Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times

Advertisements

Gee, no one enjoys a simple stack of IHOP's pancakes? I'm still trying to replicate the recipe at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 08:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
I haven't been to either one in years. The last time I was at an Applebee's my steak had a funny taste and if I want pancakes I go to Perkins or make my own buttermilk pancakes. I don't care for restaurants that basically serve Sysco foods that only requires heating in a microwave. If I'm going to do that I may as well stay home, save the money and eat healthier.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:28 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Gee, no one enjoys a simple stack of IHOP's pancakes? I'm still trying to replicate the recipe at home.
If I want pancakes, there are a dozen or so local or non-chain places I'd go before IHOP.

The only time I ever really eat at a place like Applebees or IHOP is if I'm traveling for work and there's one close by the hotel. If I'm tired and hungry from traveling I don't want to think too hard about food. At least with those places you know what you're getting (even if it's not that great.)

Old 08-12-2017, 09:00 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I have seen Applebee's locations closing down for years, so I'm surprised it's still afloat period. IHOP fills an hour 24 hour with breakfast all day niche, though, so I'm more surprised that they are having trouble. Both are lackluster to me, though.
What trouble? As has already been explained, IHOP is expanding. According to the linked article, approximately 20-25 underperforming IHOP locations will close, but IHOP will open 80-95 new restaurants, with most of them being in the U.S.

Now, does that sound like they're in trouble?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Minimum wage jobs are not supposed to be a life long career.

xxxx.
What a horrible thing to say. They just don't employ minimum wage waitstaff. The kitchen crew probably averages $15 an hour along with a kitchen manager/ex chef at the $60,000 range along with the assistant managers $45,000 and gm in the $60-$80,000 range.

The account execs for the food services also take a hit on their check and they also may have families.

This goes a lot further than you think.

In some of the smaller markets these restaurants are in, there may NOT be another option for single parents, heads of households, students, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraging View Post
What's wrong with food on sysco trucks?
Nothing. Marciax3 doesn't realize that just about every restaurant on the planet orders from Sysco.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:19 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,146,952 times
Quote:
What's wrong is that if you order an entree that came off a Sysco truck and it has some sort of sauce on top of it, you can actually see the lines from where the sauce was frozen.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:42 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
Quote:
Seriously? SYSCO food is cooked, overly seasoned with salt & MSG, put in plastic pouches, quick-frozen & driven many miles from its destination. Then, it is re-heated in a convection oven & served as a "fresh, hot meal". Even salads are prepared off-site & transported in.

All chain restaurants use this "cooking method".

Remember back in the day when Burger King said their burgers were "flame broiled"? Well, they were, now they are not.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Marciax3 doesn't realize that just about every restaurant on the planet orders from Sysco.

Uhhh, yes I do, & that's why I don't spend my $$$ there.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 08-12-2017 at 12:05 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 11:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
What a horrible thing to say. They just don't employ minimum wage waitstaff. The kitchen crew probably averages $15 an hour along with a kitchen manager/ex chef at the $60,000 range along with the assistant managers $45,000 and gm in the $60-$80,000 range.

The account execs for the food services also take a hit on their check and they also may have families.

This goes a lot further than you think.

In some of the smaller markets these restaurants are in, there may NOT be another option for single parents, heads of households, students, etc.

Nothing. Marciax3 doesn't realize that just about every restaurant on the planet orders from Sysco.
hay, I took the comment as generalizing and it is true: min wage jobs are not supposed to be a life long plan. Yes, there are times when it is the only job available and thee can be money made as a server at the right restaurant but a company can not exist if the are losing money just to keep others employed. oh and BTW, a good GM of a restaurant makes more money than you are suggesting. I am talking top of the line restaurants even if they are chains.

Yes, we all realize most restaurants order from Sysco or most middle of the road chains that is, but this does show the quality is mediocre.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Here ya go...Krusteaz pancake mix...nothing nasty in it. Add 1 tsp. to 3/4 TB. Baking POWDER, 1 tsp. real vanilla extract. Make batter on the thin side, ladle onto a well-BUTTERED griddle...griddle does not need to be pricey, if you cook on gas, buy a cheaper one for right on the burner.

Do not flip until you see bubbles on top, then flip once.

Serve with REAL maple syrup, not this high-fructose corn syrup crap.

Or, look elsewhere in the Food Forum for DirtGrinder's favorite pancake mix...I would buy it, but no Publix here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink