Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

If you ask Japanese besides sushi & ramen, what's another popular fast food, it's Yakitori or grilled chicken meat on a stick.

I know it sounds really odd for many Japanese to frequent yakitori places or from street carts. But a lot of Japanese go to these places for fresh made yakitori.

There are some places in Japan that specializes in their marinaded yakitoris they are grilled and served medium rare or sometimes tartare. Pretty much all Americans would not eat raw chicken however in Japan serving raw chicken is common in special dishes.

There's even an episode of Anthony Bourdain eating raw chicken yakitori.

Another popular fast food is yakitori don or grilled chicken rice bowl.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 10:31 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
What about the homemade ramen stands all over Japan? Choose your toppings and get served in less than a minute.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
What about the homemade ramen stands all over Japan? Choose your toppings and get served in less than a minute.
That's normal, men-ya(noodle shop) is everywhere but so are yakitori stands. Hot day like today many Japanese would eat cold soba or somen instead of hot ramen.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:07 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Skewered chicken tails. Wish I could get them here!

Old 06-23-2017, 11:21 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Skewered chicken tails. Wish I could get them here!
what part of Japan were you in? i only saw that in the P.I.
How about Tako Yaki? I was thrilled to find it in Hawaii! Also mochi. yum!

Old 06-23-2017, 11:26 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
When I get to Japan I plan to eat my way through the country. Okonomiyaki, takoyaki, yakisoba, strips of gyozas, whatever they serve hot and ready on the streets and small shops I'm game! I've learned to make my own nigiri, maki, and chirashi sushi, hayashi, Japanese curry, oden, tempura, miso soup, and the like and my next endeavor will be home made okonomiyaki.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:52 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Why would it sound odd?

Old 06-24-2017, 09:50 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I'm in Hawaii so almost anything Japanese is common. Every strip mall has a ramen shop and sushi.

Would still love to try it all in Japan.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
When I get to Japan I plan to eat my way through the country. Okonomiyaki, takoyaki, yakisoba, strips of gyozas, whatever they serve hot and ready on the streets and small shops I'm game! I've learned to make my own nigiri, maki, and chirashi sushi, hayashi, Japanese curry, oden, tempura, miso soup, and the like and my next endeavor will be home made okonomiyaki.
Wifey makes okonomiyaki all the time. Very easy stuff. It can get fancy, any Japanese dish can but it is still basic stuff.

I usually go for takoyaki and tekka don are my fav go to stuff. I'll do ramen when nothing else around since it's the safest choice. In Japan, you can't get miso ramen wrong. I do like okinawa ramen a lot, it's got more chew in the noodle.

There are tons of places in Japan where you sit down and grab as many yakitoris and then they count by the number of sticks you ate and that's how much. It's like 175-200yen each.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:47 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Wifey makes okonomiyaki all the time. Very easy stuff. It can get fancy, any Japanese dish can but it is still basic stuff.

I usually go for takoyaki and tekka don are my fav go to stuff. I'll do ramen when nothing else around since it's the safest choice. In Japan, you can't get miso ramen wrong. I do like okinawa ramen a lot, it's got more chew in the noodle.

There are tons of places in Japan where you sit down and grab as many yakitoris and then they count by the number of sticks you ate and that's how much. It's like 175-200yen each.
My son is a huge fan of Japan and in fact is changing his major to Japanese. He is doing very well acquiring his fourth language, I might add! He dreams of visiting in person to experience it IRL, I'm all about the cuisine. We have watched Midnight Diner on Netflix a lot, have you seen it? It's a fun tv series centered on a hole in the wall Japanese diner. Shinya Shokudô is the Japanese name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink