Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

For heating up sauces or pastas you can't beat Microwave. Using a stovetop you will either burn the food or takes too long to heat the food. Heating up stock, soups, anything with high levels of liquid is great. Stuff like meats you have to be careful since the moisture in the meats could get all dried up you better off using direct heat like a toaster oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 01:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I own no cookbooks, I was trained by world class French chefs.
None of them turned their noses up at microwaves, its just another tool.

Do you not have recipes that call for something like butter to be melted?

I would say a lot of cookbooks are written by unskilled pretentious people.
Pretty broad statement about a lot of cookbooks. My current favorite is Modern Cuisine by Young and Myhrvold. Unskilled and pretentious apply to neither.

Good for you! My husband has both, was trained literally by one of THE French chefs, one of Escoffier's students and is classically trained chef.

I've never seen a recipe that calls for using a microwave. Using boiling water doesn't mean microwaving water.

And I did not turn up my nose at a microwave, just don't use them at all.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I use my microwave for storage. Rarely use it to microwave.

I think the recipe is using microwave to cut cooking time and if you are willing to take longer then stovetop should work just fine
I thought I was the only one who used it for storage! I don't use it for permanent storage - but for instance if I make a casserole or soup and we eat part of it and might eat more over the next couple of hours, I will put it in the microwave and anyone who wants more goes to the microwave and gets it. Also will put things in the microwave as I take them off the grill until time to serve them. Same if we get takeout food like fried chicken/mashed potatoes, etc. We put it in the microwave for a couple of hours until we are done with it, then it goes in the refrigerator. I also use the microwave as a "pie cabinet" if I have a pie or cake I don't want to dry out sitting out in the open air.

Other than that, I just use the microwave to reheat food.

As for the OP's question: I don't see why using the stovetop instead of microwave would make any difference. The only recipe I've really used that said to use microwave is a fudge recipe. The microwave really does work well for that, but stovetop fudge is just as good!

Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Pretty broad statement about a lot of cookbooks. My current favorite is Modern Cuisine by Young and Myhrvold. Unskilled and pretentious apply to neither.

Good for you! My husband has both, was trained literally by one of THE French chefs, one of Escoffier's students and is classically trained chef.

I've never seen a recipe that calls for using a microwave. Using boiling water doesn't mean microwaving water.

And I did not turn up my nose at a microwave, just don't use them at all.
Reminds me of a 1950 science fiction short story by Damon Knight that later became a Twilight Zone episode. Aliens landed on Earth. They had a book. Somebody managed to translate the cover of the book as "To Serve Man". Everybody was all excited about all the wonderful things these aliens were going to do for the human race. The last line of the short story is some scientist who manages to translate the contents of the book. The last line of the short story is "It's a cookbook".

http://perrylocal.org/mostova/files/...-Serve-Man.pdf

Old 05-23-2017, 08:40 PM

345 posts, read 250,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
How do you exert control over induction stoves, I tried one and it kept cycling on and off to maintain a certain setting, the full blast and full zero was extremely annoying compared to being able to see the flame on a gas burner, with gas I set it and forget it.
I don't doubt that they all cycle, at least to some extent. How is a constant flame better than an accurately heated pan?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:21 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
I use the microwave for heating plain water 99% of the time. They should build a really small gizmo that just does that.

On a related note, if I were building a house right now (and were allowed to do this, I expect that code precludes the idea) I wouldn't build in an oven. After buying a countertop convection oven, we haven't used a stove in probably 15 years.
Well there's this ... https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...aytRoC563w_wcB

Old 05-23-2017, 10:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I LOVE my microwave but I don't actually cook to much in it. I use it to make popcorn, warm up leftovers and warm water for tea or hot cocoa. The only thing I can think of that I actually cook in it might be a quick hot dog for my kids.
And hot dogs are generally precooked, so you're still just warming them.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There are gizmos that heat plain water, kettles.
They even come in electric models, if, for whatever reason, you don't wanna turn on the stove.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:50 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Its safer and MUCH BETTER using the stove!!!

We have a microwave but I avoid it like a plague!! (It ruins food,its not good for us,etc)
I've been using a microwave for almost 40 years. Several times a day, most days. It has never ruined food unless I overcooked something. And there is nothing unhealthy about it. People read too many conspiracy theories.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:54 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I use my microwave for storage. Rarely use it to microwave.
lol me too, I put thawing meat in the microwave to keep it away from my counter surfing labradoodles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink