U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:32 PM

31,649 posts, read 58,185,708 times

Advertisements

This has been happening since packaged food was born. Are people still surprised when it happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:12 PM

2,854 posts, read 1,084,337 times
Ad in the weekly flyer for Marie Callender's large pot pies, now 15 oz. instead of a pound.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:46 AM

15,120 posts, read 16,972,789 times
Content shrinks, price stays the same = murmurs of discontent

Content stays the same, prices rise = violent outrage

Same outcome for the food corporations, but a much different reaction from the consumer.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:19 PM

20,514 posts, read 25,832,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This has been happening since packaged food was born. Are people still surprised when it happens?

True but it constantly continues. Pretty soon toilet paper will be on a 2 inch roll The first time I noticed a shrinkage in size was back in 1998 with Marlboro cigarettes. I went to buy a pack(ex smoker) and had my old pack next to the new pack on the counter while I was talking. Yup...new ones were about 1/4" shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Content shrinks, price stays the same = murmurs of discontent

Content stays the same, prices rise = violent outrage

Same outcome for the food corporations, but a much different reaction from the consumer.

Problem is the prices have gone up. Still no outrage.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:07 PM

2,854 posts, read 1,084,337 times
It's not just the prices going up, but the quality going down along with the size. Stouffer's frozen foods used to be pretty decent and then they went from chicken chunks to formed chicken, and lousy formed chicken at that. Breyer's doesn't make ice cream any more, not even in those undersized cartons, it's frozen dairy dessert. There should be violent outrage.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 PM

768 posts, read 1,088,868 times
Funny you are all talking about how packaging shrinks but prices stay same, and I'm always complaining that packaging is too much. For instance, milk. The smallest you can buy is 1/2 gallon, sometimes a 1/4 gallon depending what store you are at, but all I need is like 8oz! So i'm always having to buy these large sizes and we waste them. Kinda makes me think of the days when milk was sold in those 8oz bottles. (I wasn't born yet though. Lol). But for reals, they're marketing food in such large quantities meant for large families and it's a waste of money for singles or couples.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:15 AM

18,786 posts, read 19,015,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
Funny you are all talking about how packaging shrinks but prices stay same, and I'm always complaining that packaging is too much. For instance, milk. The smallest you can buy is 1/2 gallon, sometimes a 1/4 gallon depending what store you are at, but all I need is like 8oz! So i'm always having to buy these large sizes and we waste them. Kinda makes me think of the days when milk was sold in those 8oz bottles. (I wasn't born yet though. Lol). But for reals, they're marketing food in such large quantities meant for large families and it's a waste of money for singles or couples.
Borden's, for one, sells milk in an 8oz carton

Old 01-11-2019, 05:31 AM

20,514 posts, read 25,832,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post

Freeze the milk in smaller containers. I do a lot of freezing of things that are too much.

Last edited by ylisa7; 01-11-2019 at 05:42 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 06:41 PM

5,154 posts, read 12,941,036 times
Everything...not just food items, is being "downsized"....I hate it. A lb of coffee is now 11oz...hardly a POUND....tissues used to come 240 per box..now 220 is what you get. Same with everything.
My biggest "peeve" is buying something like aspirin or a cold medication...huge box...big bottle...10 little pills inside. What a waste of packaging!

Old 01-16-2019, 06:20 AM

70,254 posts, read 80,947,622 times
Have to either smile or cry about shrinkage: well not really shrinkage but cost period. Yesterday we had intended to buy fresh salmon at Aldi's cause it was on sale for $8.99 a lb. well, of course they were sold out so, knowing I had to stop at Fresh Market for a few things I decided to splurge and buy it there. . Of course I planned on paying a little more, but $17 a lb nope. I instead choose a Salmon steak that was marinated in a bourbon sause. They were $9.99 each. I thought one looked plenty large enough so I did just that. When I got home I checked the package: it weighed less than 7oz. Guess i learned a hard lesson and now have to add something else to our entree tonight. At least Salmon is very rich so won't have to add much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink