Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:23 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I laughed so hard and for so long after watching that, I had serious diaphragm cramps. Help! Help! I can't breathe!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:41 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I had a bachelor neighbor farmer.
Very frugal and quite well off financially.

Slim man in his early 60's who liked to lecture people about being very careful what they ate. He was even more adamant that nearly all drink ( coffee, tea, soda ) was very harmful.

A few years back he was not feeling well and his nephews urged him to get checked out as he was having stomach pains.

Diagnosis was terminal pancreatic cancer.

He returned home, went on hospice, and died a very humble man 4 weeks later.
Pancreatic cancer will usually kill you sooner than later. My mom's neighbor lived for ten years, but it wasn't pretty. My friend had a tumor and half of her pancreas removed. She feels pretty good and travels regionally, but wears Depends while on the road. Her digestive tract isn't what it used to be.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It's very rude. I'd just smile and say "You go your way and I'll go mine," as I was backing away, then look incredulous if the conversation continues.
Love this but my incredulous look may need sharpening up.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:09 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Love this but my incredulous look may need sharpening up.
The problem with practicing in front of the mirror is you will crack yourself up.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:53 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In another instance, I have a friend who is diabetic. If she sees that I ate two carbs at the same meal, say, corn and potatoes, she will lecture me. "You're eating TWO carbs! That's not good for you."

No, it's not good for YOU, because you're a friggin' diabetic, but I am not. And how do you explain that, half an hour after you eat your one-carb meal, you're in that bag of pretzels, hmmm?
You get that a lot with the people who are on fad diets. Acting like wheat is poison, or dairy is toxic. If they feel great cutting that stuff out, more power to them, but I feel just fine with pizza in my life.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:44 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
This kind of kvetching at people goes on in about EVERY area of food from my experience. From fast food, to diet, to additives, to shape shaming, to criticism of recipes - name a topic food related and someone will just have to chime in with some type of criticism. It really bugs me and I've had enough outbursts here when people "start" to last everyone a lifetime, so I'm not doing it ANY more! Missy gonna shut her trap!

Old 05-17-2017, 02:27 PM

467 posts, read 352,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Why do people think its okay to complain about what others choose to eat (or not to eat)?
Because they don't get answered logically, like, frinstance, "MYOFB," or "How could you be so stupid? Slightly over half the world eats that way, and what you predict isn't happening," or "That makes no sense at all. No one who has even a rudimentary knowledge of chemistry would ever believe that," or, "Do you actually have any evidence to support that claim?"

Not all of the strange dietary claims are provably wrong, although few of them are provably right, at least as a generalization. The average intelligent, open-minded sociable individual is not inclined towards dogmatic statements on nutrition and diet (fortunately, this select group does not include me). Those individuals, and even I, are disinclined to tell people that they are making stupid statements, even when they are. Over time, this has the effect of encouraging stupid and anti-social statements by not discouraging them.

I think that the above is correct, and I hope that it answers your question.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:04 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You get that a lot with the people who are on fad diets. Acting like wheat is poison, or dairy is toxic. If they feel great cutting that stuff out, more power to them, but I feel just fine with pizza in my life.
Life without pizza would not be worth living.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:54 PM

467 posts, read 352,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Life without pizza would not be worth living.
Even orthodox Jews know that. You know how Jews are about Chinese? Well, that's orthodox Jews and pizza (needless to say, hold the pepperoni).

Old 05-17-2017, 04:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
This seems to be the one social area where no one thinks pointing out someone's choices as "bad" is taboo.

I had a vegan lecture me about cheese.

Drink coffee? A neighbor spent 20 minutes haranguing me for using Equal.

In my office, we had to make sure that one microwave was nowhere near the gluten free lunch of one of my colleagues (who then proceeded to lecture everyone on how gluten rich diets lead to dementia...)

And I don't eat beef or pork which certain people can and will not accept, so I often get a lecture on why its TERRIBLE not to eat beef or pork like a regular person.

I never comment on what anyone else eats, unless its my boyfriend stealing the last piece of sushi.

Why do people think its okay to complain about what others choose to eat (or not to eat)?

They feel its Okay because you give them permission and they take it.

My calm response shuts them up "the role of God in my life is currently filled at this time."

Their conflict is really with God, not food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink