Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:29 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times

Advertisements

They don't call NJ "The Garden State" for no reason.
Fabulous corn, tomato, eggplant & blueberries grow there.

Lots of roadside stands to get fresh picked corn with no need to maul the ears to test if the corn is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 09:12 PM

939 posts, read 788,003 times
I haven't bought the ears in a while, but when I do, I only peel down to where the chewed off kernels stop.

Someone told me long ago if it's sweet, the bugs eat more of it, if it's not, it's abandoned asap for a one that is!

That system seemed to work more times than not through the subsequent decades, or, it was just a matter of the ones with the darker yellow kernels and/or just good batches?

Old 07-08-2017, 09:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

It is not at all unusual to see sweet corn here in Minnesota for $2/dozen. That's certainly on the low end of the scale, but it's regularly out there nonetheless. Normal inflation has more than doubled the average cost of things since 1987, thirty years ago. Since the late 1970s, it's increased prices more than four-fold.

Sweet corn hasn't somehow been magically immune to such economic effects. So if someone remembers finding sweet corn for 13/$1, it is hardly surprising. And there are farms in New Jersey.

I have seen sweet corn at $2 per dozen throughout the Midwest although $3 is more common in season.

However, I have also seen certain varieties at $9-10/ dozen for certain hybrids. Personally, it is not worth it.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:10 PM

325 posts, read 371,678 times
Recently I was at Sprouts and saw a worker throwing corn into the trash bin. I asked him about it and he said that every corn ear whose ear tip had been peeled had to be thrown away. I mentioned what a waste that was, and he muttered, "You wouldn't believe how much food gets wasted in this place." I never thought to peel back the layers, but since that incident I will not try it. I usually just feel for plump kernels underneath the leaves.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:22 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Sure miss that sweet Jersey shoepeg out here in the west. And beefsteak tomatoes, too.

I remember buying corn from the roadside stands in South Jersey on the way home from a day at the shore. Thirteen for a buck. Darn near made a meal all by itself!
I remember that, too! When I was a little girl, my family vacationed at the New Jersey shore. Mom and dad stopped at farm stands when we were near. The tomatoes and corn were fantastic! They were really good in PA, too, but we were on vacation, so they tasted better in New Jersey that week.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:30 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
Recently I was at Sprouts and saw a worker throwing corn into the trash bin. I asked him about it and he said that every corn ear whose ear tip had been peeled had to be thrown away. I mentioned what a waste that was, and he muttered, "You wouldn't believe how much food gets wasted in this place." I never thought to peel back the layers, but since that incident I will not try it. I usually just feel for plump kernels underneath the leaves.
I hate to see perfectly good food thrown into the trash.

My son used to do that. I'm not sure where he got the idea that a vegetable with a blemish needed to be thrown in the trash. It wasn't me.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Where we buy it, it's always sweet and good so we don't have to do anything but put it in the cart.
This. I just buy it, I do go to a store with a really, really good produce section.

But I have never gotten a bad ear of corn there yet. Or at the Farmers Market.

But I only buy it during the growing season.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:04 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,648 times
Bicolor corn was 10 cents an ear at Target last night. I expect them to be delicious later today.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:23 AM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
.......But over-ripe? I don't even know what over-ripe would be. What is it?
Picked when it is past the milk stage, or stored too long. The sugars turn to starch and the corn is starchy instead of sweet and the older it is the tougher the kernels are. It's still edible (usually) but it isn't nearly as good.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:13 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Picked when it is past the milk stage, or stored too long. The sugars turn to starch and the corn is starchy instead of sweet and the older it is the tougher the kernels are. It's still edible (usually) but it isn't nearly as good.
Yes !

there are three maturity stages for corn ( both sweet and field corn )

milk stage
dough stage
dent stage

anything past milk stage is too mature for good sweet corn on the cob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink