Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just read an article in our local paper this morning about how many chain restaurants are seeing a decrease in business. Some are thinking of selling out. Many were mentioned but the ones I remember were: Rudy Tues. Olive Garden and Applebees. Have you noticed less business at your favorite chain eatery and do you still patronize the large chains, or are you more inclined to try smaller, independent places? We have found ourselves, though we eat our rarely more inclined to eat at independent restaurant or ones that locally have a few stores, but are not large chains.
We have several local diners we go to often but that is being cut down the stronger I get since I am cooking more and I am gaining strength and mobility. Really the only chain place I personally go to is
Jimmy Johns for a JJ Gargantuan cut in half and that is at least 2 meals for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
Personally, I think Whataburger is going to take over the world. Every time one of them around here expands, in a couple of weeks you can't even get in the door at lunch. And OH!, those Burgers! -- Almost the same with Dairy Queen (Steak Finger Basket.....mmmmmmmmmm).
I really wish Whataburger would expand into the Atlanta area. Birmingham has them, not sure why we can't. It beats any of the national burger chains easily.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I think the Capital Grille is doing fine.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:45 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I used to eat at Applebee's but I think it's been about ten years now. Have never eaten at the other places because I'd rather eat at a locally owned place than some chain.

If I wanted Italian food, I'd just go to a real Italian place, not Olive Garden. We're lucky here in that we still have a lot of locally owned places with owners who still take pride in their food. Also, they cater to local tastes. I sort of hope that more chains go out of business.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
The only chains we patronize are fast food. Do we have concerns? Absolutely! More and more of them are expanding their menus and getting very far afield of their roots, and what made them popular to begin with.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:44 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
We went to a chain restaurant Saturday. On the table was a card announcing $10 for a full slab of ribs. It's about half price. We had a coupon, earned through their rewards program, for a free entree, but it didn't cover ribs or steak. We had the ribs, We'll use the coupon later. I had the leftover ribs for Sunday dinner.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:48 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I really wish Whataburger would expand into the Atlanta area. Birmingham has them, not sure why we can't. It beats any of the national burger chains easily.
The problem with the regional chains when they go "national" is that they seldom duplicate what has made them so successful in their original locations.

The Whataburgers in Texas - nearly any town in Texas - serve a really fantastic hamburger. However, the ones that I have been to in Arizona have been very disappointing. The hamburgers are just slopped together and they are best OK.

Ditto on Culver's. They are great in Wisconsin but the one I have been to in Tucson was a major disappointment. The hamburger was over cookee, the green beans were way over sauced and the staff was not familiar with the menu items.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:27 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
best chain rest., for my family is Wendys, salads and chilli is a way better option than that typical burger. For Burgers, I go to White Castles, or make em at home.

As for everything else, Our kids like Joes Crab Shack, because of the special atmosphere , but they sure charge alot.

We prefer the BBQ restaurants, or Pubs, small chains or independent. We prefer working class restaurants, located in the right neighborhoods. Brazilian or Colombian for meat, Peruvian for Chicken, Chinese for take out or pastries, Fa Day is a popular one in NYC.

But there is the "Colombia" resturaunt chain in Florida, Spanish Food. Great Paella and tapas!

As for pizza, only by Italians, Thin crust and hot.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
One of my favorite Cuban places here in South Florida is a home grown chain, Havana 1957. Also, Pollo Tropicale, another local chain, only sells free range, organic chicken that is amazing.

Can anyone argue with how good Chick-Fil-A is?

Some chains like Outback Steakhouse have gone noticeably downhill in the last ten years or so and some fantastic chains like Steak & Ale have disappeared completely.

When corporate restaurants start squeezing for profits because they are publicly held is when they go down quickly and patrons stop eating there.

I have not eaten at Olive Garden in years but enjoy Ruby Tuesdays salad bar every once in a while.

Many times I will go for a chain over an independent because I know chains have minimum standards they are held to that some independents are not. While they all are inspected by the health department, sometimes chains are held to much higher standards by corporate.

It's really six of one, half dozen of another.
the one thing I would have to say about chains and you hit on it: the consistency. Oh sure, there is some difference, based on management but when traveling we are inclined to stick with chains we know. Otherwise, as I said, we like to do independently owned establishments. well there is an exception to our rule: when we are in a town with an In-N-Out we go nuts. I will never get enough of them for the price. Of course they have hardly spread to other states and have very strict rules on how they prepare their burgers. Their secret I believe has been keeping their menu simple. I think the more the menus expand the quality is affected.

Last edited by nmnita; 05-22-2017 at 05:35 AM..

Old 05-22-2017, 06:29 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
The only chains I have any loyalty for are In-n-Out & Pollo Loco & I don't near either anymore. Everything around me is gross & over priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink