Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:48 PM

10,022 posts, read 17,928,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I use to love the sweet cereals. Cocoa krispies.

With a gallon of milk I could eat the whole box

Cocoa Puffs. Cap'n Crunch.

But I don't buy these anymore ( lead me not into food temptation)
LOL, this! ^^^ When I eat cereal, which isn't often these days, it's usually Frosted Flakes, Honey Smacks, Sugar Pops (maybe they took "sugar" out of the name), etc. My childhood favorites, in other words.

I would have Alpha Bits if they brought back the original version (they changed it, the new version was gag-worthy , they stopped selling it).

Oh, and for me cereal is almost never for breakfast. I agree with Lubby, it's just not filling enough. (I often have a large-ish breakfast with smaller meals later instead of the other way around.)

I did recently buy a box of some version of a healthier cereal (can't remember the name) -- oats, quinoa (I think), fruit, etc. It was actually tasty, as opposed to most of the "healthy" cereals I've tried!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 08:53 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,607,781 times
For those on a low carb diet, like myself, Special K Protein is one of the better cereals to eat. Unfortunately, after a while it starts tasting like cardboard!

Prior to the doctor suggested diet, one of my favorites was Cracklin Oat Bran. Tasty but way off the diet.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:55 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,803,685 times
Honey Smacks/Golden Crisp
Apple Cin. Cheerios
Special K Strawberry

are my tops but ill eat just about any.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,277,853 times
I don't like sugary kid cereals, overall. I seldom eat breakfast cereal at all, but if I do, it's really thrilling cereal like Shredded Wheat, Corn Chex, Cracklin' Oat Bran, Grape Nuts, etc.

My major pregnancy craving was Grape Nuts with half and half.

I generally prefer toast, scrambled or fried eggs, breakfast sandwiches, bagels, hard boiled eggs, coffee and a croissant, etc. for breakfast. Never been a huge cereal fan, hot or cold.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,188,670 times
I like flakes. Corn flakes, Wheaties, Bran flakes (don't need no stinkin' raisins).

I also like Honey Nut Cheerios.

But my all time favorite is Grape Nuts.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:34 PM

22,641 posts, read 6,390,317 times
Walmart generic for Special K, (Awake)
Frozen blueberries (keeps cereal cold)
Lactose free 2% milk

Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 PM

61,154 posts, read 85,977,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
it's interesting that although most all American food have found their way into other countries diets, the cereal remains uniquely American. Nobody else eats them.
GB is one of the world's largest consumers of puffed, flaked and sugared breakfast cereals. Unlike other Europeans, they have succumbed almost entirely to the American invention.

Most cereals are loaded with sugar and refined carbs. It is making us fat and unhealthy, and most people are eating way too much of it. (most of them have sugar listed as the second or third ingredient)
While our supermarkets have more variety and selection of food products than most other countries, our diet is full of unhealthy foods. People actually believe that cereal is healthy, and a way to start a day - more than 30% Americans eat cereal for breakfast.
And those are the worst ( but beloved) breakfast cereals, ever!
The 28 Worst Breakfast Cereals

Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,011,809 times
Corn flakes or Rice Chex usually topped with a handfull of berries and doused in milk

Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,131,659 times
I don't normally eat breakfast, but I will eat cereal later in the day for a snack or for dinner if there's nothing else I feel like eating. I like Honey Nut Cheerios. I love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch but they get unappetizingly soggy in milk way too fast. I loved Blueberry Morning but I haven't seen it in stores for a while now so I thought maybe they stopped making it.

I used to eat the flavored Quaker oatmeal, especially strawberry, but that gave me heartburn for some reason. I LOVED Cream of Wheat as a kid but when I tried it again as an adult, it was really bland. Maybe my mom doctored it up somehow and made it taste good or maybe it's different now than it was then.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 PM

99,042 posts, read 4,465,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I like flakes. Corn flakes, Wheaties, Bran flakes (don't need no stinkin' raisins).

I also like Honey Nut Cheerios.

But my all time favorite is Grape Nuts.
Grape Nuts is my favorite as well.

Other favorites are Cheerios, Shredded Wheat and Wheat Chex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink