Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times

Advertisements

I keep "Better than Buillon" around in chicken and beef varieties because it is easy to mix up a little when you don't need a quart of broth to add to a sauce...and it tastes better than buillon cubes, mixes much easier and is much less salty. They also have a vegetable flavor and maybe one more.

I just looked it up - the fourth flavor is roasted garlic, may have to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 03:01 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I keep "Better than Buillon" around in chicken and beef varieties because it is easy to mix up a little when you don't need a quart of broth to add to a sauce...and it tastes better than buillon cubes, mixes much easier and is much less salty. They also have a vegetable flavor and maybe one more.

I just looked it up - the fourth flavor is roasted garlic, may have to give it a try.
I love that stuff! I like to add a teaspoon or two of the low sodium chicken version to stock to make it extra chicken-y

Old 05-16-2017, 06:20 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I may be mixed up on this but I use boullion in place of broth and vice versa. Are they meant to be interchanged like that? Are they basically the same thing? Instead of using 5 cups of broth in chicken noodle soup I used 5 cups of water and 5 chicken boullion cubes. It seems to taste o.k.
Other threads that could be of use:

Canned Broth vs Bouillon Cubes

can someone explain broth to me

What's the difference between broth and stock?

Broth vs consume

Bone Broth thread!

One of these was a previous thread of yours, nickerman, and all are found via using the Advanced Search tool.

Bon Appetit!

Old 05-16-2017, 07:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I may be mixed up on this but I use boullion in place of broth and vice versa. Are they meant to be interchanged like that? Are they basically the same thing? Instead of using 5 cups of broth in chicken noodle soup I used 5 cups of water and 5 chicken boullion cubes. It seems to taste o.k.
basically they are the same. For some reason when I think boullion I think cubes, when I think broth I think made from scratch and frozen or out of a can. Yes,, they can be interchanged. To be honest, I make my own broth from the meat, bones, etc and rarely use boullion but that is just me: for someone who does not do a lot of cooking the cubes or the canned is acceptable.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
When I make a stock which is mostly chicken I like to roast the bones first, even if it's from an already baked chicken.
Then I'll simmer that with onions and thyme, celery and carrots, for hours. it usually comes out a bit darker..

For broth, I'll just throw a chicken into a pot with an onion and some celery and boil for about an hour and a half..

Bullion I use as more of a flavor enhancer, to give a boost to something lacking.. something..
Bullion is very salty and I will sometimes drink it alone if I have a cold or the occasional Flu.. It's just something passed down from Grandma, I have no idea why. It's just comforting..

Old 05-16-2017, 07:54 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Theres no double LL in broth.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
They can be used interchangeably. But broth you make yourself is probably much better for you than those little cubes that add a metric ton of salt! But I do it too. Broth takes forever and those little cubes are just sitting there waiting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink