U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 PM

5,115 posts, read 10,030,617 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am craving mashed potatoes today, so cooked some potatoes, mashed them up after they were done, but I like them a bit chunky, so I don't overmash them. Then I put in some frozen peas, sour cream and herb salt, tastes yummy! I also love mashed carrots mixed in with mashed potatoes and recently tried some mashed turnips mixed with the potatoes, also yummy...
any other ideas?
Mashed Potatoes are such a comfort food

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 03:35 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,246,067 times
soemtimes put a package of lipton soup (powder_ any flavor, but then dont add any salt...yummy

Old 03-13-2008, 03:47 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,222,010 times
This mashed potato recipe I make and will be making it for Easter dinner.

Yukon Gold Potatoes-cut up and placed in a pot with cold water and a dash of salt. Cover, bring to a boil and cook 12-15 mins. until cooked through. Drain, put saucepan back on the stove and cook a minute shaking the pan to get rid of excess water. I always use a ricer, the potatoes come out airy and the gluten in the potatoes do not come out sticky. Salt and pepper to taste with 1/2 and 1/2. While the potatoes are cooking, in another saucepan melt 4-5 pats of sweet butter (depending on how many potatoes you are making), slice up 3-4 shallots and brown until slightly crisp, add to your riced mashed potatoes. Absolutely delicious.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Those ideas sound yummy, thanks for sharing!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:57 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
I agree mashed potatoes are comfort food. In the Netherlands and Belgium, two countries where potatoes are a staple, we make different versions. I plucked this one here Belgian Recipes - Main Course - Flemish Hotpot (Belgian) (http://www.belgian-recipes.be/recipe_flemish_hotpot.html - broken link) as one example.

But stoofpot is poor man's hotpot and generally is made without any meat--and lots and lots of potatoes, beet greens and the occasional carrot.

My son mastered this dish, as his favourite, and makes it all sorts of ways for American friends and Dutch visitors.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I agree mashed potatoes are comfort food. In the Netherlands and Belgium, two countries where potatoes are a staple, we make different versions. I plucked this one here Belgian Recipes - Main Course - Flemish Hotpot (Belgian) (http://www.belgian-recipes.be/recipe_flemish_hotpot.html - broken link) as one example.

But stoofpot is poor man's hotpot and generally is made without any meat--and lots and lots of potatoes, beet greens and the occasional carrot.

My son mastered this dish, as his favourite, and makes it all sorts of ways for American friends and Dutch visitors.

Hmm, that sounds really yummy (the veggie version ). Never thought of beet greens! I bet they are really healthy, too!

Old 03-13-2008, 05:43 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,054,641 times
When boiling your potatoes I put in some whole pieces of garlic, it flavors the potatoes.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:05 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,610,199 times
I have 'unbutton your pants' mashers. Before mashing, add sour cream,salt, butter and cream cheese, thin to desired consistency with 1/2 and 1/2, pour in sprayed 13x9 (or larger for big serving) and dot top with butter,sprinkle with paprika,bake 350 about 25 min. Hard to give a recipe as it depends on how many spuds, but do it to taste my granny says, and make sure the sour cream and cream cheese, butter are room temp.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,149,944 times
I like 'em with garlic, pepper, butter, sour cream, and either chicken stock or milk.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 PM

13,486 posts, read 29,425,055 times
I whip a little bit of mayonnaise into mine (it doesn't take much). It kinda gives the potatoes a sour cream taste, but not as strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink