Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 03:28 PM

581 posts, read 456,264 times

Advertisements

If there's a tip jar at the counter and my bill comes to $9.15, I'll hand them a ten and usually throw the change in the jar. But do I tip on a credit card or dig cash out of my wallet? No.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:42 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I always tip for takeout, usually toss a buck in the jar.
And I make sure the staff sees me do it.

This pays off. We went to our usual place; another car deliberately cut us off coming in and took the last convenient parking spot--so they were in line ahead of us. We placed our order, left a tip, and got our order several minutes before the rude jerks got theirs. Haha.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:50 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
There is a different order number for takeout at most places - it is not assigned to a floor waiter and anyplace with a huge takeout volume is not going to tax a single waiter.

This is an interesting debate. The logic used to tip or not is interesting - If you tip on take out why not tip at Mcdonalds, Chik-Fila, Chipotle, or any of those new fast casual places - Zoe's Kitchen or Mezze, or picking up a pizza, etc.

I tip on some takeout at places I go regularly - like On-the-Border but usually only a token amount.
I've gotten take-out dinners that were packed by a floor waitress.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:53 PM

5,740 posts, read 4,694,854 times
I took my kids to get frozen yogurt the other day, and we went to a self-serve yogurt place.

Their was a tip jar on the counter. For what? The place is self-serve for crying out loud.

I'm supposed to tip the high-school kid for pushing a few buttons on the cash register?

Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Serious question: When ordering To-Go, are you supposed to tip? If so, what are you tipping for? Who are you tipping? Common sense tells me no, but then I can't help but wonder what the server/cashier thinks when I hand the signed receipt back with no tip left.
My understanding is that you should give tip to people who work for tips.

And I think, the tipping stuff is now way out of control. We are consumed by the thoughts, and overly worried who supposed to get tips and how much. And since we "want" to tip just about everyone (even business owners), and are pretty generous about it too - opportunists are putting out all kinds of jars and containers labelled - TIPS, and expect to get those.
By the end of the day, it makes a handy "change", on a top of their hourly wages or even salaries.

Is a person giving you Order-to-Go working for tips? Is a store cashier working for tips? I don't think so! So why do you want to share with them your hard earned money? Is anyone giving YOU tips for work YOU do (assuming you don't work for tips)?

I so wish that this craziness stops, things change and work for tips get eliminated...

Last edited by elnina; 08-23-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 07:15 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Friend, it is not mismanagement so much as a tax loophole. That is what needs to be corrected.
This is not the fault of the waiter. It is the industry and their lobbyists.
No. THAT I won't disagree on. But knowing some of the folks here who criticize MW and FF workers that "if you don't like what you're making, go find another job and 'better yourself'". It's a double standard. We should be saying the same thing to them too. Whether if it's your employer pays you, or the customer, you're at someone's mercy either way.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:19 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I took my kids to get frozen yogurt the other day, and we went to a self-serve yogurt place.

Their was a tip jar on the counter. For what? The place is self-serve for crying out loud.

I'm supposed to tip the high-school kid for pushing a few buttons on the cash register?
They do stuff behind the counter too (at least I'm assuming since they may be shorthanded like any other venue). If you'd care to show appreciation, then tip.

If you don't no one's judging you. Well, you'll get none of that from me at least. Other folks on this thread... not so sure, but then again, that is the point of this thread [shrug]. If those store employees make a stink about, then that's a whole other matter.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't care what they think. If I'm picking it up myself, I'm not tipping.
Same here.

In fact, if you don't pull out my chair and hand me a cloth napkin, or the meal is a rush-us-in-and-out, you are not getting more than 10%.

On the other hand, great service gets a great tip.

P.S. I think the practice of tipping by percentage stinks.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:11 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
I only order take out from a local family owned Greek place, occasionally..
They take exceptional pride in preparation,cleanliness and accuracy..
My order is $18.00 and I give a $4.00 tip..

They are extremely friendly and always remember me and my order, to me they earn it..

Besides them, I'm not sure I'd tip on take out..

Old 08-22-2017, 09:20 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I generally don't tip for takeout. If I'm going there, picking up the food/drink, paying for it, carrying it home, cleaning up and disposing of the trash, what is there to tip for?

I don't like tip jars at the takeout counter either, as the implication is that I should tip for wait service even though no wait service is being rendered.

On the other hand, if I'm dining in, I'm a generous tipper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink