U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:11 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,522,012 times

Advertisements

Gotta say I've had farmed and wild salmon a lot and prefer the farmed salmon flavor. Wild salmon does taste good when you catch it yourself and cook it there on a fire, but I think that's just the romanticism of the whole thing getting to my tastebuds. If as dirt grinder says farmed has a higher fat content, then no wonder I think it tastes better.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:22 PM

12,448 posts, read 9,968,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Gotta say I've had farmed and wild salmon a lot and prefer the farmed salmon flavor. Wild salmon does taste good when you catch it yourself and cook it there on a fire, but I think that's just the romanticism of the whole thing getting to my tastebuds. If as dirt grinder says farmed has a higher fat content, then no wonder I think it tastes better.
Wild salmon has half the fat content of farmed salmon. That's one of the metrics used against farmed salmon.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:25 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,666,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
What is wrong with farmed fish?

Which is Healthier: Wild Salmon vs Farmed Salmon | Prevention

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...farmed-salmon/

Farmed vs. Wild Salmon :: Washington State Department of Health

The truth about tilapia | Fox News

It goes on and on. I tasted farmed salmon once, so that I would have a legitimate opinion on the subject of taste vs. wild Alaska(where I lived for 40 years and commercial fished for 10 years) salmon. I found the texture a zero, like soft wax, the flavor was soapy, the color unrealistic. It was terrible, though it was prepared at a well respected upscale seafood restaurant in Anchorage.

Farming fish kills jobs, requires more resources to raise, is a great threat to wild stocks and habitat and is an inferior product compared to wild salmon. Lastly, it tastes like crap. Generally speaking any/all farmed fish I have tasted fits the above description. Many share my opinion.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
...Many share my opinion.
...many more just ignore it and treat it as the daily hype that it is.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:13 PM

564 posts, read 220,313 times
Quote:
Which is Healthier: Wild Salmon vs Farmed Salmon | Prevention

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...farmed-salmon/

Farmed vs. Wild Salmon :: Washington State Department of Health

The truth about tilapia | Fox News

It goes on and on. I tasted farmed salmon once, so that I would have a legitimate opinion on the subject of taste vs. wild Alaska(where I lived for 40 years and commercial fished for 10 years) salmon. I found the texture a zero, like soft wax, the flavor was soapy, the color unrealistic. It was terrible, though it was prepared at a well respected upscale seafood restaurant in Anchorage.

Farming fish kills jobs, requires more resources to raise, is a great threat to wild stocks and habitat and is an inferior product compared to wild salmon. Lastly, it tastes like crap. Generally speaking any/all farmed fish I have tasted fits the above description. Many share my opinion.
I've always wondered, but have never asked. I'm major land locked, w. KS. Good info, thanks AK76!

Old 08-07-2017, 03:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 4,706,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Frozen scallops are one of those foods..

But what really got me was when I called the local fish supplier and got told their scallops were farmed and frozen..
It was scallop season.. Why?

Scallops is one of those where you never know what it is made of.

Ie,

https://www.thespruce.com/fake-scall...-types-1808811

Old 08-07-2017, 05:25 PM

26,493 posts, read 37,761,478 times
And then there are those of us who avoid the entire angst of eating fish. I don't eat that foul tasting crap no matter where it's caught or raised.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,666,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
...many more just ignore it and treat it as the daily hype that it is.
You are free to choose to eat kind of garbage as it pleases you.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
You are free to choose to eat kind of garbage as it pleases you.
Well, if you'd take the time to do a bit of research instead of parroting fearmongers, you might quit propagating disinformation.

New Zealand Alpine Salmon

And there's the Whiteleg Shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei), raised in clean and efficient US-based shrimp farms. These earn a "Best Choice" spot in the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program.

There are numerous excellent choices for farmed seafood.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:07 PM

1,588 posts, read 1,718,543 times
I will not buy food from China. It is bad enough we have to buy the other crap they put out. I won't even buy dog food that is made anywhere but the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink