Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times

Advertisements

I love Angel Hair Pasta. And Linguine. And Regular Spaghetti.
It depends on the sauce usually, as to which one I use.
Any more, I use it just as often as Spaghetti..if not more. I like the lighter feel.
It works well with lighter sauces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 10:36 AM

99,498 posts, read 4,488,781 times
I generally use regular spaghetti, but occasionally I'm in the mood for Angel Hair for a bit of a change.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:51 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I love Angel Hair Pasta. And Linguine. And Regular Spaghetti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
I generally use regular spaghetti, but occasionally I'm in the mood for Angel Hair for a bit of a change.
Ever since I discovered angel hair, I haven't wanted regular spaghetti. And I was never a fan of linguine. When I use a chunkier sauce, I prefer cavatappi.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:31 AM

564 posts, read 448,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
No, I only like the short pastas, long ones, like angel hair or spaghetti make too much of a mess. But I have known people who really like AH.

Eat what you like.
Your comment interested me. Aren't they all the same, ingredient-wise. Yet, they "taste" quite different. I guess it's texture??

Anyway, I don't have a preference between thin and regular spaghetti but favor both over AH.

DW always bought thin because it cooked in 11 or 12 minutes versus 13/14 for regular. Too long? Not when your home's elevation is 9000'. It's still a little stiff after eight minutes.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
I'm in my 50s and even back in the day, old school Italian restaurants in the NYC area used "pasta" on their menus. They were divided into antipasto, pasta and secondi sections on the menu. Within the pasta section, the individual dishes specified which type.

Unlike in Italy, each portion was very large, so it's not common to order multiple courses because the pasta dishes are entree-sized, and the meat entrees frequently are served with a side of pasta anyway.

It's true that people didn't say "We're having pasta for dinner" when they were serving spaghetti and meatballs at home, but the term wasn't completely unused.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:22 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,682 times
I prefer AH over regular spaghetti. I love that's it's skinny. It's easier to get around the fork, and I can put more in my mouth .

Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm in my 50s and even back in the day, old school Italian restaurants in the NYC area used "pasta" on their menus. They were divided into antipasto, pasta and secondi sections on the menu. Within the pasta section, the individual dishes specified which type.

Unlike in Italy, each portion was very large, so it's not common to order multiple courses because the pasta dishes are entree-sized, and the meat entrees frequently are served with a side of pasta anyway.

It's true that people didn't say "We're having pasta for dinner" when they were serving spaghetti and meatballs at home, but the term wasn't completely unused.
No, you are right, and I think I alluded to that in my earlier post. "Old school Italian restaurants" would very likely have been the ones who used the term "pasta".

I grew up 30 miles outside of Manhattan, and while people think of New Jersey as heavily Italian because of TV shows and movies, where I lived there hardly were any Italian people. I was a teenager before I ever knew someone whose mother made their own sauce, and the reaction was like, "WHY on earth would you make spaghetti sauce? It comes in a jar!"

When I was fifteen, my piano teacher took me to hear an oratorio at St. Bart's. This would have been 1973.
We went for Italian food afterward, at a restaurant in the city, a little place on a side street. That was the first time I ever had real Italian. It just wasn't a thing out in the burbs yet. I remember I had no idea what anything on the menu even was, but I ended up with stuffed shells and I have loved them ever since!

Old 08-12-2017, 09:58 PM

385 posts, read 205,329 times
Only with a light sauce. With a heavier sauce I prefer vermicelli or other substantial pasta.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:54 AM

16,903 posts, read 16,114,481 times
Angel hair and rotini, rotelli...but Angel hair is the greatest.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:36 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
I like "thin" spaghetti...but not so much Angel Hair.....although, I'll eat almost any pasta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink