Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:53 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

I eat rice 3-4 per week lately. I'm obsessed with pot cooked basmati/jasmine rice. I usually eat it with kidney beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 01:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I used to live in Hawaii and my bestie is Asian. But if he's not around, I prefer potatoes.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:32 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post

About 3 times a week with my lunch. I'm embarrassed to admit but I use the Minute Rice that comes in the microwave cups. In 60 seconds I have rice. It's the convenience of having it available instantly in single servings and honestly I think it's pretty good. They even have brown, white, basmati and jasmine which is my favorite.

Ian, I must admit if I lived in Hawaii, I would be eating a lot more rice. I've been to your state 3 times and every time I have rice there I'm amazed. My first experience with it was on a tour to Hana and the tour guide stopped at a convenience store for a break. We went inside and there was a case with balls of rice displayed the way donuts or hot dogs are displayed here in a 7-11 but it was just rice. I bought a few and after trying it I was amazed at the texture and flavor of something so simple.

For me I like it sticky and the rice I've experienced in Hawaii has always been stickier than any rice I've had anywhere else. In fact we were in Maui a few weeks ago and I had a plate lunch in Lahaina one day and the rice was so sticky it was almost like a stiff custard texture but you could still sense the grains. It was delicious and when it's cooked that way I believe it has the most flavor. Similar to sushi rice but tastier in my opinion. I would love to know the secrets of Hawaiian rice if you would care to share. Mahalo!
I guess the Lahaina restaurant from where you bought the plate lunch has a special recipe in cooking rice!

For our family, we usually buy the Japanese name brand rice which has been transplanted on US soil. Usually you can find them in the Asian supermarket. Its price is about double or even triple the generic brand you find in Costco or Safeway. But IMO it tastes much better.

And we usually mix the Jasmine and the Japonica in the rice cooker. The former can provide the aroma while the latter the stickiness.

Musubi (rice ball topped with spam and wrapped by dried seaweed but can be with any ingredient like salmon or teriyaki beef) is very common in Hawaii. They are available in 7-11 and there are also takeout restaurants specializing in different kinds of Musubi. I like it for breakfast with coffee. It is less messy and greasy than McMuffin.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:40 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Love rice, either basmati or jasmine, they go well with whatever Indian, Asian, Mexican or Cajun food I'm cooking. No need to measure, just eyeball it. The Rice A Roni and Uncle Ben sides are good if you're pressed for time. Probably eat rice 2 to 4 times a week. Olympia has lots of Pho joints and we usually eat at one on weekends. At home, forks, always chopsticks in restaurants, it adds to the fun of dining out. You can't beat Hawaii for good and creative ways to serve rice.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:42 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
2-3 times a week usually. More often, when I am with my girlfriend.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:23 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I'm not a rice lover. To me, it has no taste. I only make it when we're having Chinese food.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
The only upside of diabetes....no more rice. Never really liked it, cooked it for hubs. Rice, even a small amount, shoots my blood glucose through the roof.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:34 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Go to the Asian food section of your grocery store, and see if they have 5 lb bags of Calrose. That's probably what you're thinking of.

Thank you for the advice. Really appreciate it! I will definitely try to find it.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:42 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I guess the Lahaina restaurant from where you bought the plate lunch has a special recipe in cooking rice!

For our family, we usually buy the Japanese name brand rice which has been transplanted on US soil. Usually you can find them in the Asian supermarket. Its price is about double or even triple the generic brand you find in Costco or Safeway. But IMO it tastes much better.

And we usually mix the Jasmine and the Japonica in the rice cooker. The former can provide the aroma while the latter the stickiness.

Musubi (rice ball topped with spam and wrapped by dried seaweed but can be with any ingredient like salmon or teriyaki beef) is very common in Hawaii. They are available in 7-11 and there are also takeout restaurants specializing in different kinds of Musubi. I like it for breakfast with coffee. It is less messy and greasy than McMuffin.

The restaurant was Kimo's. Unfortunately I never got back there on this trip to try it again. Whatever they did it worked for me. I will have to try a Japanese brand of rice and see if it does the trick. I've never tried Musubi. Next trip I will definitely look for it. Thanks for all the information Ian.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:15 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I had ordered Atlantic Salmon in a lemon sauce and it came with rice and broccoli. Just finished leftovers tonite. Still quite good after re heating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink