Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If restaurant food and kitchen inspections were suddenly discontinued, would that change how often y
I would eat out just as often. 20 28.99%
I would eat out less often, probably just at restaurants where I personally know the owner. 18 26.09%
I would stop eating out entirely. 24 34.78%
I don't know. 7 10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:46 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times

Advertisements

I worked in restaurants when I was younger so I'd like to think I know probably better than most what to look out for. Most of it is just common sense and obvious. Look at the place when you walk in. Are the windows clean? Do you get a good vibe? Do the host/hostesses look polished in appearance like professionals? That's my first part.

Second, take a look at the table when you sit down. If I see trash all over the floor and sticky booths/tables I've been known to get up and leave if it's really bad. Another sure sign it's not a good place is looking at the condiment caddies/salt and pepper shakers. Are they gross? That's another clue the restaurant isn't making cleanliness a top priority.

Another thing to do is subtly/quietly check the kitchen line if you can get a glimpse. That will tell you more than anything else. If you see dirty plates, food, filth, etc. where the food is being plated and trayed you KNOW it's not a hygienic place.

Which is not to say I'm fanatically picky, I'm really not. When it comes to higher-end dining I tend not to fret as much, and that's speaking from experience. The places I worry about are more the casual chain restaurants and family diners. Honestly, I don't eat at those corporate chain types because I know just how inconsistent they can be with implementing policy. The mom-and-pop diners I go to I'll probably eat at for life because the ones that do it right, they are always there overseeing things be done correctly for the sake of their own livelihood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 06:22 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,017 times
I know that things already go on in restaurant kitchens, but it would be much worse if there were no repercussions. So I'd juts stop eating out. It would probably be a good thing for me anyway.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:30 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,060,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Let's assume starting today there would no longer be inspections at restaurants. Would you continue eating out just as often, less often, or stop eating out altogether?
Inspections are not very thorough.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:58 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
I've eaten street food all over the world, India/Central America/China, and, strangely enough, I never got sick eating street food. One thing nice about street food is there's no closed doors, you get to see them cooking it in front of your very own eyes.

As far as inspections go, with only 2% of frozen fish from Asia is tested.....................

It wouldn't take much for me to quit restaurants altogether as, when home, I never eat out and love to cook. But, when traveling, what choices are there?

In the Food section of the Wednesday paper, they used to publish the names of all the restaurants and their findings/demerits, but the last 5 years, that column no longer exists.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,929,198 times
No way. Our newspaper publishes infractions online. I can't figure out why people don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. That is just so gross.

I worked in restaurants for years and hubby is a gm/owner of one now. He's a neat freak. He also knows what's going on in other kitchens. We only eat where he knows it's safe.

Outside of our neighborhood, we go by reviews & appearances. Also, we never eat at places that aren't busy when we go in. That's just because we worry food is not moving fast enough. To tell you the truth, though, some grocery stores worry me more than some of the restaurants.

I'll take it a step further, though. We're neat freaks about our own kitchen. We don't eat food prepared by some friends bc we've seen their food handling. Judge me, I don't care, lol. For example, went to a cook out and watched the guy grilling place grilled beef, where he'd just had the raw meat sitting. No kidding. We're never rude and always discreet.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:24 AM

8,046 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Let's assume starting today there would no longer be inspections at restaurants. Would you continue eating out just as often, less often, or stop eating out altogether?

In the Libertarian Dystopia of the Future there would be no restaurant inspections.

But any customer would be able to draw his weapon at any time and demand to see the kitchen. He would then be allowed to inspect the kitchen unless the restaurant employees had superior firepower.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No, I wouldn't. I hope the unannounced inspections keep standards somewhat high. I only eat in real restaurants, not junk or chain places, if that helps. Mostly I simply cook at home.
A franchise or chain is usually cleaner. They don't want to lose their franchise and the chain has people that are rated by the company when the company inspects.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Sure. But I eat at street stalls in Thailand and (horrors!) Roadside taco stands in Mexico. I just look to be sure the place looks reasonably clean, that the person handing monly isn't handling food, and that it's crowded. Empty restaurant = people are getting sick or it's lousy food - I'll pass on both, please.

PS my husband used to be in the bar and restaurant business. From what he's told me, some of what those inspections entail is pretty ludicrous.

In any event, numerous studies have shown that our home kitchens are unsanitary. What - you say " no, not MY kitchen!" That reminds me of people who claim their pet NEVER goes in the house. Both statements are baloney. (Sorry - a little food pun.)

Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
When one works in this industry, they tend to take those cleaning tricks & food preservations tips home with them. I am often miffed when folks complain about restaurants and food inspections. I guarantee that if an inspector went into homes, none would pass. I've witnessed some of the zaniest reasons for denial of operations by inspectors. From the refridge door not having proper grease at hinges to, that lubricant on the door hinge can cause bacteria! Which is it?

So if an inspector didn't show up, Most owners would still pride themselves on food safety. They don't want a lawsuit.

I have partaken from food trucks and that is quite questionable on food safety. And that seems to still get alot of folks flocking to them.
Lawsuit? Jumping the gun a bit? It's VERY hard to prove where a case of food poisoning came from unless there are dozens of sick people who ate at the same restaurant at the same time. Food poisoning is far more common than most people realize.

I've worked in the restaurant industry for years and many owners and managers don't care about sanitation. They care about making a buck. Some of the restaurants I've worked for, I would never eat in and told friends and family to avoid the place. Others were ridiculously clean and they were serious about sanitation. Like you could eat off the floor and not worry about it.

Many people really don't know much about food safety. Temperatures and proper storage are a huge deal. There's a reason for that. Same with storage of cleaning products. Walk-ins tell a great story about sanitation practices. Many walk-ins would make people gag and run out that restaurant.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
I'm truthfully amazed at the number of people who said they would stop dining our! I hope those folks don't travel internationally. I rather doubt that health inspections are taken so seriously in many other countries, if they even occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink