Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 03:03 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

I would no more eat anything cooked in a microwave, than I would eat any frankenfoods, with altered DNA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 04:12 AM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
I use microwave in my office only. I microwave frozen breakfast in the morning, and sometimes, I microwave hot dogs at lunch or canned spaguettis (most of the time I prefer to go to my nearby restaurants during lunch)

Old 06-18-2017, 07:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
It is good for softening butter. I don't use it for reheating good solid foods because it doesn't heat evenly, so I use a lidded pan on the stovetop that I can control heat. Most of the time I even reheat soup on the stovetop since it just does a better job. Microwaves are easy to live without. I would never cook popcorn in one or really much of anything that requires even heating. Last time I reheated pizza was on the stovetop in a lidded nonstick pan and I used a little butter and crisped the crust. After doing that I will never use a microwave to reheat pizza period. The more I learn to reheat on the stovetop the more I realize that microwaves are not very good if you really enjoy food. Other than softening butter. lol

Old 06-18-2017, 07:12 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
I had small size one I think 25 years ago after few years stopped using it. I prefer stove cooking and regular ovens for baking.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I would no more eat anything cooked in a microwave, than I would eat any frankenfoods, with altered DNA.
You don't think that microwave heating alters or damages food, do you?

I don't feel like there's any sort of disadvantage to popping a piece of lasagna cold from the fridge into the microwave to heat up.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is good for softening butter. I don't use it for reheating good solid foods because it doesn't heat evenly, so I use a lidded pan on the stovetop that I can control heat. Most of the time I even reheat soup on the stovetop since it just does a better job. Microwaves are easy to live without. I would never cook popcorn in one or really much of anything that requires even heating. Last time I reheated pizza was on the stovetop in a lidded nonstick pan and I used a little butter and crisped the crust. After doing that I will never use a microwave to reheat pizza period. The more I learn to reheat on the stovetop the more I realize that microwaves are not very good if you really enjoy food. Other than softening butter. lol
Newer microwaves have a rotating turntable and a stirrer fan. Uneven heating isn't the problem it once was before.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:55 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
I've never had a microwave. I have no interest in getting one, either.

In fact, I'm the opposite...more of a laid back, lazy crack pot (slow cooker) sort of a gal!

Old 06-18-2017, 11:15 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Newer microwaves have a rotating turntable and a stirrer fan. Uneven heating isn't the problem it once was before.
And it's usually advised to let the food sit for a minute or two to let any hot spots dissipate.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I've never had a microwave. I have no interest in getting one, either.

In fact, I'm the opposite...more of a laid back, lazy crack pot (slow cooker) sort of a gal!
Same here, never owned one and if I have anything to say about it, never will.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:28 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I remember when they first came out and were called "radar ranges". I was waitressing at a "Jolly Roger" restaurant and it was terrific not having to ask the cooks to stick a piece of pie in their busy ovens, when a customer wanted a warmed pie. It seemed so magical. I used it at first with a certain amount of trepidation.

We always cook for left-overs, so it is great for reheating meals. Surprisingly, we find it does corn on the cob really well (in husk) and bacon. Not pizza. That is best on a griddle with a lid, on the stove at low heat.

No extra heat from the stove needed here in the tropics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink