Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:22 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times

Advertisements

I've used a marinade, as opposed to a sauce. The salmon fillets come out of the oven perfectly seasoned, no sauce required.

For two 6 ounce fillets:

2 cloves garlic, minced
6 Tbsp. light olive oil
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper

Place all in a glass dish and let marinate in the refrigerator for one hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees C.
Wrap salmon in foil packets, cover with the marinade and seal tight.
Place back in dish, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 07:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Depends on the type of salmon. If I've splurged and bought beautiful fresh wild sockeye salmon, the only thing that's gonna hit it will be salt, pepper and finished with a bit of butter and a squeeze of lemon.

On the other hand, the farm raised salmon (with the added color) is always sauced. Personally, I don't like it, but DH does. The usual sauce is roasted tomatoes, maybe with some other herbs and a bit of roasted garlic.
Farm raised Atlantic salmon is actually my second favorite salmon, and that is just because it is farm raised. If I could get wild Atlantic salmon I'd choose it over King. It is rich, fatty, unctuous. Ok, I know what's for dinner this weekend.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:00 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
usually just season and cook quickly in olive oil and a dab of butter- today it was a tad over cooked (I was finishing some pan veggies with it, so I added a dab of our favorite Jamaiican Jerk sauce to the top of each fillet (its actually a wing sauce but pretty tasty in general)-
worked great!

Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
For salmon, always offer the sauce on the side. I put a dry rub on the salmon then grill it. Usually my go-to sauce (more of a condiment) is cherry preserves with chopped chipotle in adobo sauce, then a squirt of lime juice.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Farm raised Atlantic salmon is actually my second favorite salmon, and that is just because it is farm raised. If I could get wild Atlantic salmon I'd choose it over King. It is rich, fatty, unctuous. Ok, I know what's for dinner this weekend.
Ah, another plebian who likes Atlantic better! I always feel like I'm supposed to hide in a corner in shame when I say I like it better.

Have you tried Norwegian salmon? My local supermarket carries it and it's amazing, it melts in your mouth.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Ah, another plebian who likes Atlantic better! I always feel like I'm supposed to hide in a corner in shame when I say I like it better.

Have you tried Norwegian salmon? My local supermarket carries it and it's amazing, it melts in your mouth.
Oh, yeah!

You may find this article interesting:

Farmed vs. wild salmon: Can you taste the difference?

The judgments were definitive, and surprising. Farmed salmon beat wild salmon, hands down. The overall winner was the Costco frozen Atlantic salmon (Norwegian), added to the tasting late in the game — to provide a counterpoint to all that lovely fresh fish, we thought.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:48 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Have been following this thread and just today our local paper had a recipe for a salmon sauce! I was planning on salmon for dinner today anyway and decided to make it. Luckily I had all the ingredients, except yogurt.

OT: Well, I just found the most amazing plain yogurt (BTW, I have been using their flavored yogurt from a different natural foods store as I like the maple flavored version and was wary of buying it today because it has always been so 'watery'). Anyway the brand is Maple Hill Creamery, 100% grass fed, whole milk silky Smooth' Plain Yogurt. OMG it is awesome and I'm sure it made this recipe even better. Now I will go to the store where I usually buy this yogurt and inform them that their product is somehow compromised.

Usually I have my salmon grilled with only sea salt and black pepper. But I thought I'd give it a try (really based on the interest of the OP!) . I ❤️ it!

Here it is:

Grilled Salmon with Yogurt Sauce

1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt (I used the whole milk yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt*
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

4 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets

In a small bowl, combine yogurt, ginger, turmeric, coriander, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and set aside.

Prepare salmon, top with yogurt sauce.

I found it just spicy enough, BUT I will use less salt next time. I'm extra sensitive to salt and use it sparingly, in fact, almost never. So, I need to remember to taste test it before I add the full amount of salt!

I will definitely make this sauce again!

Old 07-15-2017, 10:42 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Oh, yeah!

You may find this article interesting:

Farmed vs. wild salmon: Can you taste the difference?

The judgments were definitive, and surprising. Farmed salmon beat wild salmon, hands down. The overall winner was the Costco frozen Atlantic salmon (Norwegian), added to the tasting late in the game — to provide a counterpoint to all that lovely fresh fish, we thought.
Oh wow, really interesting! I'm not a member of Costco but a family member is so I'll definitely ask her to get me some the next time she goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink