Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My father said they were so poor, they ate octopus. Nowadays, that's a premium seafood!
pickled tripe is now over 10.00lb!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 07:31 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
pickled tripe is now over 10.00lb!!
I wouldn't eat tripe if they paid me $10.00 a lb to do so.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:40 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I grew up poor. It will take a bit more time and maybe travel, but poor people can eat healthy food.
That's the rub. If you don't have a car, or are struggling with kids and working odd hours, it becomes very hard. I live within 2 miles of a Kroger, 2 Harris Teeters, Costco, Trader Joe's, and a Fresh Market.

The term "Food Desert" isn't a joke. Just drive around a poor neighborhood and look at the little corner markets that people have to shop at. Expensive, with limited selection for non optimal food.

The other challenge they run into, is that when resources are scarce, many are loathe to buy perishable food.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:58 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
what is healthy for one person ...doesnt mean healthy for another,.
all in moderation..

my god i ran into 3 classmates within the last week.. i graduated with and they have health issues on at least 2 different medications (over 50)
by far i have the so called unhealthiest diet. and no pills,,,, not overweight etc.

a lot in the mix here...

but also food is a reward...a way of life,,,enjoy your food!!!

i think we all know chips, ice cream, pies cakes and processed foods are not good for us.. and yes it is wise to minimize these items in a healthy lifestyle,

my nephews new girlfriend went on and on about organics around the dinner table and mentioned the word "sustainability" 12 times....then excuses herself to go outside for a smoke..maybe im getting old,,,but that makes no sense to me..

the modern day supermarket is a modern marvel......

if any of our ancestors came back from the past from 100's of years ago....they would be amazed to find all the abundance of fresh foods from around the world...

Can't rep you again but

We are fortunate to have the ability to dine out...but there's nothing that I can't do better at home, doesn't come wrapped around 'molecular gastronomy' for $$$$$$ and snotty 'service,' plus someone else's loathsome idea of what constitutes music blasted over me at jet-engine volume.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
Its a shame we get so locked into shopping at the big grocery stores and paying their prices for produce that we forget the small producer. The convenience of one stop shopping is such that people will overpay for items instead of shopping around and finding (usually) better quality produce at cheaper prices. As others have stated some people with a go go go lifestyle of work and children find it hard to shop sensibly and opt for lower quality goods while paying premium prices, surely making time to shop to provide the best food nutritionally should be a priority ?

Myself, I buy beef from our farmer neighbour, he charges $3/lb for his beef which is all grass fed with no or minimal use of antibiotics. I also herdshare with him for unpasteurized milk.
I have my own chickens and ducks, the cost of feeding the chickens is about 40cents a day and my return on that is 7 or 8 eggs a day which I sell at $2 a dozen so the chickens pay for themselves and we have plenty of eggs for our own use. The ducks also do their part we have a couple of friends who request duck eggs which I sell for $3 a dozen we get only 3 eggs a day from my 5 ladies but they still pay for themselves.
We have looked into keeping sheep, we have acreage to sustain them but I fear I wouldn't be able to send them to market so they would become rather expensive woolly pets so I buy lamb along with pork at a local farmers market where the costs are lower and the produce much better quality.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Its a shame we get so locked into shopping at the big grocery stores and paying their prices for produce that we forget the small producer. The convenience of one stop shopping is such that people will overpay for items instead of shopping around and finding (usually) better quality produce at cheaper prices. As others have stated some people with a go go go lifestyle of work and children find it hard to shop sensibly and opt for lower quality goods while paying premium prices, surely making time to shop to provide the best food nutritionally should be a priority ?

Myself, I buy beef from our farmer neighbour, he charges $3/lb for his beef which is all grass fed with no or minimal use of antibiotics. I also herdshare with him for unpasteurized milk.
I have my own chickens and ducks, the cost of feeding the chickens is about 40cents a day and my return on that is 7 or 8 eggs a day which I sell at $2 a dozen so the chickens pay for themselves and we have plenty of eggs for our own use. The ducks also do their part we have a couple of friends who request duck eggs which I sell for $3 a dozen we get only 3 eggs a day from my 5 ladies but they still pay for themselves.
We have looked into keeping sheep, we have acreage to sustain them but I fear I wouldn't be able to send them to market so they would become rather expensive woolly pets so I buy lamb along with pork at a local farmers market where the costs are lower and the produce much better quality.
"unpasteurized milk"

At least buy it from a farmer who also sells milk to a processing plant.

That way he gets a complete report on the quality of the milk that he is selling.

If milk processors will not buy milk from a farmer that doesn't pass their qualifications by testing, why should you pay him a premium price and not get a test report ?

There was a farmer who got arrested for bringing raw milk into a town and had a delivery route.
His customers were furious and said the raw milk he sold was " healthy, nutritious"

( some of his customers were college grads with masters degrees spouting that nonsense )

It turned out that the reason that farmer had resorted to selling raw milk is he failed the State farm inspection and had his permit pulled also due to the terrible lab test results on the milk.

Very high bacteria counts and scc counts..........above legal limits.

The processor wouldn't buy that slop , yet his gullible customers thought it was the greatest just because it was raw milk.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:24 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course some things we grew up eating (for those of us over 60) and consider a budget meal is anything but: I can think of two things right off the top of my head, both are beef: brisket and the other stew meat.

When you mention meats like chicken feet, not everyone even realize you can eat them and I bet if you went to the right place you could still buy them at a bargain price, but remember how people today eat and how our grandparent ate are different. most of us do not live in a rural area or raise our garden. You are talking foods that fall more under rural eating. At least that is how I see it. Maybe I am the one that is wrong.
I can buy chicken feet here easily at a large Asian grocer. You'll likely be shocked to know they are 2.99+ per pound.

I was able to buy fresh liver easily in Phoenix at several regular grocery stores that were located near Hispanic neighborhoods and Mexican grocers. Here in Raleigh none of the grocers carry it. Not even the Hispanic grocers. It's not a heavily Mexican area in Raleigh- mostly Salvadoran and Guatemalan. I guess they don't eat liver like the Mexicans do. I could order from a butcher shop, but I only want enough for one single meal (DH won't touch the stuff The day he finds out what pate is made of will be a tragedy for him.) And I HATE frozen liver!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:28 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"unpasteurized milk"

At least buy it from a farmer who also sells milk to a processing plant.

That way he gets a complete report on the quality of the milk that he is selling.

If milk processors will not buy milk from a farmer that doesn't pass their qualifications by testing, why should you pay him a premium price and not get a test report ?

There was a farmer who got arrested for bringing raw milk into a town and had a delivery route.
His customers were furious and said the raw milk he sold was " healthy, nutritious"

( some of his customers were college grads with masters degrees spouting that nonsense )

It turned out that the reason that farmer had resorted to selling raw milk is he failed the State farm inspection and had his permit pulled also due to the terrible lab test results on the milk.

Very high bacteria counts and scc counts..........above legal limits.

The processor wouldn't buy that slop , yet his gullible customers thought it was the greatest just because it was raw milk.
Our local milk marketing board decided that he (and a couple of neighboring farms) who produced lower quantities of milk weren't worth collecting from anymore so his choice was to lose his dairy herd or find another way of selling. He opted for the latter, there is a buy-in and a monthly fee for the milk which is the best I've tasted. Once again, both his dairy and his meat herd are all grass fed, no hormones, no antibiotics and no corn. We know what we are buying and who we are buying from, we see the cows daily his closest field is no more than 100ft from my kitchen window.
Previous to this I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant, after a visit to the UK where rBST and other chemicals aren't used and being able to drink milk, eat cheeses and yoghurts it became clear I was allergic to the additives to commercial milk not to the milk itself. I now make my own yoghurts and enjoy the best milk daily.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My father said they were so poor, they ate octopus. Nowadays, that's a premium seafood!
LOL! I remember when I was a girl, my uncle in England used to use soft-shell crabs for bait!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:31 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
I found this thread out on the main CD forum and came in here to complain about collard greens. We have been eating them for a few centuries in my family, lol. Who knew that all these years later it would turn into an "it" food. Where have these people been and when did they catch up?

I was too done with it all when I saw a collard green dip recipe. Just wow. Don't even get me started on oxtails.

And btw, wasn't both lobster and pizza both foods for the poor and downtrodden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink