U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you like pineapple on pizza?
yes, pineapple is tasty on pizza 123 53.48%
no pineapple on my pie, please 107 46.52%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 03:55 PM

21,155 posts, read 11,761,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
There are lots of pizza topping that I'm not particularly fond of that I don't feel insult the dish the way pineapple does. BBQ chicken, onions, broccoli, e.g., come to mind. Pineapple is, for lack of better phraseology, simple an incompatible taste. There is no interpretation of pizza that calls for a pineapple flavor. Just like there is no interpretation of ice cream that calls for ketchup.
Except of course that 58% of respondents in this poll have said that they like pineapple on pizza. So perhaps you could recognize that your personal preference against it does not mean that it's an "incompatible taste."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 04:21 PM

14,154 posts, read 11,625,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
There are lots of pizza topping that I'm not particularly fond of that I don't feel insult the dish the way pineapple does. BBQ chicken, onions, broccoli, e.g., come to mind. Pineapple is, for lack of better phraseology, simple an incompatible taste. There is no interpretation of pizza that calls for a pineapple flavor. Just like there is no interpretation of ice cream that calls for ketchup.

mmmm. To be frank, that sounds pretty closed minded. I can see just not liking a certain food combination, but just slamming the door on a whole idea seems rather extreme. But, no matter. There's lots of foods I just don't like at all that others go bonkers for. Sushi is one. I had a mental block with pineapple on pizza for a long time, till I tried it, then I was sold.

My Mom used to make baked ham with pineapple when I was a kid, and I still make that myself today. As I think about it, Hawaiian pizza isn't much different. Pork and pineapple just work well together. Sheesh, their coming up with some wild pizzas these days. lol, Used to be pizza meant pepperoni and cheese. Not all the combinations are for everyone (like your personal aversion to pineapple) but different strokes.

I will confess that I don't like syrup on pancakes or waffles. I can stomach it, but I much prefer jam or preserves. Berry in particular, raspberry or boysenberry being my favorites. Some things people do with bannanas make my nose curl. Like milkshakes. I find bannanas to be very limited in practical application. But a lot of folks just dig them in all manner of things. Any more with foods I try to keep an open mind.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:37 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
except of course it's pizza dough, not bread, and it's sauce with some different spicing than a traditional pizza sauce but still sauce, and cheese, usually a blend of mozzarella and gouda. So yeah, not even close to "BBQ chicken on bread" any more than traditional pizza is ketchup on bread.
Bread is a food made of flour, water, and yeast or another leavening agent, mixed together and baked. I fail to see how the crust of a pizza is not bread.

Is "pizza dough" with butter, cinnamon, and sugar on it a pizza? How about raspberry sauce and mascarpone?

Old 06-13-2017, 08:53 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,428,989 times
I've had hard boiled egg on pizza, but that was in Kathmandu.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:58 PM

11,969 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Bread is a food made of flour, water, and yeast or another leavening agent, mixed together and baked. I fail to see how the crust of a pizza is not bread.

Is "pizza dough" with butter, cinnamon, and sugar on it a pizza? How about raspberry sauce and mascarpone?
No, bread with sweet stuff is not a pizza. There are different names for that. Is a round piece of toast with jam on it a pizza? I think not.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No, bread with sweet stuff is not a pizza. There are different names for that. Is a round piece of toast with jam on it a pizza? I think not.
Exactly. Nor does a savory topping a pizza make.

Pizza, I believe, must have a typically Italian sauce on it. Not hollandaise, not tikka masala, not mayonnaise, not brown gravy, and not BBQ.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:27 PM

15,861 posts, read 6,242,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The man who is credited with being the first to put pineapple on a pizza died yesterday. So on that somber occasion, a simple poll: do you like pineapple on pizza or not?
I don't know when he invented PP, or pineapple pizza but I remember having it in New Hamphshire in the shadow of the now-collapsed "Old Man of the Mountains" near Franconia Notch in August 1969.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:42 PM

30,684 posts, read 33,450,741 times
I like ham and pineapple pizza and think the tangy tomato sauce blends well and gives it a sweet and sour vibe but much more low key. I really can't remember it ever NOT being a thing so to hear people talk as if it's alien is really odd to me! But don't even mention bbq chicken on a pizza to me, that's just vile.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:24 PM

9,352 posts, read 6,249,009 times
Nay, double nay, never!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:32 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,891,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I've had hard boiled egg on pizza, but that was in Kathmandu.
Now, I do like sunny-side-up eggs on pizza, so boiled eggs are okay with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or