Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use a salad spinner?
Yes, can't imagine life without it 28 52.83%
No, don't need one / don't need one / got rid of it 25 47.17%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 10:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I love my OXO salad spinner. But an old, clean pillowcase also works in a pinch. You put the wet lettuce leaves into the pillowcase, then whirl it around in circles so the pillowcase absorbs the water. This works on the same principle as the salad spinner - centrifugal force - but you don't need a special gadget or the shelf space to store it. The only downside is that if you eat salads every day, you could go through a lot of pillowcases! And it's a good idea to take the pillowcase outdoors to spin it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I think I'll stick with my salad spinner. Eating salad that just came out of an old pillowcase just does not sound appetizing to me.
Haha! This reminds me of what we used to call garbage bag salad. It was a "thing" -- briefly -- in the 1990s. When you have a big salad that you want to *very lightly coat* with salad dressing on every piece, you dump the whole salad in a trash bag, pour in a bit of salad dressing, and shake the heck out of the bag. Every little bit of salad got a light coating of dressing. Then the "thing" stopped being a "thing." It stopped sooner if you called it "garbage bag salad" because, really, that sounds disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 10:37 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I use my salad spinner for drying skeins of yarn after they've been washed. That may not be as useful in your household, but if you make yarn and wash it afterwards to set the twist, a salad spinner is a wonderful thing. The yarn doesn't have any chemicals in it since it's fiber from our angora bunnies so it can still be washed and used as a salad spinner, too. Although, I must admit, it gets used more for yarn than for lettuce. But, the garden is planted and the lettuce has sprouted so soon it can do dual duty again.
I bought my salad spinner to dry freshly washed wool and to dry freshly washed handspun. Lettuce was just an afterthought.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Haha! This reminds me of what we used to call garbage bag salad. It was a "thing" -- briefly -- in the 1990s. When you have a big salad that you want to *very lightly coat* with salad dressing on every piece, you dump the whole salad in a trash bag, pour in a bit of salad dressing, and shake the heck out of the bag. Every little bit of salad got a light coating of dressing. Then the "thing" stopped being a "thing." It stopped sooner if you called it "garbage bag salad" because, really, that sounds disgusting.
McDonald's sold shaker salads briefly during some fad diet craze in the early 200s. It was just their salads, put in a tall cleat plastic cup with a domed lid, and you'd put in dressing and toppings and shake it up to coat. Same principle. It was marketed as easily portable because of the cup container. Didn't go over well after the initial introduction, though.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
McDonald's sold shaker salads briefly during some fad diet craze in the early 200s. It was just their salads, put in a tall cleat plastic cup with a domed lid, and you'd put in dressing and toppings and shake it up to coat. Same principle. It was marketed as easily portable because of the cup container. Didn't go over well after the initial introduction, though.
That sounds familiar! They should have put the salad in a (small) garbage bag like they were supposed to.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:00 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
I have one and I like the results when I use it but I don't like having something else to clean. I therefore usually only use it when I have company and am making a salad. Lazy I know.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Maybe it's just us, but we always eat the whole thing when we make salad. There's never leftover left to store in the appliance in the fridge.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's just us, but we always eat the whole thing when we make salad. There's never leftover left to store in the appliance in the fridge.
Same, same.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:48 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
I remember those. I liked the concept, but didn't think they were a good value for the price.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:17 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
How do people wash lettuce and spinach without one? We got a cheap one as a wedding present. I mean that really is a lame wedding present. But we laugh all the time about how we used it for 25 years, just replacing it recently, so it was probably our best wedding present.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:15 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Since for some mad reason we just bought a tub of lettuce plants at the garden center, I'm using my ancient spinner more than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink