Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 12:47 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,911,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Actually Kroger, Publix and many others are focused on smaller formats.

https://www.bloomberg.com/profession...ormat-success/
Bonus Buzz: Kroger sets opening date for massive store | Free | The Daily News

This Kroger just opened last summer. I guess it depends upon where you're located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:02 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,763,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I doubt it. I don't see the majority of people ordering groceries online and having them shipped to the house.
I order most everything online except meat, dairy, fruit, veggies and shoes.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,198,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Considering the number of grocery stores, the U.S. has the lowest store density (per capita) in the developed world. Therefore it seems absurd to think that the U.S. has too many grocery stores. But the main reason for the small number of grocery stores is of course that the U.S. is so car oriented.
But isn't that really because the stores we have are mostly huge monstrosities? In other countries they tend to be smaller and non-chain...and people shop more often for very few processed food items, hence no need for huge stores - just produce, meat, and staples.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:09 AM

4,443 posts, read 3,757,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Bonus Buzz: Kroger sets opening date for massive store | Free | The Daily News

This Kroger just opened last summer. I guess it depends upon where you're located.
Kroger and most grocers are now focused on smaller formats, including convenience stores.

For Grocers Like Kroger, Smaller is Better

Old 08-03-2017, 11:00 AM

4,670 posts, read 3,426,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
It's a shame your area has limitations for groceries. It definitely depends on where you live. We have wonderful small shops as well as a huge amount of large chain, big box and warehouse stores. The variety would seem to keep all types of shoppers here happy.

We have small Italian markets with specialty deli, onsite butcher and bakery with the best bread and rolls! We have farms with fresh produce and their own milk and baked goods/preserves. We still have butcher shops/meat markets, family owned bakeries and a variety of ethnic shops. I've lived in two counties outside of Philadelphia all my life (less the first 22 months), and I think shopping choices for groceries have improved over the decades. The small family owned shops we go to do a thriving business and have been here for many decades. As long as there is a demand for such quality, it doesn't matter how many supermarkets are around. Our area is proof of that.
It really does depend on location in the country, I guess. We, too, have many small specialty stores. Within a fifteen minute walk of my house I have a bakery, two butcher shops, a seafood market, a deli and a small shop selling homemade type food. Within a fifteen minute drive we have farmer's markets, farm stands, small ethnic food stores, more bakeries both traditional and ethnic then I can shake a stick at. Oh and there are plenty of regular supermarkets .

Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 AM

154 posts, read 228,182 times
Too many where foreigners get their products for free using EBT cards, only to resell them.
That, and those that will give you 50¢ on the dollar for EBT benefits meant for food.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:21 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,437,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But isn't that really because the stores we have are mostly huge monstrosities? In other countries they tend to be smaller and non-chain...and people shop more often for very few processed food items, hence no need for huge stores - just produce, meat, and staples.
The largest supermarket that I've ever been in was store named Cactus located in Diekirk, Luxembourg.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:57 PM

810 posts, read 661,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
That's pretty much the premise of this article.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/superma...80210213748382

What do you think? Some people say we have too many grocery stores, other people say our stores are too big. Then other people say the stores we do have don't have the right selection.

All I know is, there is no perfect store. And I usually have to shop 3-4 different stores every week. Sometimes I want organic French olive oil, sometimes I want Oreos. Sometimes I want fresh halibut, sometimes I want boiled peanuts. Why can't one store have everything?

Why has no one been able to come up with the perfect store? Not too big, not too small, not too expensive. This should not be that hard.

Maybe the solution is no store and buying everything online. That way, no wasted time and trips to the store where you can't find the right selection or price or quality. That's what the "experts" say anyway.
This is the US. Our country is big. Our roads are big. Our cars. Our houses are big. The people are big. We need big grocery stores. Too many fast food places though.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,757,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I order most everything online except meat, dairy, fruit, veggies and shoes.
Further reinforcing my statement.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:44 PM

34,821 posts, read 30,885,993 times
We only have one regional chain, one dumpy Kroger, Aldi, and Walmart in my town of 50,000. Prices are through the roof. I'd love some competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink