Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:36 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,031,450 times

Advertisements

Hey Blondy, bosom buddy, pal o' mine, mensch, homeboy, comrade, amigo, mate, chum, cus'! How ya doin' today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 10:40 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,674,344 times
For wakes I'll send an edible fruit arrangement as families are typically there a long time and some come from out of town. Always much appreciated! Very good and always fresh!

https://www.ediblearrangements.com/f...all-adType^PLA

Old 04-30-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Candy - Morkes in Palatine, IL
Italian Beef/Chicago Hot Dogs/Deep Dish Pizza - Tastes of Chicago
Cheesecake - Eli's
Dinner type stuff - Lobstergram
Speciality food - Can't remember - will look for it tomorrow. I usually use a Swedish website. I send my Mom lingonberry jam

I try to keep it to Chicago/suburbs based places.

I'll add Giordano's pizza in Chicago! They ship around the U.S! And who can resist a Chicago deep dish pizza?

https://www.giordanos.com/shop/

Old 04-30-2017, 11:13 AM

19,371 posts, read 27,598,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
For wakes I'll send an edible fruit arrangement as families are typically there a long time and some come from out of town. Always much appreciated! Very good and always fresh!

https://www.ediblearrangements.com/f...all-adType^PLA
When my mother died, the obit explicitly said " in lieu of flowers, donations would be appreciated to" two different charities.

Nevertheless, I received one fruit basket (and since I was single and there was no wake, most of that fruit ended up in the garbage) and one bouquet of flowers. I appreciated the thought and generosity, but writing those thank you notes just stuck in my throat. The requested donation would have made me MUCH happier.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
When my mother died, the obit explicitly said " in lieu of flowers, donations would be appreciated to" two different charities.

Nevertheless, I received one fruit basket (and since I was single and there was no wake, most of that fruit ended up in the garbage) and one bouquet of flowers. I appreciated the thought and generosity, but writing those thank you notes just stuck in my throat. The requested donation would have made me MUCH happier.
Understandable; however, I stated that I send them to "Wakes" when family will be there for hours at a time. I have never sent one to an individual. I agree that might be a waste. Sorry for your loss.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:02 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,603,571 times
Is this just something wealthy people do in lieu of sending a gift card? Doesn't everyone you can send an overpriced food item to already have access to a grocery store or market?

I have been to parties and events with those Edible Arrangements fruit extravaganzas and truthfully most of it has ended up in the trash. Cut fruit starts getting old as soon as you open the package, and the people who LOVE fresh fruit usually make the effort to prepare it themselves at home on a regular basis.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:07 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,800,727 times
Stay AWAY from Harry and David's.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:24 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,430,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Is this just something wealthy people do in lieu of sending a gift card? Doesn't everyone you can send an overpriced food item to already have access to a grocery store or market?

I have been to parties and events with those Edible Arrangements fruit extravaganzas and truthfully most of it has ended up in the trash. Cut fruit starts getting old as soon as you open the package, and the people who LOVE fresh fruit usually make the effort to prepare it themselves at home on a regular basis.
I am far from wealthy. I send food gifts because I like to. I am a food geek, most people I know are also to some degree or another. They and I are genuinely happy to receive unique, thoughtful gifts.
I never send or give gift cards nor do I like to receive them. I find them way too impersonal. To each his own though!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:31 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,560,441 times
I like the fresh fruit ones, like Sherri's Berries or fruit bouquets like Edible Arrangements.

We've received these as gifts, and really enjoyed them.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:33 PM

11,921 posts, read 8,247,703 times
Enstrom's Toffee in Grand Junction, CO.

Enstrom Candies

Their candies are like gold!

A gift of food is almost always appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink