Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:42 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,298 times

Advertisements

I prefer Fred Meyer/Kroger.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:43 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The world is full of knee jerk Walmart haters who tell each other total untruths about Walmart so that they can feel self-righteously superior because they don't shop there.

Lots of people shop at Walmart. Walmart is not primarily a grocery store, they just have a grocery section.

I buy a few things there but mostly shop at other stores. Walmart sells the same produce that other stores sell and for the same price. Canned goods and packaged goods are often a bit cheaper than else where. Sometime they are a lot cheaper. The brand of canned chili I like is a dollar cheaper per can than it would be if I bought it at the big name grocery store.

Mostly I don't shop at Walmart for two reasons. Their parking lot is overly crowded and I don't like to park there. The way I shop, I can buy the items I want for a better price by shopping elsewhere, if Walmart even carries the items I want, which they often don't.

I do some of my grocery shopping at Costco and some of it at the restaurant supply store, and some at a store that sells bulk items for a decent price (Winco). I buy very few canned goods or prepared foods, so mostly buy produce at Walmart. Oh yeah, Walmart has the best price on the brand of ice cream that I like.

The farmer's market in my area is mostly selling the exact same produce as I can buy in the store. They buy it at the same wholesale produce depot. That is true of farmer's markets all over the country. There will be some fresh locally grown produce, but not the majority of it. In my area, there is literally no locally grown produce at the farmer's market. Our growing season is very short and the farmers market is open for several months. If they sold local produce, it might be open for 3 weeks. So, out of the area vendors rent the tables and the farmer's market won't hold a table for local growers who only want the table for 2 weeks.
Not the same produce. It's not as good quality and doesn't stay fresh as long after you buy it. Many other people I know have had the same experience.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:50 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The world is full of knee jerk Walmart haters who tell each other total untruths about Walmart so that they can feel self-righteously superior because they don't shop there.

Lots of people shop at Walmart. Walmart is not primarily a grocery store, they just have a grocery section.
Exactly.

My local Walmart Super Center would be the FIRST place I'd try for ANYTHING if I had only ONE shot at finding it. Like when we're expecting a hurricane.

The food store is perfectly fine, albeit not as large as the regular retail side.

And I'm picky. But I know what I'm getting and not trying to make a Ford turn into a BMW.

They recently opened a Walmart Grocery only near me but I haven't been there.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:07 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I like to support the local smaller stores when I can. Something about supporting the smaller guys.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:14 AM

359 posts, read 320,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I live in Southern California and we have everything from Whole Foods and other "organic" markets, to farmer's markets, to grocery chains like Trader Joe's and Kroger, to Target and Walmart.
When did Kroger come to Southern California?

Old 06-15-2017, 11:34 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Speaking of the competition...Kroger's, Albertson's and other national chains have come to Texas. Our local statewide chain H.E.B. has run them all out of town. Wal-Mart remains only because they handle more than food in most of their stores. They also have enough clothing and appliance customers who will buy their groceries there since they're there for other reasons.

Wal-Mart would likely continue with their food marketing even if they only broke even. I think that's their scorched earth policy.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
When did Kroger come to Southern California?
Well...it's really Ralphs, but Ralphs is a subsidiary of Kroger and all Krogers seem to carry many of the same products. It's easier to call it Kroger on a forum like this, since more people have heard of it, but you're right that it is technically not called Kroger in SoCal.

I had never heard of Harris Teeter, which has been mentioned in this thread, but by looking it up I find that it is part of Kroger too.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:42 AM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
I shop there for items like canned foods and shampoo, etc. Meat I get at a butcher shop and
produce at Safeway.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:54 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Did they ever resolve the ownership fight?
We started calling it market Casket.

Last time was 15 yrs ago in Chelsea, I had $60 worth bagged up and they say "we don't accept master card."
No credit cards, serious .

But they take food stamps.!
I've been paying at Market Basket with a MasterCard since the early 1980's. Costco used to only take AMEX until fairly recently. I think you're confused.

Arthur S Demoulas sold his 51% stake to Arthur T Demoulas on August 27, 2014. The company has amazing employee loyalty. Nonunion. Full benefits for full timers. Ownership and management have a culture where they look out for the employees. In the United States race to the bottom, it's kind of refreshing.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

And I'm picky. But I know what I'm getting and not trying to make a Ford turn into a BMW.
More like turning a Geo Metro into a BMW, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink