U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,886,893 times

Advertisements

Have you ever cooked 'en papillote' ? - in a parcel?

You just make envelopes out of aluminum foil, with all your ingredients inside, by folding over the ends to make a seal and put them on the grill! Or in the oven. Add all the herbs, spices and flavourings and a drop of wine, so it all comes out in its own juices. Really easy but quite fancy and fun to serve.

With maybe some grilled mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant and salad.....mmmmm

like this...
Chicken in Parchment With Thyme (Poulet En Papillote Au Thym) Recipe | Recipezaar

or put the veggies in the package and bake in the oven;
Recipes : Chicken and Vegetable Ribbons en Papillote with Emeril's Lemon Butter Sauce : Food Network

It's called 'packet grilling' too

Lemon Pepper Chicken Packet - Grilled Chicken Recipe

Last edited by southdown; 03-14-2008 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 03:19 PM

690 posts, read 2,359,891 times
Packet grilling is terrific - we've done it with lots of things and love it.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:25 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,164,255 times
I would opt for some take out chinese or pizza.....and serve it on really dinner ware. Pretend you cooked, and enjoy a bottle of wine. Better to take things slow

Old 03-14-2008, 03:38 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,254,732 times
Good advice-I know the day we moved in permanently (our builder was nice enough to let us clean, set up furniture the days prior) we were drained emotionally and physically. My S-I-L showed up with a pot of chicken dumpling soup-never was anything so welcomed.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 PM

738 posts, read 610,698 times
OK, your first dinner in a new home should be unforgettable!

Try this-

Baby Beets and Pistachio Crusted Goat Cheese on a Bed of Frisee with Pinot Noir Vinaigrette

4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
12 fresh whole sage leaves
2 slices prosciutto, julienned
1 shallot, sliced in rings
1 bottle Pinot Noir wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
12 red baby beets, trimmed
1 goat cheese log (4 to 6 ounces)
6 ounces pistachios, crushed
1 head frisie, torn in bite-size pieces
1 bunch watercress, stems discarded
Beet greens, from trimmings
1/4 cup olive oil

Coat a small saucepan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and place over medium heat. Fry the sage until the leaves crisp up, about 2 minutes. Gently remove to a paper towel. Then, fry the prosciutto until crispy and remove with a slotted spoon.
Coat the saucepan with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the shallot and saute for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with wine and balsamic vinegar, cook down about 3 minutes. Add the sugar, salt and pepper. Set the beets in the poaching liquid and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Set beets aside to cool and reserve the poaching liquid. When cool enough to handle, rub off the beet skins with paper towel. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
With a hot knife, cut the goat cheese log into 4 equal wheels. Lay the crushed pistachios on a flat surface and gently press the cheese into the nuts to coat all sides.
Arrange a handful of frisie, watercress and beet greens on each plate. Lay the beets and goat cheese slices on top. Top with fried sage and crispy prosciutto. Whisk the cooled poaching liquid with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the vinaigrette over each salad and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings

BLUE CHEESE STUFFED FILETS WITH BACON MASHED POTATOES

6 ounces bacon, chopped
4 (8-ounce) filet mignons
1 cup crumbled Stilton cheese or any type of blue-veined cheese
Creole seasoning
3 tablespoons olive oil
Creole seasoning
1 small onion, cut into 1/8-inch rings
1/2 cup Crystal Hot Sauce
1/2 cup flour
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup demi-glace
1/2 cup port wine
1 recipe Creamed Potatoes, reicpe follows
1/2 cup port wine
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a hot sauté pan, render the bacon until crispy, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. On the side of each filet make a 2-inch slit forming a pocket. Stuff each pocket with 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Season the filets with Creole seasoning. In oven-proof sauté pan, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, sear the filets for 2 minutes on each side. Place the pan in the oven and roast the filets for 6 to7 minutes for medium-rare. Toss the onions with the hot sauce. Season with salt. Dredge the onions in the flour, tapping off any excess. Heat the vegetable oil. Fry the onions until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with Creole seasoning. Remove the filets from the pan and set aside. Place the sauté pan on the stove. Over medium-high heat, deglaze the pan with the demi-glace and port wine. Remove from the heat and keep warm. Fold the bacon and bacon fat into the creamed potatoes. To assemble, divide the potatoes by 4 and mound the potatoes in the center of each plate. Lay each filet on top of the potatoes. Spoon the pan sauce over each filet. Garnish each plate with the remaining cheese, fried onions and parsley.
Yield: 4 main-course servings

CREAMED POTATOES
4 cups peeled and diced white potatoes (about 2 pounds)
Salt
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 head Roasted Garlic, pulp removed
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Combine the potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cover the potatoes with water and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Return, the potatoes to the pan and over low heat, stir them with a fork or wire whisk for about 2 minutes to dehydrate them. Add the cream and garlic pulp. Stir to mix well. Add the white pepper. Mix well.
Yield: 4 servings

Buy a really good prepared dessert from your local grocery. Sip Champagne with your spouse while cooking dinner and munching on your favorite appetizer. Serve a good Cabernet or Shiraz with dinner.

Congratulations!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,063,426 times
I agree with everyone on the steak dinner. Congradulations and happy cooking!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:58 PM

2,374 posts, read 5,252,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I would opt for some take out chinese or pizza.....and serve it on really dinner ware. Pretend you cooked, and enjoy a bottle of wine. Better to take things slow
This is typically what my first dinner in a new place (move in day) and the last dinner in the old place (move out day). But those 2 days I'm so tired from the loading and driving and unloading that I just don't feel like cooking anything.

Of course once I'm all settled in and the kitchen is unpacked (usually 2nd day) then it's a very nice dinner!!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:05 PM

1,939 posts, read 5,493,178 times
My first thought was meatloaf, all you need is a baking dish. If that's not your style then Id cook up a good filet or a NY strip steak on the grill. Serve up some homemade mashed potatoes and a nice steamed vege (maybe with some velveeta Mmm) A glass of wine and a nice dessert; perhaps some creme puffs or a key lime pie.. Wow Im hungry!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 AM

3,367 posts, read 9,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Monday will be the first time I'll cook dinner in my new home. I would like to make something special but not complicated either as I don't have much in terms of pots and pans (need to buy some). I do, however, have a charcoal grill. What would you make? (fyi, seafood dishes are out for me because I don't like it).
So - what did you have?

Hope it was good!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 AM

25,577 posts, read 23,828,745 times
Well, Ive ordered take out the first couple of nights, but I dont do anything overboard otherwise. It depends on how fast I can find my boxes of cookware of the microwave, whichever comes first determines what goes on the table for the first 'official' meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink