Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:27 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,442,010 times

Advertisements

The thread is spot on... they can't continue selling currently at what it's at, so they either lower the quality, lower the quantity, or up the price. The latter is DEFINITELY noticeable. The former has happened in a case study/story how the bean counters/accountants at Folgers swapped out Arabica beans (forgot if it was in part or in whole), for coffee beans that were cheaper and not as good. They figured they'll save money, and nobody will notice. They noticed. Consumers ended up buying less and less of their product.

The middle happens throughout...
-Tropicana changed their OJ from 64oz cartons to 59oz. 7.8% difference isn't that huge, but still hardly trivial.
-From the 90s till now, it seems like the sizes for pizzas kept changing.... XL now is what L was in the past. L now is what M used to be, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 07:36 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,521,160 times
The thing that bothers me most is all the water they pump into meat now. A 5 inch beef or turkey pattie shrinks to 3 inches and ends up bobbing around in a pan full of water. It also makes it hard to brown meat in a frying pan because it just keeps steaming and steaming and shrinking and shrinking. Meat never was like this years ago.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:17 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,762,106 times
Especially bacon. There's so much water pumped into bacon - and ham, come to think of it - in the name of "flavoring" its just ridiculous. I guess they think if they call it "flavoring" its not adulteration. When it really is, in fact, adulteration.

Know what I want my bacon and ham to taste like? BACON and HAM, respectively. The stuff doesn't even cook properly. I've learned to get around a lot of the problems with bacon, but ham - ham is just awful these days unless you can afford $100+ for a "specialty" ham that hasn't been adulterated.

Then there are the weights they put in the bottom of laundry products so I can't tell any more when I'm getting to the bottom of the bottle.

And ice cream. I want to buy it by the quart, the half-gallon, or the gallon. NO , I do NOT want 1.75 quarts, I want a half gallon. And now its even worse - they're down to 1.5 quarts instead of a half gallon.

I could live with buying it by the liter - so one liter packages, 2L, and 4L. That's almost the same as (a bit under) a quart, a half gallon, and a gallon. But seriously - why do you insist on shorting me by one cup (and then another cup for a total loss of 2 cups) of product? Just go to liters if you MUST reduce quantity in an attempt to pull the wool over your customer's eyes.

The end result is I just no longer bother to buy ice cream. Probably better for my health that way anyway.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:21 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,160,697 times
Around 2009, food stamps (or whatever you call them) expanded from 18% of households to 37% of households by 2011. That averages about $200 - $230 a month gov't subsidy for groceries per household. CONCOMITANTLY (if you cared to notice) food prices in the grocery stores went up 40% during the ensuing 4 years. Also, to get a "reasonable" price, you have to buy a truckload - or pay double. Yes, the grocery store industry has lobbyists hanging out in DC. Look at the register totals. Connect the dots.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-02-2017 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 PM

61,142 posts, read 85,956,304 times
It's going on for a long time already:

» Downsizing
http://www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...verything.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...ice-cream.html

Old 05-02-2017, 10:11 PM

61,142 posts, read 85,956,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
The thing that bothers me most is all the water they pump into meat now. A 5 inch beef or turkey pattie shrinks to 3 inches and ends up bobbing around in a pan full of water. It also makes it hard to brown meat in a frying pan because it just keeps steaming and steaming and shrinking and shrinking. Meat never was like this years ago.
Yeah ... plumping with salt water. And salt water is heavier than plain water...
What are they pumping into your chicken? | Consumers Union

In the future we should expect more and more adulterated products with less and less meat... all approved by our beloved FDA.
About 30 percent of poultry, 15 percent of beef, and 90 percent of pork are injected with some kind of liquid solution before sale, USDA says, and it's usually something high in sodium. The saline injections reached such high percentages that much of the chicken flavor was lost, so "natural flavor" was added, usually in the form of a concentrated broth, along with corn syrup or other forms of sugar and lemon concentrates. Phosphates are commonly added as a binder, to help the meat retain the water and salt during shipping and cooking.
Besides, chicken that's nearly a 1/5 water is much cheaper to produce.
A package of chicken thighs sold in local markets announces, in almost unnoticeable lettering, that the meat has been enhanced "up to 18%" with water, salt, lemon juice solids, natural lemon flavor, cane juice, corn syrup and other natural flavorings. A shopper who buys this $6 package of chicken is thus paying more than a dollar of that for a complicated salt-and-sugar-water solution. Yum!!!
That processed meat cannot be called "fresh meat" anymore ...
To be fair, the current rules already require disclosure, but most consumers don't notice this fine print.
What goes into chicken - latimes

Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,040,221 times
Ah the dreaded grocery "shrink ray" gun at work! "It's been happening forever"

Old 05-03-2017, 12:58 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,484,883 times
Well, it started with coffee years ago...a "pound", 16 oz., went to 11 oz. It is the same with pasta...it was routinely sold in 16 oz. packages, now it's frequently 12oz.

For those of you who don't consider this to be a big deal...it is. It's food, and you are paying more for less, and inferior quality as well.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:33 AM

6,972 posts, read 4,814,134 times
I just noticed the Ritz crackers were down. They still put in 4 paks of crackers, but boy, are those paks are short now.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:43 AM

524 posts, read 840,343 times
Sugar is now packaged in 4 pd bags instead of five pound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink