Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,017,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
People who pull back corn and then don't buy it are a huge pet peeve of mine. Do not even get me started on those who shuck the ear in the store. UGH!!! It drives me nuts. Its very easy to tell if its good without peeling it. At around 20c an ear its not much of a risk anyway.
But what should they do if it's a bad ear? It's not like they can put it in the trash. I don't completely shuck but I pull back and if I see rotten or dried out areas on top, I put back. Pretty much everyone I see does at least that. I agree about the full shuck being rude only bc there's only so much room around the area and you hold up people from buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 12:04 PM

45,315 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
But what should they do if it's a bad ear? It's not like they can put it in the trash. I don't completely shuck but I pull back and if I see rotten or dried out areas on top, I put back. Pretty much everyone I see does at least that. I agree about the full shuck being rude only bc there's only so much room around the area and you hold up people from buying.
How about people like the OP who pulls back the husk and punctures a kernel or two with a fingernail?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:06 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is just an observation, but I thought it was interesting.

I generally shop at the store with the best prices and don't care about decorating in the store because that has no effect on the food once I get it home.

When I buy corn on the cob, I peel back a few leaves and pop a kernel to make sure the corn is fresh and not overripe. Everyone around me buying corn does the same thing. I get really good sweet corn at the stores where I shop.

The local Safeway, which is an expensive store, had a huge bin of corn on the cob and lots of nicely dressed people were buying corn. Not one of them opened an ear to check it. Everyone just bagged up as many ears as they wanted and bought them without checking them.

I wanted corn and I opened 5 ears and every one of those was quite over-ripe. I stopped checking because I didn't want to leave all of their corn opened and if 5 ears were bad, I suspect all of it was bad.

But here is what I thought was odd. People who were price conscious check corn before they buy it. Those stores carry good corn or they can't sell it. Nicely dressed people at the expensive store don't check it and just buy it. In that particular case, they were buying bad corn. But I don;t know if the corn is always bad because I don't routinely shop there.

Question for everyone. Do you check corn before you buy it?

Veering a bit off topic, we used to check the corn for worms before we would buy it, but there haven't been worms in corn for many years.
Just corn? I'm amazed that everyone I see pulls a bag, and starts dumping in whatever with not a look for bruises, wilting, heaviness, or scent. If it's there to buy, it must be fine. I've taught a number of people how to pick fruit, if they ask why I am doing what I am doing...

Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,017,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How about people like the OP who pulls back the husk and punctures a kernel or two with a fingernail?
Yeah, then if it's not up to their liking they put it back with their dirty fingernails having punctured it. (No offense to the OP, just saying that people most have bacteria on their hands/nails). I'd rather see an open bad ear then to have to look for puncture marks.

Last edited by hellob; 07-07-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 12:19 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,252,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

I wonder what those people do to check out cantaloupe or watermelon.

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush,
Another's green, another's mush,
I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe,
If I possessed a fluoroscope,

- Ogden Nash

Old 07-07-2017, 12:20 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

rude

Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
I do not bother. I have not encountered a bad ear of corn in decades, except in the winter, but in winter they usually have less than a dozen ears of corn, you have to take what you get. If it has bad parts, just break them off after roasting it.

We always barbeque corn in the husk, it makes better flavor. If you open the corn, it will burn the kernals, so you pretty much just ruined it.

My only rule with corn is when available I always buy Michgian sweet corn, it is much better than the corn we get from elsewhere or the corn that was available in California. I have no idea why, but it is sweeter and has better flavor.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Agree with Coldjensens. I never get bad corn. Shop at a market you know.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:50 PM

24,463 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
People who pull back corn and then don't buy it are a huge pet peeve of mine. Do not even get me started on those who shuck the ear in the store. UGH!!! It drives me nuts. Its very easy to tell if its good without peeling it. At around 20c an ear its not much of a risk anyway.
I am with you. Buy an extra ear if you want yo be on the safe side but do not dig around in produce unsuspecting strangers will eat.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:20 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,379,498 times
I prefer to buy "peaches and cream" if I can find it. There are other really good types of corn but it is my favorite. I don't peel the husks back but I do check the silks to make sure they are dark and I also like an ear than feels heavier for its size.
There are different ways to choose different fruits/veggies -- some by their smell (cantaloupes), some by how shiny they are (chiles), some by weight, but some you just HAVE to squeeze a little -- like avocados
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink