Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If restaurant food and kitchen inspections were suddenly discontinued, would that change how often y
I would eat out just as often. 20 28.99%
I would eat out less often, probably just at restaurants where I personally know the owner. 18 26.09%
I would stop eating out entirely. 24 34.78%
I don't know. 7 10.14%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:29 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I never go to a restaurant with the thought of whether or not it has been inspected. Farthest thing from my mind. So.... No, it wouldn't stop me.
Understood. However, If it was announced on the news that there would no longer be restaurant inspections, would you change your mind?

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-28-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 04:32 PM

Everyone has made interesting comments! Am very impressed! My goal is to have at least 100 votes cast by August 23 when the poll ends. Should happen unless I just jinxed it.

There are already 60 votes in just 4 days. Did not expect this many so soon. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-28-2017 at 04:41 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 09:10 PM

939 posts, read 787,889 times
I probably would, depending on the restaurant.

I'm sure they've happened to gross offenders, but I haven't heard of two inspections on one location within a year's time, so I guess some can cruise after they get the initial rating, which may bring them right down to the non-rated places, depending on the ethics of the owner and staff.

If it looked questionable though, I like others, would check out the bathroom first.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
I don't eat out much to begin with and I'm not sure there are health inspectors in my area to begin with, lol. I am more likely to make a judgment call on my own about a restaurant. If it is clean I will give it a try. If it is not clean, smells, or the employees seem lazy I will pass. Also if no one goes there that is a red flag.

Also let's not forget that some food inspectors get paid off in some states. You can't always trust what you read/see. Just use common sense and talk to others. I will pay attention to recalls and outbreaks of something going around. I do not want food poisoning.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Understood. However, If it was announced on the news that there would no longer be restaurant inspections, would you change your mind?
Still wouldn't make much difference to me. As I posted before, I do not put as much into the inspections as I might into my own determination about the cleanliness of any public place.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:51 AM

939 posts, read 787,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Also let's not forget that some food inspectors get paid off in some states...

Some construction sites are given a warning..."OSHA is coming tomorrow at 11:00 am, round up all the faulty ladders, power cords etc., and put the safety back on all the saws!". Then, after they leave...put them all back!

Old 08-06-2017, 12:11 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
Some construction sites are given a warning..."OSHA is coming tomorrow at 11:00 am, round up all the faulty ladders, power cords etc., and put the safety back on all the saws!". Then, after they leave...put them all back!
Yes, that's a real issue. I worked at an agency that did inspections and they were regular enough that the facilities had trouble hiding errors and were often cited. There were other agencies that would inspect so infrequently that you'd have an idea that the inspection was coming and clean up your act before the inspection was due. If you have an inspection yearly and know the inspector comes around in May, then chances are you'll clean up your act starting in mid-April. I know that some people didn't want to expand to get our type of license because they'd have to go from biannual inspections to monthly. I worked at another agency that had yearly inspections and there were still facilities that managed to fail those and not fix the citations. It's just another level of bad when the facility is so awful that it can't pass an occasional inspection like that.

I don't think I would change my behavior as a result having worked with inspectors in the past and having seen how it worked. Lots of restaurants are probably bad but smart enough to clean up when they think inspectors will come.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Still wouldn't make much difference to me. As I posted before, I do not put as much into the inspections as I might into my own determination about the cleanliness of any public place.
Agree that our own determination is also important. When I lived in San Jose, there was a hole in the wall place I enjoyed that serves mainly burgers and barbecue and was cleaner than most chain restaurants. Have also had a few meals there on occasion when visiting family/friends. Was often cleaner than the 7-11 in the same mini-mall. A friend of mine knows the owner, too.

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-11-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink