Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:42 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
... a device that shaves ten seconds off the prep time and
takes ten minutes to clean, is no bargain.
That was VERY funny!

Old 06-07-2017, 07:29 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I just wish someone discover a way to grow much larger garlic cloves. Some of the garlics are full of small cloves.
Try ordering online - look for a garlic variety called 'Music'. Here's one source - Music | BJ Gourmet Garlic Farm

But it's likely that someone near you grows it.

It stores very well without sprouting in a cool dark place.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:36 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Finger tip odor? In kitchen stores they sell a thin small stainless steel square...
like 2"x2". Use it like a bar of soap and water...OR, haha, just use a stainless steel spoon
and water, rubbing your finger tips...try it you'll see.
Of course, no one trusts me now...lol!
I wonder how many people buy those forgetting that they probably have a stainless steel sink?

I just rub my hands on my sink while washing up. No more smell.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:55 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Somethings like garlic and gingers are needed for the cooking almost every day. It's much of a hassle to peel and cut them every time you need them; on the other hand, storing the peeled and cut pieces for days will lose their freshness. What's the best way to deal with the hassles? (Yes I know there are ways to peel garlic easily like shaking them in a big bowl, but I've tried that and it's still not very convenient).
Have you considered widening your culinary horizons? There have to be hundreds of thousands of interesting meals that contain neither garlic nor ginger. It's a new world, you don't need to kill your palete with daily doses of garlic and ginger anymore just because it is traditional.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:58 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Somethings like garlic and gingers are needed for the cooking almost every day.
I buy jars of minced garlic and grated ginger. Try them...you'll never know the difference.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:04 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree. As one cookbook author said, a device that shaves ten seconds off the prep time and takes ten minutes to clean, is no bargain.
My stainless steel garlic press goes in the dishwasher so it takes zero minutes to clean.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:39 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Every summer we used to attend the Gilroy Garlic Festival just to enjoy the smell of all that roasting garlic. You can smell it from miles away on the freeway. Anyway, many of the garlic growers in the area have gone out of business because of the chinese imports so we grow our own. We have some hanging to cure on the patio this morning. To make the bulbs larger when growing your own, be sure to cut off any flowers that start on the stems as it robs the bulb of energy. When ready to use, just give them a good smash on the cutting board and chop a little.

To avoid imported garlic at the market, turn the bulb over. The government requires the root end from imports be chopped down so any bulb with the root hairs still attached is American grown.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I buy jars of minced garlic and grated ginger. Try them...you'll never know the difference.
Agree. I don't know about the ginger, I have never seen minced or grated ginger for sale, but minced garlic is almost ubiquitous. I've been using it for years. Trader Joe's sells whole peeled cloves, but I have never tried them. I peel ginger with a teaspoon (works better than you think) and grate it with a small grater made for that purpose, grates garlic cloves too. The only time I need grated ginger is when I do stir fries, and I have only been doing those for a month or so now. I'm getting to the point where my wife and friends say that what I serve them is better than anything they have eaten at their favorite take-out places. I think they are being sincere!

Old 06-07-2017, 10:09 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Trader Joe's sells whole peeled cloves,....
Thanks for the tip.

I'd prefer whole peeled cloves, especially when making sauces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm getting to the point where my wife and friends say that what I serve them is better than anything they have eaten at their favorite take-out places. I think they are being sincere!
It just takes practice. Once you get your recipes down, there's not much point in going to a Chinese restaurant, unless you're looking for something special.

I make a wicked Oyster Sauce, and my Sweet & Sour and Sesame Sauce is better than what you get in restaurants.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:06 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I use so much garlic that I can mince it in no time whatsoever. I just smash the unpeeled garlic with the flat of the knife, remove the papery cover, and mince away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Dunno, its takes just a few seconds to peel garlic and ginger. I don't see the hassle.
Same here. When peeling and chopping garlic seems that difficult, I make a sandwich or scramble some eggs instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't know about the ginger, but I tried pre-minced garlic in a jar once. Just awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink