Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:26 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When I am in the South I eat a lot of boiled peanuts. I can't get them in the nothern Midwest. They are really tasty. Once, in South Carolina, I ate a pound a day. I threw up.

I still like them, but I can't imagine eating 2 lbs. a week is good for you. The salt content alone should be enough to tip you off.

Enjoy in moderation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ugh, don't buy those canned ones.

The best ones are usually sold out of a big iron kettle on the side of the road - LOL.

This kinda applies to both of these.. The problem with the 'side of the road' folks is that proper handling isn't always practiced.. I've gotten sick from the roadside stand peanuts a couple of times.

If you can find a farmers market, or a produce stand that sells them.. Usually a little safer.

For those that haven't eaten them.. I compare the taste to black-eyed peas. So.. I'd use that as the measuring stick.. If you like black eyed peas, you'll probably like boiled peanuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 06:33 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
Because I eat 2 lbs of boiled peanuts a week.
Everything will kill you, we're all doomed.

Sitting back, taking a swig of joe and lighting up a smoke. ahhh.. thats good.!

To quote some bloke from a couple thousand yrs ago,

"its not what you put in your mouth that defiles you.
It's what comes out your mouth."

Old 06-17-2017, 10:13 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,376,258 times
For all the southern relatives I have on both sides of my family, I'd love to FINALLY try boiled peanuts for once in my life, just to say I had. Dunno why, I always hear a lot about boiled peanuts. LOL, people either seem to love or hate those, with little inbetween feelings!

Old 06-18-2017, 03:00 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
In Southern cooking, raw peanuts are often added along with other ingredients in a stew, boiled or steamed. I've eaten them like that a few times and they can be very tasty. So I'm going to buy some and start eating them like that again, thanks to your suggestion. I think that the large, light-colored Virginia peanuts would be the best.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:52 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringrainN View Post
I've never had them, but I'm a big peanut fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I don't know if they are good for you. But I had them once and they were awful.......Not good for me

they can be an acquired taste......

Old 06-18-2017, 12:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
or even here in the lower midwest..... :crying
Some of the bbq restaurants sell boiled peanuts. I know Bandanas sell them. We'll order them to go sometimes since we prefer bbq from other places. And there is always the canned stuff which you can find at Wal-Mart.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
We drove across North Alabama, Georgia, and into South Carolina this past weekend, so we got to eat plenty of boiled peanuts and peaches (and eat at Cook Out). There were several farmers markets and boiled peanut stands along the way. This is a great time of year to get off the interstate and drive some of the back roads.

The recipe I posted for slow cooker boiled peanuts is more of a process, as it only has three ingredients.

You need...

A slow cooker
1 bag of dried raw peanuts (in the shell) from the grocery store
1/2 cup salt (optionally, you can add Cajun seasoning)
Water

Pour the peanuts into your slow cooker,
Fill the slow cooker 3/4 full with water,
Pour the salt over the peanuts and stir,
Cook peanuts on high for four hours (top-off water as necessary),
Cook peanuts on low overnight (top-off water as necessary)

The peanuts are done when the water is murky, the peanuts no longer float, and the peanuts have the texture you prefer. Some like the peanuts firm, and some like the peanuts mushy. Also, some people like saltier peanuts, so adjust the salt accordingly.

NOTE: if you are using fresh raw peanuts they cook in less time.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:21 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
For all the southern relatives I have on both sides of my family, I'd love to FINALLY try boiled peanuts for once in my life, just to say I had. Dunno why, I always hear a lot about boiled peanuts. LOL, people either seem to love or hate those, with little inbetween feelings!
We have deep fried peanuts as well because.. Well, because we're the south and we deep fry EVERYTHING.

Those are.. Rather nasty IMO.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
We have deep fried peanuts as well because.. Well, because we're the south and we deep fry EVERYTHING.

Those are.. Rather nasty IMO.
I like fried peanuts; you can eat the entire peanut, shell and all. However, they are a bit high in fat (28g serving has 13g fat).

Old 06-20-2017, 06:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
Love boiled peanuts, but they have to be cajun! The vegetable stand down the street always has a couple slow cookers going full of peanuts.
I love the classic AND the cajun - give me either one!

They are just starting to take off in Texas. I spent my high school and college years in Georgia and they were common there, especially along the Gulf Coast, so they were a staple of southern road trip food ("Let's go to Panama City - and stop along the way for some boiled peanuts!")

About ten years ago, my husband and I took a road trip to Gulf Shores, Alabama. I told him, "The first roadside boiled peanuts I find, we're stopping!" He was skeptical but became a believer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink