Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:39 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Spread the peanut butter on both sides of the bread and put the jelly in between. Keeps the jelly from soaking into the bread. I've made many PB&J's that were packed in a backpack and eaten later with no ill effects. As a matter of fact the warm peanut butter makes it extra gooey! But I like the idea of freezing an extra water bottle to keep things on the cooler side.
Good points and never hurts to add a frozen drink.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 03:52 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
I've been eating PB&Js kept in all manner of conditions for over 50 years.

I'm still here!

Old 06-22-2017, 04:02 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
PBJ isn't perishable per se, but is prone to getting smashed beyond recognition if simply placed in a ziplock baggy. I would recommend getting a bento box to ensure the sandwich retains its intended quality when it comes to chow time. Leaf Light I think is the brand of bento I have purchased in varying sizes.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:02 PM

939 posts, read 787,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
...Some parts of the country don't even carry Fluff. Couldn't find it out West.
This is the only one that most stores carry now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Spread the peanut butter on both sides of the bread and put the jelly in between. Keeps the jelly from soaking into the bread. I've made many PB&J's that were packed in a backpack and eaten later with no ill effects. As a matter of fact the warm peanut butter makes it extra gooey!...
Nice one about PB on both sides.

Hmm...if the PB gets gooey from the warmth, I may have to place a Hershey's Bar in between the Fluffernutter and combine my dessert with my meal, since I love melted chocolate, and this would be a form of multi-tasking on the run, really. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 PM

564 posts, read 448,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Tuna? Out of the fridge for 7 or 8 hours? Sounds like a bad idea to me.
Poster recommended a kit, not a premade sandwich, so no worries.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:52 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
PB&J is perfect to take with you. We've done it many times in the past. Throw them into a sealed sandwich bag and you're good to go for days.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:57 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,302,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
PB&J is fine.

Try this 2/3 of a s'mores sandwich, just spread each one on it's separate slice (needs a little more PB):

I also like cream cheese and jelly sandwiches, don't know how long the CC will last.

Why not freeze at least one of your bottles of drinking water then pack it with your wrapped sandwiches/food in a large ziplock bag, then put that in a backpack etc.

As the ice melts, you'll have cold water to drink whilst keeping your food cold.

You can also freeze the sandwich...

Old 06-23-2017, 10:23 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Tuna? Out of the fridge for 7 or 8 hours? Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Not to mention lethally smelly.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
I once asked a woman who works in food safety for the CDC about jelly kept out at room temperature. She said no way; they use jelly to grow mold cultures...
Jelly isn't going to grow a big patch of mold in less than several days. We are talking keeping a sandwich unrefrigerated for a day here.

I have no problem with a tuna salad sandwich being out all day either as long as it is more or less at room temperature.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
I once asked a woman who works in food safety for the CDC about jelly kept out at room temperature. She said no way; they use jelly to grow mold cultures...
There is a w. i. d. e. difference between the algae-sourced agar used in culture dishes to 'grow mold' and the jellies sold for spreading on bread. The agar is intentionally treated with a contaminant to 'grow mold' - people making a jelly sandwich at home are smearing fruit cooked with sugar and pectin onto a slice of bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink