Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 02:29 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
An offshoot of something I was reading elsewhere made me wonder if adults are ordering kids meals?

There are times that I would, if I'm not that hungry or if nothing else is really appealing. But they are usually limited to age 12 and under, and in some restaurants, they even say 10 and under. A couple of places we go have them labeled for kids and seniors, so that's another option, but I still don't fit either category.

Just curious whether there are other adults who are ordering kids meals at restaurants, or at least might if they were given the option.

Ironically, McDonalds is one place where I know there is no age limit, and on the rare times I go there, I mostly do order a kids meal. It's enough food, you get a very small portion of fries but not an obscenely large portion, plus apple slices. I save the toy to bring home to my kid or if we are together, then he gets two toys.
People eat at McDonalds, they don't dine....its not exactly a restaurant.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:47 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
An offshoot of something I was reading elsewhere made me wonder if adults are ordering kids meals?

There are times that I would, if I'm not that hungry or if nothing else is really appealing. But they are usually limited to age 12 and under, and in some restaurants, they even say 10 and under. A couple of places we go have them labeled for kids and seniors, so that's another option, but I still don't fit either category.

Just curious whether there are other adults who are ordering kids meals at restaurants, or at least might if they were given the option.

Ironically, McDonalds is one place where I know there is no age limit, and on the rare times I go there, I mostly do order a kids meal. It's enough food, you get a very small portion of fries but not an obscenely large portion, plus apple slices. I save the toy to bring home to my kid or if we are together, then he gets two toys.

No! Ewww! Children's menus have notoriously greasy and unhealthy food.

Nothing on them ever appeals to me, and it never occurred to me to order from one.

If we want smaller portions we share, or get a variety of appetizers or "small plates" which are popular now.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:51 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
No, I would never order a child's meal even if it wasn't expressly prohibited. I think it's rude, especially to the server. If I'm not that hungry I'll order an appetizer and a salad or divide my regular meal and take half home to eat the next day. I'm always happy to have restaurant leftovers in my fridge. If someone is so in need of saving money that they would eat chicken fingers or a grilled cheese sandwich, they probably should have dined at home.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:01 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Good grief! No one is a piece of garbage. Many people don't want a huge meal that they can't eat in one sitting. Get your manager involved and make sure to tell them that you think the people paying your tips are garbage!
I'm not defending the use of the word "garbage," but I do think you kind of missed the point. If you order a child's meal and tip on your total bill, you aren't leaving a normal tip for the server. And s/he did every bit as much work as would have been done had you ordered the adult meal. Not all restaurants have huge portions. If you always have a small appetite perhaps you should make a point to know where they are. Or at the very least, tip extra if you are ordering a child's meal when you are an adult.

(Just for the record, I also advocate tipping double if you spend an inordinate amount of time at a table, prohibiting the server from getting an additional customer.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink