Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 01:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times

Advertisements

Pollock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 03:44 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
we sell a ton of haddock that's frozen,,,i like frozen haddock fillets..

fresh is available here but too expensive for my blood..and most all so called fresh fish has been frozen anyways...

ive got to believe some of these chains near you has some frozen haddock

Old 05-14-2017, 03:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
checking with my wholesale fish supplier in Denver, they list haddock, wild caught Atlantic, as available and in stock. (of course, this is at a regional wholesaler that sells to the restaurant and retailer trade, not direct to the public).

I know that they are a wholesale fish supplier to Albertson's/Safeway.

Try asking the fish department manager at your local store if they will "special order" haddock for you as an addition to their regular stocking order. Likely they don't have it in the case anymore because it was a slow mover for them but they can get it quite easily. It should be no big deal for them to accommodate your request.

Otherwise, try the independent fish markets in the area or the fish departments at the Asian markets in the area. The indie's buy from the Denver wholesalers, too, so they can also special order Haddock for you if they don't already stock it.

In general, MOST of the common fish species are available ... at a price. When a particular species reaches a certain price, most supermarkets realize that they cannot sell the fish at the prices that they need to make their profit and do not carry it.

If you special order it, MOST supermarkets can get ahold of what you need. However, you ARE going to pay for it in a major way. When I needed Louisiana crawfish tails peeled, the prices on a special order was about $24/#. I switched to a different product.

I would agree that Asian markets like Super H mart, TnT, Mitsuwa, Seafood City, and the like are generally great sources of fish and seafood products. However, if you are really concerned about "source of origin." you might find them unacceptable.

As for pollock, there is a grey vein that runs through the meat that is unattractive and that is generally why it is significantly cheaper.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:19 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I can use pollock in my fish chowder. It's economical and in chowder appearance is not of as much concern.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:56 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I wish MY haddock was gone. I keep taking aspirin, but it doesn't help.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:04 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Cod or flounder are mild, white, flaky fish....try them!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:54 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I generally don't like fish and seafood, with 2 exceptions -- shrimp and haddock filet.

Well, at least in Colorado Springs, you can't buy haddock filets anymore. Not at the Krogers store. Not at Albertsons/Safeway. Not at Wal_mart (which had been the last store selling it).

What I liked about haddock was that it was dry and mild tasting.

So what fish that is still available is closest to haddock? I do eat tilapia, although I'm not thrilled with it.
Cod is like a less bony haddock. Pollock is closely related to both fish and is the usual fish used in ready-made fish fillets and fish sticks; it's mild, white fish like both cod and haddock. You might give it a try.

Other close analogues are whitefish and walleye. Shad might be perfect -- it's delicious, as bony as any haddock, white and mild -- but just try finding it in a store!

I'm really surprised to hear haddock is going off the market. Is that species getting overfished too!?

Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 PM

761 posts, read 604,562 times
Haddock

Recently, the ICUN Red List reclassified haddock as merely "vulnerable," albeit still endangered. It's because of this that the Greenpeace International Seafood Red List has listed haddock as one of the 20 species of fish to avoid at all costs. It also notes that while haddock is no longer overfished in U.S. waters, Scottish haddock fisheries should be closed to prevent the same thing from happening across the pond.

10 Fish You're Eating That Are Endangered Species | Houston Press

Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
When will they ever learn!?

Old 05-17-2017, 12:55 PM

761 posts, read 604,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
When will they ever learn!?

perfectly stated Cliffie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink