Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:27 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
...I am educated on the subject...Just because something is offered as a "best choice" advertised alternative to the real thing, does not make it superior to what nature has nurtured for 4 to 6 MILLION years or more.
It seems your extensive "education" doesn't allow you to distinguish between a high-quality farmed product and a product that is detrimental to the environment.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:38 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Absolutely no way! I do not eat anything from China, Asia, etc. Fortunately, where I live, fresh fish and farm-raised organic chicken are de rigueur but expensive. I also do not eat fruit and vegetables from Mexico due (mostly) to the water quality.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
More generalizations. Do you know which countries comprise "Asia"? Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaija, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uzbekistan, Vietnam, and Yemen.
BTW - the first article is from 2012, and the second article is from 2009.
The problem with farmed tilapia is in Vietnam. There might be problems in neighboring countries, but I don't remember which ones. You are welcome to research this yourself online. I am only reporting what I have read; the safety of the fish seems questionable to me.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The problem with farmed tilapia is in Vietnam. There might be problems in neighboring countries, but I don't remember which ones. You are welcome to research this yourself online. I am only reporting what I have read; the safety of the fish seems questionable to me.
I don't eat tilapia, no matter where it comes from. I just don't like the texture and lack of flavor.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:29 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Which is Healthier: Wild Salmon vs Farmed Salmon | Prevention

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...farmed-salmon/

Farmed vs. Wild Salmon :: Washington State Department of Health

The truth about tilapia | Fox News

It goes on and on. I tasted farmed salmon once, so that I would have a legitimate opinion on the subject of taste vs. wild Alaska(where I lived for 40 years and commercial fished for 10 years) salmon. I found the texture a zero, like soft wax, the flavor was soapy, the color unrealistic. It was terrible, though it was prepared at a well respected upscale seafood restaurant in Anchorage.

Farming fish kills jobs, requires more resources to raise, is a great threat to wild stocks and habitat and is an inferior product compared to wild salmon. Lastly, it tastes like crap. Generally speaking any/all farmed fish I have tasted fits the above description. Many share my opinion.

I agree - the wild salmon has a brighter color and better flavor. After watching a documentary on fish farming practices I avoid farm raised fish as much as possible. However, I do understand that eventually the world is going to have to resort to farm raised fish as we are depleting our natural stock of food from the sea.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
I can buy wild caught mussels.
Covered in barnacles full of mud and sand
Or I can buy. Farmed mussels that are cleaner and taste better

Farmed seafood became an option for sustainability
Of many species or seafood

If there were no farmed seafood much of wild seafood would be 25.00 lb
And might even eradicate species

Farmed seafood keeps the costs down it may not be perfect but it's affordable and many. Wouldn't be
Eating any seafood if there wasn't farmed

My god. First world problems that allow us to be so picky

Old 08-10-2017, 01:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Farmed seafood keeps the costs down it may not be perfect but it's affordable and many. Wouldn't be

I agree that farmed seafood should be a no brainer. But in practice, there are problems. I simply don't trust the farming of tilapia, which fish I used to eat happily. Farmed Atlantic salmon are questionable as well.

Today at Whole Foods, I saw a sustainably farmed package of Atlantic salmon. But below it was wild salmon caught and processed in the US. I'd choose the latter if I was buying.

The problem is magnified when a third world country, with no inspections or environmental controls, can supply fish more cheaply than we can in a first world country. I believe that is what is happening.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:05 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Remember that the people who are complaining the most about the farmed seafood often benefit the most from the higher seafood prices.

Fish and seafood will soon be priced off the menu of most working class families.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:20 AM

4,861 posts, read 2,672,101 times
farm raised seafood from Asia are raised in the same water that human sewage is dumped into..

Old 08-12-2017, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
farm raised seafood from Asia are raised in the same water that human sewage is dumped into..
Even if true and none of us really know for certain, don't you think they are cleaned while be processed
What is the difference between what you claim and the fish in our country that eat each others waste? We can all say we read this or that, but most articles have an agenda they are trying to push. Most of us get our information from what we read, still we do not know how reliable it is. Heck I can pick up a paper today that may have an article telling us Trump is the greatest president we have ever had or Obama was loved by his entire cabinet but this doesn't make it true does it? We need to take these articles on cleanliness with a grain of salt or at least not base everything on what we read. I do try and buy products, especially things like meat from regions I feel 100% safe buying from but I also am not unrealistic. I love my fish and buy it regardless of where it was manufactured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink