Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:52 AM

3,030 posts, read 1,936,530 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems to be missing the point that I'm not asking how to regularly season a pan, but what to do to a pan left in storage for 3-yrs before using it again... I asked as I've already stated I've found conflicting info & rusting issues & oh, I'm exhausted... no worries, I'll figure it out, lol. I'll do something & if that doesn't work, I'll do something else. Thanks, all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I use old herbs on antbeds, around bushes etc.
I live in a FL apt complex where we have landscaping, so it's in my lease to not tamper with the grounds... although I'm as adept with gardening as I am fixing a car. Besides, those giant iguana lizards, which are aplenty on the property are enough to keep me from wandering into the grassy areas with food! Yikes... I've seen them at least 6-ft long, climbing trees outside my window. First time I saw one that large, I thought it was an alligator.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:20 AM

18,830 posts, read 14,016,461 times
Seasoning a cast iron pan involves heating the pan till the seasoning solidifies into a coating. There's nothing to go rancid.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
I just run it under hot water several times, wiping it with a fresh paper towel each time until it's fully clean and dry.

Sometimes I do use a brush (thick brown bamboo bristles much like those from a corn broom) from an Asian restaurant supply house. Don't get the nylon bristles just in case you have to rub it across a hot pan.

I can tell when it's clean when I wipe the fresh hot water off it and the paper towel is spotless.

I then briskly rub the final coat of peanut oil on it and dry it on a real low flame.

If you're not going to use it for a while, briskly rub the oil until it is almost dry.

Leaving it too slick for extended times could make it rancid.
I like those cleaning brushes & have a nice bristled one, too. I once bought a cheaper version on Amazon for $6 & wish I had video of it melting like the Wicked Witch of the West the moment it hit the hot pan.

I never tried peanut oil, but over the years have tried everything, like most I guess. Lard works wonders, if you can tolerate that rancid smell... I can't, especially as a non-pork consumer. I find fractionated coconut oil works best, but it is pricey, so I save it for face moisturizing purposes.

Since I'm stuck with 4 GIANT containers of olive oil, I'll just use that to finish it up... problem is it's not the best oil for seasoning, in my personal experience, but it'll do. I also don't have the best pans... Lodge are probably bottom of the line, I'm guessing, but I've long gotten used to dealing with scraping bits of food from the pan, seasoning far too often, etc., as my lifelong anemia disappeared once I began using the pans, so I can't complain. Someday, I'll upgrade. And, since they're the only pans I own, I've become accustomed to the bit of extra work they require.

I did see 1 YTube vid on always letting the seasoning oil heat to smoking, because it ensures the oil won't turn rancid in the pan. Not an issue with me as I use my pans daily, but it's good to know for those occasional users.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Seasoning a cast iron pan involves heating the pan till the seasoning solidifies into a coating. There's nothing to go rancid.
Right. You didn't read my initial post...

Old 05-06-2017, 11:09 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,067,741 times
I have so many CI pans I rotate them into and out of use, mostly just to keep up with making sure they're not being compromised by storage. I inherited my grandmother's and mother's cast iron and can't resist rescuing old iron pans I find at yard sales. Wife says it's an obsession. I guess it is.

The "no soap, not now not ever" folks are a bit extreme IMO. I have 100 year old pans that I'm not afraid to use a bit of soap on. To your original question. Yes, the Crisco can be assumed to be rancid, or MORE rancid than it was when you first put it on. ;-)
Wash it off the pans with a little Dawn detergent, warm water and a nylon bristled brush or better yet one of the chain-mail scrubbers. They are worth their weight in cast iron, believe me. You won't hurt the patina. As soon as you rinse them well, put them onto a hot burner or into the oven and get them hot to drive all the water away from the surface. Re-oil them while warm and you should be good to go.

As an aside, the best oil to use to actually RE-season a pan is flax oil. Flax oil is what is referred to as a "drying oil", meaning it forms a skin on the surface of the metal. I rescue abused pans by running them through a 5 hour oven cleaning cycle in my range, which burns everything off down to the bare metal. After the pan is cleaned of the ash residue it gets six coats of flax oil with a half hour oven session at 400 degrees between each coat. They come out good as new.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
The "no soap, not now not ever" folks are a bit extreme IMO. I have 100 year old pans that I'm not afraid to use a bit of soap on. To your original question. Yes, the Crisco can be assumed to be rancid, or MORE rancid than it was when you first put it on.
Great post, thank you. Your collection of CI sounds amazing. I inherited 1 pan & unbelievably it cracked in half after a tumble to the floor. Too bad as it was 70-yrs old at that time & smooth as skin.

I've never used soap in any of the pans, because you get screamed at but, I regularly have to boil a bit of water for a few seconds in my pans to remove the blacked bits from the bottom & scrub with a bristle brush. At this point, all my pans need a real good seasoning, but as they're bottom of the line pans (Lodge), I find no method really works for making the pans non-stick. That's another issue, but in any event, I've learned how to deal with them as I use them daily... I'm guessing it's a combination of my desire to blacken most foods I eat, inferior pans & perhaps not the right seasoning oil.

Quote:
As an aside, the best oil to use to actually RE-season a pan is flax oil. Flax oil is what is referred to as a "drying oil", meaning it forms a skin on the surface of the metal. I rescue abused pans by running them through a 5 hour oven cleaning cycle in my range, which burns everything off down to the bare metal. After the pan is cleaned of the ash residue it gets six coats of flax oil with a half hour oven session at 400 degrees between each coat. They come out good as new.
Okay, I will try the flax seed oil & your method of seasoning. Thank you very much!

Old 04-03-2018, 03:14 PM

898 posts, read 591,642 times
I dunno, I just cleaned my antique 12" BSR skillet with Dawn and a BLUE Scotchbrite scrubber sponge. Doesn't harm the seasoning at all. Wipe it dry, put in on the burner to really dry it, add a little canola and wipe it all out. Let it cool and put it away. But I use it all the time, so "away" is just leave it on the stove. So much cast iron that we are going to need a rigging company to move it when we move. A couple of the chitty Lodge with the pebble finish, but mostly antique Griswold, Wagner, BSR that are SMOOTH.... Actually bought an old Lodge dutch oven a few months ago that is smooth. Identified it because although it has no markings, it's 100% identical to a modern Lodge dutch oven that I have.

Buy the old stuff. At antique stores and flea markets you can find plenty of Gris and Wagner, but you pay. Keep your eyes open at Goodwill, Savers, tag sales/garage/estate sales. The antique Lodge dutch oven I paid $20 for at Goodwill because I was there on the right day and got 50% off. We are flush with #8 and #3's and when I see one they go in the cart. Must have 5 each in those sizes. Find a #2, BUY IT..... hard to find....look them up on Ebay..... I have one....and it's not for sale....

As for stripping an old carbon covered item, best way is an E-tank..... just google it, but you need a regular battery charger, a plastic tub, and washing soda and water..... I think I have around 10 items to strip and reseason.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:23 PM

Jim... Thanks for the response. That thread was from 2017, so unfortunately, all my cast iron was ruined after 2-3 yrs' storage or had to be given away when relocating last month.

I'm not investing in it again. It's too cumbersome. Now... it's stainless steel, especially since I may be moving again mid-Dec. Such is my transient life, of late.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:39 PM

898 posts, read 591,642 times
You almost can't ruin cast iron...... I'm 55 and most of mine is at least 30 years older than that..... E tank it, re-season it. Too bad that you got rid of yours. I couldn't tell you how much we have.... at least 3 dutch ovens, 2 12's skillets, 4-5 #8's, 6's, 5's, a #7 I think, Bunch of 3's, the rare #2, couple of waffle irons, muffin pans, cornbread pans in the shape of corn, muffin pans in the shape of fruit (I think 3 of those). We see it and we buy it. Between us we have 4 kids.... plan to pass it on as they move into their own places. One just closed on a house last week. He'll get the newer Lodge dutch oven and I keep the antique one......LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink