Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:55 AM

24,528 posts, read 18,074,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets look at the truth. On the world grocery store market, Walmart sells up to 80% of all the groceries in some country.

I just saw a new report they do 51% of all grocery sales in the United States, with all the rest of the stores combined doing 49% of all grocery sales.
I can't even remotely believe that number. Citation please.

Here's the first thing I clicked on with a Google search:
Wal-Mart regaining grocery share from competitors at 'accelerating rate'
Quote:
"Wal-Mart is taking back share from the traditional supermarket at an accelerating rate," according to Loop Capital analyst Andrew Wolf, who estimates the retailer now has a 21.5 percent market share in the U.S. traditional grocery industry.
Time Magazine says 25% in a 2015 article. They also spend most of the article slamming Walmart for poor quality. Walmart: America's Biggest Grocery Store, America's Lowest Rated Supermarket | Money

Walmart gets grocery customers who purely shop on price and don't care about quality. If I didn't have access to a very good discount grocer, I'd likely buy a lot of staples at Walmart.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,104,666 times
Most big cities have half a dozen or more large grocery chains including Walmart personally i think Walmart isnt that different from any of the other stores however it has one major advantage over the others in that almost all Wallmarts are open 24/7, also besides groceries it sells everything from shotgun shells to motor oil to fishing lures ,electronics,clothing,pharmaceuticals You could almost say if Walmart doesnt have it you dont need it.Also most of them have a MacDonalds in the store,Photo store,opticians etc.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-15-2017 at 05:31 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 05:32 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,043,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They do generally have low prices on food but it is certainly an ordeal to shop in one.
Thats the problem, its a pain getting in and out, but they have introduced self checkout recently.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:37 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,043,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I can't even remotely believe that number. Citation please.

Here's the first thing I clicked on with a Google search:
Wal-Mart regaining grocery share from competitors at 'accelerating rate'

Time Magazine says 25% in a 2015 article. They also spend most of the article slamming Walmart for poor quality. Walmart: America's Biggest Grocery Store, America's Lowest Rated Supermarket | Money

Walmart gets grocery customers who purely shop on price and don't care about quality. If I didn't have access to a very good discount grocer, I'd likely buy a lot of staples at Walmart.

Most people want quality but aren't willing or capable of paying too much more for it.
The better cook makes a better meal.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:10 AM

190 posts, read 201,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I disagree. Walmart tends to have the best prices for branded consumables. My consumables are things like Gillette razor blades, Edge shaving cream, Bounty paper towels, Claritin D 24 hour allergy medicine, Tidy Cat kitty litter, Pounce moist cat treats. I ignore the rest of the store.

Walmart is a useful grocery store in rural areas where the small chain grocery stores are very expensive since they're such low volume. The same is true in some of the urban food deserts where the Walmart pretty much always has bus service.

In eastern Massachusetts, I have a local high volume grocery store chain called Market Basket that is typically 30% cheaper than the competition and cheaper than Walmart for the things I buy. I shop there and tend to use the other grocery store chains more as large convenience stores. I'll only buy things at those other stores when they're on sale in the grocery store flyer I get in my mailbox every week. Market Basket is the dominant regional grocery store with one distribution center. They do such a big volume in produce, fish, and meats that their stock gets replenished pretty much daily.

We here in RI are hoping for Market Basket to move into the state. My in laws try to shop at the Market Basket in Bellingham, great selection, high quality and low prices. Since the Market Basket is far away for us, ee go to Stop and Shop, use the mail flyer and shop the items with a better price with the rewards card. We like the gas point credits as well. We had a 500gas point coupon
for a $140purchase and others and ended up getting 1.50 off per gallon on a fill up. But to the original post, we only occasionally shop at Walmart and just for a half a dozen items. Our local Walmart has a pretty limited selection. I do not understand why Target started selling groceries a few years back.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:17 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,107,939 times
I despise Walmart. Their policies, politics, and zionistic Christian fundamentalist belief system. However, They are cheap, so i hold my nose and buy their food..

Old 06-15-2017, 08:22 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,398,926 times
Walmart has it's advantages..
For canned goods they can not be beat, I like evaporated milk in my coffee I can get Carnation brand for most times .50 cents less than at a local competitor.
Same for breakfast cereal, oats, and most if not all canned goods.
They are national brands so the quality is still there just not the price..
I eat kielbasa and hot dogs, why pay almost double at another retailer for the exact same product I can get at Walmart for half.. Yeah the lines suck, and the people sometimes aren't the nicest, I'll deal with that though..
My local Walmart is pretty darn clean, though granted the shelves aren't always stocked jam full of product.

Winn-Dixie I like their beef, unless I really want to splurge and go to a local butcher I shop here..

Publix has great BOGO deals, real ones where the price of the original item doesn't get jacked up to compensate for the free item.. If it does it's minimal..

Aldi's is the furthest away from me and it's a pain in the butt to get in and out of, the parking lot designer should be rounded up and hung from a tree.. Not to mention it's in the same lot as 3 restaurants and the mall.. so it's a nightmare..
I don't go there as much, though they do have some great stuff that is their brand..

Old 06-15-2017, 08:38 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,015,553 times
I've never been to a WalMart in my life.

I shop at a wide variety of places: Trader Joes, Whole Foods, a couple of local grocery store chains (Market Basket and Star), as well as local specialty places certain products (meat, seafood, cheese), farmers markets and a local Korean market.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:46 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,913,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Your Kohls has groceries??
Wow! Sorry to throw you a curve, hertford. No, my Kohl's doesn't have groceries. I don't even know where that came from. There's a Kohl's but I don't shop there - for anything and I never even think about Kohl's. I think I meant to type Target. MOF, I think I did actually type Target. Must be gremlins in the keyboard today. lol

(Hmmm. Maybe Kohl's sells groceries. I wouldn't know since it's been about 7 or 8 years since I was in there.)

Old 06-15-2017, 08:46 AM

32,543 posts, read 47,642,724 times
The world is full of knee jerk Walmart haters who tell each other total untruths about Walmart so that they can feel self-righteously superior because they don't shop there.

Lots of people shop at Walmart. Walmart is not primarily a grocery store, they just have a grocery section.

I buy a few things there but mostly shop at other stores. Walmart sells the same produce that other stores sell and for the same price. Canned goods and packaged goods are often a bit cheaper than else where. Sometime they are a lot cheaper. The brand of canned chili I like is a dollar cheaper per can than it would be if I bought it at the big name grocery store.

Mostly I don't shop at Walmart for two reasons. Their parking lot is overly crowded and I don't like to park there. The way I shop, I can buy the items I want for a better price by shopping elsewhere, if Walmart even carries the items I want, which they often don't.

I do some of my grocery shopping at Costco and some of it at the restaurant supply store, and some at a store that sells bulk items for a decent price (Winco). I buy very few canned goods or prepared foods, so mostly buy produce at Walmart. Oh yeah, Walmart has the best price on the brand of ice cream that I like.

The farmer's market in my area is mostly selling the exact same produce as I can buy in the store. They buy it at the same wholesale produce depot. That is true of farmer's markets all over the country. There will be some fresh locally grown produce, but not the majority of it. In my area, there is literally no locally grown produce at the farmer's market. Our growing season is very short and the farmers market is open for several months. If they sold local produce, it might be open for 3 weeks. So, out of the area vendors rent the tables and the farmer's market won't hold a table for local growers who only want the table for 2 weeks.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 06-15-2017 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink