This one: http://costcocouple.com/wp-content/u...a-Costco-2.jpg

Old 04-30-2017, 09:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,903,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'll add one more to your Costco list: the procuitto they carry is incredibly good, especially given the reasonable price. This one: http://costcocouple.com/wp-content/u...a-Costco-2.jpg
I LOVE PROSCIUTTO!!!!! (I didn't put CAPS on by accident; it's deserved.)

Onto the list...!!! Thank you!!!

Old 04-30-2017, 10:19 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,684,377 times
Yes, I use containers that do not contain BPA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink