U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM

38,903 posts, read 56,732,263 times

Advertisements

They ask for 10 cups of broth - so measure 10 cups of warm water into a pot, then add bullion according to YOUR taste - not what the bullion directions say. Add slowly, dissolve, TASTE, then add more if needed.
As others said - that stuff is very salty...
There is ready to use broth to buy - you can check the nutrition label for fat/salt/ingredients content, and I am pretty sure, you could dilute it a bit with water.
Cubed bullion doesn't taste great. Be careful - it could ruin your recipe.

Also depends on recipe, sometimes you could add plain water and season the dish later, when you start adding other ingredients to it...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 03:08 PM

235 posts, read 410,899 times
While I agree that you should ultimately make it to suit your own taste, the correct ratio for bouillon cubes would be 10 cubes for 10 cups of water. One cube per cup is standard.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:09 PM

22,570 posts, read 14,830,058 times
I have been using reduced sodium chicken broth which I find at Whole Foods. I recommend using that or a similar product for recipes calling for broth. You can always add salt, but you can't take it out of a finished dish. There are multiple brands of chicken broth packaged in square carboard containers. Find the brand you like and use that the instead of unhealthy, over salted boullion cubes.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:37 PM

7,171 posts, read 9,453,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have a chicken/rice recipe that calls for 10 cups of broth. Since I am using bullions does that mean 10 cups of water with 10 cubes of chicken bullion?
Yes, but broth or stock will save you the MSG headache!

Old 08-29-2019, 02:28 PM

9,657 posts, read 11,099,415 times
Bullion will become extremely salty as it reduces. Use low sodium broth. As one poster stated: you can always add more, but you can't take it out.

Add MSG to help create umami. It's for those of us who appreciate good food. The more different glutamates you have, the better your food will taste.

Quote:
While some people identify themselves as sensitive to MSG, a study commissioned by the FDA was only able to identify transient, mild symptoms in a few of the subjects, and only when the MSG was consumed in unrealistically large quantities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Old 08-29-2019, 02:31 PM

38,903 posts, read 56,732,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Yes, but broth or stock will save you the MSG headache!
Too late, buddy... This was two years ago.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 08-29-2019 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-30-2019, 07:06 AM

6,486 posts, read 3,693,571 times
Heh, old thread.

The only bouillon I consistently use any more is ham base for bean soup. Too often the others have an off flavor to me.

I do have one old recipe from an aunt that called for a single crushed beef bouillon cube for a rice and pork chop dish with celery and onion that I thought was good.

I'm glad to have the canned or boxed broth available today for those times when making my own is too time-consuming. I thing I notice is that the low sodium version, at least in the poultry broth, seems to have more herbs in it which I don't want. Prefer to use my own blend.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:20 AM

936 posts, read 497,243 times
someone should have called for the OP to post the recipe. 10 cups is a lot, wondering what kind of dish it was for, possibly chicken noodle soup?

This is just personal, but i normally dont like following recipes closely in the first place. It's a good starting point, but following recipes closely without understanding what you're doing is a recipe for a dish that's going to disappoint. too salty, too watery, too overcooked, too undercooked, etc.

my preference is to save frozen chicken carcasses to make my own broth, then add sodium as needed. I'm normally too lazy for it, but many people portion and freeze homemade chicken broth as well.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:54 AM

3,571 posts, read 4,261,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have a chicken/rice recipe that calls for 10 cups of broth. Since I am using bullions does that mean 10 cups of water with 10 cubes of chicken bullion?

We have switched to using "Better than Broth" instead of cubes. I think it tastes better (and is usually available at Costco!).

Old 08-31-2019, 03:31 PM

6,922 posts, read 4,299,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
We have switched to using "Better than Broth" instead of cubes. I think it tastes better (and is usually available at Costco!).
I use it too...it's actually called "Better than Bouillon." The chicken, beef, and vegetable versions are all good. It's also easy to customize the amount you use, as it's a concentrated paste instead of hard cubes. Our Costco currently only has the chicken flavor, so I have to get the others in smaller sizes at the regular supermarket.

I got a good laugh from this thread, with so many people talking about cooking with "bullion." I guess that would be pretty valuable food, but hard to chew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or