Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:15 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

We did a home exchange last week and, as often happens, they purchased some food items and left the remains for us.

Interestingly, this couple owns a large organic, free range egg farm. They are one of the suppliers to Whole Foods. They left us about a dozen free range, organic eggs, which we easily used (and, frankly, they tasted the same as my .51 cents a dozen eggs from Aldi's. Okay, maybe these free range egg yolks were a little richer tasting).

Anywho, they also left us an unopened package of velveeta sliced fake cheese. It's been years since we bought Kraft singles. We stopped when we found out our dog wouldn't even eat that crap - and he will even eat blue cheese!

Any suggestions what to do with this stuff, besides what I kinda want to do - throw it away?

(PS - they also left us Organic Valley milk and a package of stardust candy.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 09:21 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I would date it, and hide somewhere in the garage to see how many years it will take to get spoiled....

Old 07-01-2017, 09:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We did a home exchange last week and, as often happens, they purchased some food items and left the remains for us.

Interestingly, this couple owns a large organic, free range egg farm. They are one of the suppliers to Whole Foods. They left us about a dozen free range, organic eggs, which we easily used (and, frankly, they tasted the same as my .51 cents a dozen eggs from Aldi's. Okay, maybe these free range egg yolks were a little richer tasting).

Anywho, they also left us an unopened package of velveeta sliced fake cheese. It's been years since we bought Kraft singles. We stopped when we found out our dog wouldn't even eat that crap - and he will even eat blue cheese!

Any suggestions what to do with this stuff, besides what I kinda want to do - throw it away?

(PS - they also left us Organic Valley milk and a package of stardust candy.)
Spoiled brat calls individually wrapped cheese, plastic cheese. I, in a weak moment brought a package last week at Aldi's cause it was the only swiss I could find: Now I remember why he calls it plastic cheese. As for Velveeta, it is the worst or the worst. I would either give it to the garbage disposal or maybe use it in a cheese sauce, it is creamy if nothing else. And to think, my son in law could eat it every day, by the slice.

As for the eggs, I totally agree with you. I have to admit, I do buy farm fresh eggs from the farmers market every couple of weeks because they are down to $1.50 a dozen and are larger than Aldi's but I am still trying to figure out the difference in taste. They are not quite as runny either. Do ya think that makes them 3 times more expensive? I think one of the reasons I buy them is: the market I am talking about is very small and I just kinda feel sorry for the farmers who get up so early on Sat morning to make a buck or two. OK, so call me a softy, I have been called a heck of a lot worse.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:29 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Thanks for my morning laugh, sister from another mother!

Old 07-01-2017, 09:31 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
mac n cheese.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:44 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

As for the eggs, I totally agree with you. I have to admit, I do buy farm fresh eggs from the farmers market every couple of weeks because they are down to $1.50 a dozen and are larger than Aldi's but I am still trying to figure out the difference in taste. They are not quite as runny either. Do ya think that makes them 3 times more expensive? I think one of the reasons I buy them is: the market I am talking about is very small and I just kinda feel sorry for the farmers who get up so early on Sat morning to make a buck or two. OK, so call me a softy, I have been called a heck of a lot worse.
I agree about the taste, but the real benefits of free-range eggs are in their nutritional value.
Next time at the store, compare, and you will find that organic eggs have:
less cholesterol
less saturated fat
increased vitamins A, E and D
more omega-3 fatty acids
more beta carotene
The fatty acids in eggs come from chickens eating things like bugs, leafy greens, corn and flowers—ingredients completely vacant from a caged hen’s diet.
And I like to support the healthier lifestyle of free ranged hens.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:54 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Back in my childhood, mom used velveeta all the time, that's how it was back then after great depression. It was always in our house and then they started to buy sliced cheese and now here we are with all the gourmet cheese. I've been staying off cheese except buy some goat milk cheese now and then, as I took off about 30 lbs while in hospital/rehabs and don't want to put it back on. If you want to use the Velveeta make grilled cheese sandwiches or just throw it out. They sure make it tasty. I see they still sell it in the supermarkets and I pass by it and think back to childhood.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:55 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I don't know abut Velveeta slices, but the block of Velveeta cheese makes a good chili cheese sauce for topping enchiladas. Reduce the salt in everything else because Velveeta is salty, but it melts nice and smooth and gives a good color to the sauce. Especially suitable for a beef enchilada where the filing has a strong flavor of its own.

You could melt the slices over barbecued (grilled) hamburgers. Once you get the meat and bun and all the other toppings on it, the cheese is OK, rather like a fast food cheese burger.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:55 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
<>Anywho, they also left us an unopened package of velveeta sliced fake cheese. <>Any suggestions what to do with this stuff, besides what I kinda want to do - throw it away?
If you are at the beach, soak it in salt water . . . the deeper the better.
"Not even good crab bait"

Old 07-01-2017, 12:59 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
donate it to a food bank or boys and girls club.

Some kids who attend Boys and Girls Clubs don't get fed at home, and the clubs don't have funding to feed them, so donated food (especially healthy snacks) can make a huge difference for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink