U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 AM

202 posts, read 226,352 times

Advertisements

So I was eating breakfast at a hotel this morning and I happened to choose two hard-boiled eggs. Sat down, cut into one of them - and saw something I have never seen before in my 50 years of eating eggs - hard boiled and otherwise. This egg yolk was totally completely white. It literally was the same color as the egg white. I was so puzzled by this that I just figured maybe this was a "thing" that I just didn't know about, so I ate it as usual and left but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Was it safe to eat? Has anyone else seen this before? A little Internet research seems to indicate it must be because the hen that laid this egg ate only white - like corn meal - feed, but still I am a little disturbed and curious. Wouldn't all mass-produced commercially bought and sold eggs be from the same chickens that all eat the same thing? How would one white egg make it from wherever it started to my plate? If I had cracked this egg open at home, I probably would have thrown it away but given my crowded and public surroundings it was just easiest to eat it.

Thoughts? Info? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:00 AM

590 posts, read 256,536 times
It really does have to do with the birds diet. I've never seen it, but have heard of it.
It's not bad for you at all, just different than what you are used to having.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:07 AM

2,133 posts, read 1,767,818 times
Too funny! Concerned about eating the egg well after the fact.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:22 AM

3,337 posts, read 1,486,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
A little Internet research seems to indicate it must be because the hen that laid this egg ate only white - like corn meal - feed, but still I am a little disturbed and curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
It really does have to do with the birds diet. I've never seen it, but have heard of it.
"Bird's diet" is correct. Whatever the chicken eats translates into the color of the egg yolk. Some farmers even feed their chickens chopped-up marigolds (an orange-yellow flower), to balance out the chickens' "white" diet, and help make the egg yolk into a more normal yellow color.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:53 AM

36,432 posts, read 54,454,975 times
Yolk color depends on the hen’s diet. If a hen eats plenty of yellow-orange plant pigments called xanthophylls, the xanthophylls will be deposited in the egg yolk. Hens fed mashes containing yellow corn or alfalfa meal lay eggs with medium yellow yolks, while those eating wheat or barley yield lighter-colored yolks. A colorless diet, such as white cornmeal, produces almost colorless yolks.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:36 AM

71,039 posts, read 82,347,760 times
regardless as to why, how strange it would be to find a yokeless egg.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:28 AM

202 posts, read 226,352 times
I have spent the last 24 hours researching this and have contacted about 5 egg and poultry industry organizations. I am waiting for a reply from some of them and the ones I did hear back from have never seen nor heard of a completely white egg yolk - which shocked me. I seriously doubt that the one egg-laying hen that produced my egg was fed anything different from the other millions of chickens in the country's system. Besides, this yolk wasn't just really light yellow, it was absolutely white with no pigment at all. The best explanation/theory I have heard is that this hen must have been albino.

I'll get back to you once I hear from a reliable expert.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 AM

590 posts, read 256,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I have spent the last 24 hours researching this and have contacted about 5 egg and poultry industry organizations. I am waiting for a reply from some of them and the ones I did hear back from have never seen nor heard of a completely white egg yolk - which shocked me. I seriously doubt that the one egg-laying hen that produced my egg was fed anything different from the other millions of chickens in the country's system. Besides, this yolk wasn't just really light yellow, it was absolutely white with no pigment at all. The best explanation/theory I have heard is that this hen must have been albino.

I'll get back to you once I hear from a reliable expert.
You've got a great point. I'm very curious as to what you find out.

Thank you for checking into it! Good luck!

Old 08-30-2017, 11:13 AM

9,320 posts, read 3,636,373 times
I wish you had taken a picture of it! I googled "white egg yolk" and happened upon sites where people were saying the yolk was white, but it wasn't. It's just kind of the color of butter. Which is certainly lighter than typical, but it isn't white.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,343,450 times
Past egg and poultry producer here.

I'm wondering if you might possibly have gotten an old egg that had been accidentally addled before it was packaged and sold. An addled old egg that had a pale yolk to start with is the only explanation I can think of that would produce a nearly white egg yolk, and even then the entire egg, including the white, should have had a yellowish cast to it and it should have had a stale, slightly sulphuric taste to it.

What did the yolk taste like (bland or rich), what kind of texture did it have (crumbly or rubbery?), and how was the shape and size of the yolk compared to the egg white? Also what shade of white was the egg white and was the egg white firm or soft and watery? If the eggs were boiled there should have been just a hint of grey colouration around the outside surface of the egg yolk.

I worked as manager for several years at a poultry farm and hatchery where we produced a variety of poultry and their eggs, not only chickens but also turkeys, ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, peacocks, etc. One of my duties was egg-candling - that is examining inside eggs for fertility, viability and embryo development before and during their time inside the commercial incubator. After having examined many hundreds of thousands of eggs (both inside the shell and outside of the shell) I can tell you I have never seen nor heard of a white egg yolk, although I guess it might be possible, but it would be a very freaky anomoly.

I have seen chicken eggs with only egg white and no yolk at all, and eggs that are double and triple yolked, and eggs with yolks that ranged in colour from very palest primrose yellow all the way up to dark scarlet red depending on what they were eating. I have even seen compromised incubator eggs with yolks that were purple and green and black from putrefaction. But never a white egg yolk.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink