U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 AM

9,475 posts, read 4,253,933 times

Advertisements

Have Thomas' English muffins gotten smaller or is it just my imagination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 AM

974 posts, read 428,872 times
Any time I look at the higher price or smaller size of an item in a store, the first thing I think is how lucky I am to have the opportunity and the means to buy it in the first place.

I know, I know. This is just a little thread about prices going up and sizes going down. And many posters here probably think about this also. But it seemed worth posting about.

Makes me think about the Monty Python song - "Always look on the bright side of life"

ETA- Also reminds me of the old adage "let the buyer beware" and the free enterprise model our economy is built upon.
As a bit of an aside, I took a course back in college named "Business Ethics" and the professor talked a lot during the course about how that name was a contradiction in terms.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 01-16-2019 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-16-2019, 07:15 AM

30,958 posts, read 31,890,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Latest victim of the Amazing Grocery Store Shrink-Ray that I have noticed, a 1/2 gal. of juice is now 52 ounces (Florida's Natural). I don't usually buy juice but a house guest wanted some. Didn't notice til we got home.
Tropicana and all major brands of orange juice have shrunk the size of their cartons. I notice the smaller size when I buy chocolate almond milk (which is still a half gallon carton) vs. the smaller orange juice carton or even plastic bottle.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:21 AM

3,706 posts, read 6,949,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Breyer's doesn't make ice cream any more, not even in those undersized cartons, it's frozen dairy dessert. There should be violent outrage.
There are a few flavors of Breyers that are still real ice cream. Vanilla and chocolate, IIRC.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:11 PM

350 posts, read 90,960 times
Strangely, as food sizes at the grocery stores have shrunk, soda sizes at restaurants have grown exponentially. I remember when today's "small" size soda was a "large" size soda back in the 1980s.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:18 PM

13,371 posts, read 9,474,259 times
Isn't it wonderful to be held hostage by inflation and marketing?

Old 01-19-2019, 07:37 PM

18,647 posts, read 17,803,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
Strangely, as food sizes at the grocery stores have shrunk, soda sizes at restaurants have grown exponentially. I remember when today's "small" size soda was a "large" size soda back in the 1980s.
That is very true. I used to be able to get a SMALL coffee. That was decades ago though, back in the 1980s, I think. Now a SMALL is huge and it costs more. I go without because I don't want to pay all that money and then get something I don't even want.

And what looked funny in the grocery store the other day was the end cap display of boxes of Wheat Thins. Looked like little sample sized boxes. I've mentioned this before. It's a fraction of the size of a formerly normal box of Wheat Thins.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:37 PM

10,141 posts, read 14,525,519 times
Accountant who worked for Manzanilla Marinated Olives figured, if they put 2 olives less in a jar, they will save quarter million a year.
What do you exactly expect?

Old 01-20-2019, 05:04 AM

30 posts, read 5,089 times
One problem I have is with old recipes that call for a can of this or a box of that instead of measured amounts. Who knows what size the can or box was wen the recipe was written

Old 01-20-2019, 05:20 AM

526 posts, read 187,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That is very true. I used to be able to get a SMALL coffee. That was decades ago though, back in the 1980s, I think. Now a SMALL is huge and it costs more. I go without because I don't want to pay all that money and then get something I don't even want.

And what looked funny in the grocery store the other day was the end cap display of boxes of Wheat Thins. Looked like little sample sized boxes. I've mentioned this before. It's a fraction of the size of a formerly normal box of Wheat Thins.
When in the US last year, we went to a lot of trouble to try to get a small coffee. Almost all coffee sold in Australia in restaurants etc is a variety of espresso and I always get a small size eg of cappuccino here. So we discovered the US small was enormous and far too milky for our taste. But the servers would get so confused when we would tell them to just make half a cup that we eventually gave up and drank tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink