Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:11 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
You see a subtle (and at times overt) version of this on internet threads about food and cooking. Invariably, people feel compelled to tell everyone that they "eat clean" or they cook everything from scratch, or they don't use processed foods of any type. Rarely do these folks grow all their own food and hunt animals for meat. And even if they did, they could be humble about it rather than using these comments to boost their own egos.

It is a LOT WORSE than that.

If I post a thread about the new burger at McDonald's tomorrow asking people who have tried the hamburger their thoughts, I will have at least 15 of the first 40 posts talking about 1) how bad McDonald's food is for you, 2) how they have not eaten at McDonalds since 1964, 3) how hamburgers will kill you and at least five other
completely irrelevant and off-topic statements.

I believe that adults are autonomous beings and are completely capable of making their own food choices whether or not others thin that they are prudent.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Ah, a perfect example of what I said: Vegans and vegetarians are mocked and joked about, and it's still acceptable to do so.

Thanks for proving my point!

Old 05-17-2017, 10:42 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
Agreed! The ego gets in the way of their influence. We all know lecturing isn't the best way to motivate others to change their behavior.
And I would take this a step further, and question why someone feels they are in a position to suggest others need to 'change their behavior' in the first place? Live and let live.

I wish people would step back and stop trying to control the behavior of others, as if they need to correct people.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:11 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Ah, a perfect example of what I said: Vegans and vegetarians are mocked and joked about, and it's still acceptable to do so.

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
- Robert Frost

Old 05-18-2017, 01:06 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
They feel its Okay because you give them permission and they take it.

My calm response shuts them up "the role of God in my life is currently filled at this time."

Their conflict is really with God, not food.
I like that one.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am puzzled about this all the time. I have been eating chopped raw vegetables for lunch everyday for over four years. At least three times a week someone has to say something about it. "How do you eat the same thing everyday?", "omg, you eat so healthy", "is that all you are going to eat?".

My point is---even when one eats healthy, they bug you!
Yes, I eat small meals and people always ask that too. Is that all you are having? Obviously, yes. This is all I ordered, isn't it?

Old 05-18-2017, 01:10 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
You see a subtle (and at times overt) version of this on internet threads about food and cooking. Invariably, people feel compelled to tell everyone that they "eat clean" or they cook everything from scratch, or they don't use processed foods of any type. Rarely do these folks grow all their own food and hunt animals for meat. And even if they did, they could be humble about it rather than using these comments to boost their own egos.

good points!

also, if there is a religious bias on certain foods,,,, often, that isn't offered, the person will keep bashing the food as terrible . but not say they cant consume it in the first place...... for example bacon or pork, if you cant eat it for religious reasons, that's fine.. but please don't constantly find 100 different reasons for not eating it ,,,if you never could in the first place,, " I wont eat pork, it is terrible and filthy meat" "bacon is the most disgusting food on the planet"

Old 05-18-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

It's not mocking Vegans or Vegetarians. It's mocking the ones that push it on others and shame them for eating meat.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It's not mocking Vegans or Vegetarians. It's mocking the ones that push it on others and shame them for eating meat.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:20 AM

I went around and around with a Vegan about whether growing up our eggs were truly cruelty free. She kept trying to tell me all the terrible things even people like my father raising them did I was like really? You were there? We didn't do a one of those things - but I had to counter each one specifically because she is brainwashed from her own propaganda.

I agreed from the start that all factory farms suck. But we were not even a farm. It's exhausting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink