Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 01:19 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times

Advertisements

Most packages of cut chicken you buy at the grocery store has "up to 2% solution" or whatever injected into it these days too. They don't tell you what that is.

Is that still chicken? The only way to know is butchering one yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 03:41 PM

30 posts, read 24,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Is boiled ham fake ham?

Do you like canadien bacon? its formed by gluing peices of ham with fillers, formed into long sections, cooked and cut into shorter lengths.

If one thing is fake, so are the rest, its more like sensational reporting to me. Lazy reporting.

Reminds me of the pink gloop they "discovered" through their fearless investigative reports, only to find consumers don't give a hoot.
Actually, consumers did give a hoot> ABC's Lawsuit Is A Reminder That We're Still Eating 'Pink Slime' | HuffPost

" ABC is facing a defamation trial for its exposé of “pink slime” from 2012. The network reported that pink slime (referred to in the industry as “lean, finely textured beef,” or LFTB) was found in up to 70 percent of all ground beef sold at most major grocery stores ― as well as in America’s fast food and school lunches. The story caused the LFTB industry to tank."

Old 05-28-2017, 04:00 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Do you like canadien bacon? its formed by gluing peices of ham with fillers, formed into long sections, cooked and cut into shorter lengths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That is fake Canadian bacon. Real Canadian bacon is simply a rasher of back bacon, a cut from the loin.
You are 100% correct, but the person to whom you were responding was talking about "peices" of "canadien" bacon, and whatever that might refer to, I suspect that it may be very different from pieces of Canadian bacon.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Most packages of cut chicken you buy at the grocery store has "up to 2% solution" or whatever injected into it these days too. They don't tell you what that is.

Is that still chicken? The only way to know is butchering one yourself.
No, that's only the flash frozen type of chicken in the plastic bags. There is uninjected chicken readily available.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:20 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Processed food is...processed. You want to be sure you're getting real food, make it yourself.

Correct. Or, don't b.tch or be surprised about what you find as food. You chose to go to eateries - get what you deserve.
Reminds me of one Louis Farrakhan. He said "Back in time, you lived with your family. Your grandmothers cooked for entire family. They kne what they cooked and you knew what you eat".
But "who gives a hoot" right? If going out became a must in American family and the only question is not what to eat, but where to eat.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:25 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Finally!! I cannot eat Subway because the meat just doesn't even come close to lookin like meat. And their hygiene issues appear questionable in many locations. On many a road trip through a small town (there is ALWAYS a Subway) I have wished I could eat there.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:34 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Finally!! I cannot eat Subway because the meat just doesn't even come close to lookin like meat. And their hygiene issues appear questionable in many locations. On many a road trip through a small town (there is ALWAYS a Subway) I have wished I could eat there.
I know what you mean. Subway is really in the lowest tier of chain sandwich fast food places and they will open in unfashionable places other chains won't go that lack strong consumer demographics.

Personally, it would be near the bottom in my choices of eating place, and I would only go there if I were in really small towns with no better homegrown or chain options. Though I've never had anything that's totally disgusting from there, I've never had anything that's really good, either. It's been consistently in the sub-par but not awful, mediocre range for me.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 2,805 times
Togos is much better imo. In the tier list of sandwich places subway is probably the lowest if not very low. But thats just subways in the US, I've been to subways in other countries and its actually decent to pretty good depending on where you are/type of menu they have.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:01 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
If you're near one, Sheetz actually does quite a nice job at a quick sub. Pretty much my standard go to place when I'm on the road. Prices are roughly the same, maybe a bit higher.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currygirl View Post
Actually, consumers did give a hoot> ABC's Lawsuit Is A Reminder That We're Still Eating 'Pink Slime' | HuffPost

" ABC is facing a defamation trial for its exposé of “pink slime” from 2012. The network reported that pink slime (referred to in the industry as “lean, finely textured beef,” or LFTB) was found in up to 70 percent of all ground beef sold at most major grocery stores ― as well as in America’s fast food and school lunches. The story caused the LFTB industry to tank."

Much like they were sued for their bogus story they created about the Food Lion chain. Another case that they lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink